Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish troops to Iraq?

Options
  • 30-08-2003 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

It look increasingly likely that the Irish Defence Forces will be asked in the coming days or weeks to send Irish troops into Iraq, in light of the recent bombing.

Personally I think its high time the International Community got involved in Iraq. The contributing nations should be sent under a UN mandate and be under control of the US and UK forces.

what’s everyone’s thoughts on this? Do you think we should be supporting the operations in Iraq? The Irish government is lobbing hard on behalf of Irish companies for reconstruction like sewage treatment plants, roads and other infrastructure, shouldn’t we be contributing troops as well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Aindriu

Irish troops may be sent to help in Iraq disaster
    The Irish Independent
    30-August-2003
    Susan Garraty and Brian Dowling

IRELAND could soon be asked to contribute troops to a new mutlinational force aimed at quelling growing attacks and violence in war-torn Iraq.

Moves towards such a force are likely to gather momentum after yesterday's massive car bomb attack in the Iraqi holy city of Najaf that killed up to 85 people, including one of Iraq's most senior Shia Muslim clerics, Ayatollah Mohammed Baqir al-Hakim.

Ayatollah al-Hakim, a vital ally of American and British forces, had just finished his usual Friday sermon and was making his way to his car through worshippers when the bomb exploded.

Scores died with him, in the biggest death toll yet in the spate of bombings that has hit Iraq this month. People were digging among the rubble for survivors last night, but all they found were severed human limbs and other body parts.

Officials in Baghdad last night described the attack as a disaster for attempts to bring some stability to Iraq. It killed more people than the previous bombings at the United Nations and the Jordanian Embassy put together.

At least 142 people were injured in the blast, and the death toll is expected to rise.

Political pressure has now been heightened in Washington to seek a broader-based international force with a new mandate from the UN for peacekeeping efforts in Iraq - amid growing concern that US troops may become bogged down in a Vietnam guerrilla-like war of attrition with rebel forces.

According to American and Irish diplomatic sources in the the US, the Bush administration is anxious that if a new multinational force is given the go-ahead by the UN, it should command wide support - including a commitment from Ireland.

The US-led invasion of Iraq provoked major difficulties for the Government here when it provided refuelling and stop-over facilities for the American military aircraft and troops at Shannon Airport.

Any request for Ireland to participate in a new force - even with a UN mandate - could re-kindle the political difficulties for the Government, especially if the force was under the operational command of the US military in Iraq.

Last night, a spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs said they were not aware of any request to date for Ireland to make a military contribution to peacekeeping or humanitarian duties in Iraq.

A Government spokeswoman pointed out that the issue of any Irish troops serving in a mission abroad, including humanitarian duties, is subject to a "triple lock" mechanism.

There would have to be a resolution from the UN Security Council, and a request on foot of this. The Government would have to approve the request and it would then have to be endorsed by the Oireachtas.

She pointed out there was no such UN resolution at this time and that at present the UN role in Iraq was confined to humanitarian efforts.

A senior Irish diplomat in the US said, however, that Ireland, along with other friendly capitals in the EU, would be asked to contribute forces, in the event of a new UN resolution. France and Germany have offered initial positive reactions for such a force. Britain remains the biggest ally to the US with several thousand troops still committed to Iraq.

Yesterday's huge car bomb attack took place at the Tomb of Ali mosque as thousands were pouring out after noon prayers, the Muslim day of rest.

For hours after the blast there was still pandemonium as people screamed in the streets in grief and anger, and searched through the rubble for more victims.

Supporters of the ousted Iraqi leader, Saddam Hussein, are suspected to be behind the attack in an effort to further destablise the country.

In a separate development yesterday, an American soldier was killed and four others wounded when their convoy came under attack from three rocket-propelled grenades on a main road near Baqouba, 40 miles north-east of Baghdad.

Susan Garraty and Brian Dowling

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That really would be the last ****ing straw.
    First, we didn't want to support the war, and they deployed the troops against the protestors.
    Now they want to send our troops into Iraq to facilitate the US while they strip the country bare?
    Feck that. I have friends in the PDF, I don't particularly feel like seeing them get shoved into that meatgrinder so some dumb pratt from Texas can win the next US election...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Aindriu
    Personally I think its high time the International Community got involved in Iraq. The contributing nations should be sent under a UN mandate and be under control of the US and UK forces.
    I'll be in favour of it if we can have the French and Russians in charge instead. And maybe the Canadians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

IRISH TROOPS TO IRAQ?..

NO,NO, and NO again.

Send our lads and lassies in too a hellhole, not of our making - and in support of the US?..

Forget it.

P.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A friend of mine is in the National Guard in the USA and is dreading call up. I don't think he has an actual problem serving. More a problem serving in the wrong place with the wrong people.

Would I allow Irish soldiers go to Iraq? I would be slow to do so, not necessarily out of fear of them being killed, but out of fear for the message it would send. I think the style of operation the Americans are using (shoot first, check later) is inappropriate for the circumstances.

Under American command? Irish soldiers have operated under American command in Somalia and Afghanistan. They operate under NATO / EU command in the former Yugoslavia. I think what is needed is a command structure that is acceptable to the international community and the majority of ordinary Iraqis.

I understand the armies operating in Iraq at the moment are: USA, UK, Australia, Denmark (400), Italy (3,000), Lithuania, Netherlands (1,100) New Zealand, Poland, Romania. France and Germany have said they would only contribute in the context of a UN resolution. Turkey occupies part of northern Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It's their mess, let them clean it up
    They ignored the UN and went ahead with this war! now they have the nerve to turn around and ask for help
    they have walked into a long, drawn out quagmire, (like nobody could see that one coming)
    I will be seriously annoyed if irish troops are sent out there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

It is there mess but seeing as they can't, countless innocent Iraqis are dying. US are i'd imagine are greatly hated by a lot of the people and more US troops would destablise the region further. Foreign troops would not be welcomed as such but better chance for a long term peace if they came imo.

So firstly you didn't want the war to happen as it would kill loads of civilians and now that they ask for help to stop more innocents dying you say no? (and yes i know they have ulterior motvies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

If Irish troops are to work under the auspices of a UN mandate, the UN, not the US/UK alliance should be the supreme authority for 'all' operations conducted.

Simply.

Originally posted by Typedef
    If Irish troops are to work under the auspices of a UN mandate, the UN, not the US/UK alliance should be the supreme authority for 'all' operations conducted.
    That isn't how things work. There has to be some sort of chain of commend between the Secretary General and any potential Irish unit or are you suggesting Paddy has a direct line to Koffi?

I'm suggesting that if Irish troops go to Iraq, that the administration of post-War Iraq, is conducted by the UN, not the US, since elsewise, Ireland would be participating in an occupation as opposed to a peacekeeping/reconstruction mission.

Ireland's army exists for defence and peacekeeping, not occupation and exponenciation of Imperialism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Cause and consequence. They caused the mess, they can deal with the consequences. Unless, as sceptre was saying, they step aside from the command.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Whos to say they aren't already there, the world has many betrayers. The so-called Royal Irish-men, the London supporters are already helping in the occupation , murder and invasion of other nations.

some in Belgium and Finland said It's time firstly to kick England out of Europe for its imperialist actions in the last few months, others say its time to kick the Royal out of the word Irish-men

Snipp-moved by tetsuo:
    and I'll point out another sound Prodestant fellow, McKRACKEN. A very decent man who helped the Irish people fight with honour against a Dublin Prodestant stronghold that inflicted injustice and tyranny on many people.
    So I don't want to send people off on some harangue, and start ranting no surrender to the IRA around the place.
    Here's how it works, it matters not what religion these people were, Prodestant, Arabic, Hindu, Jewish, Catholic, Buddist..what does matter is that for a time Dublin had a well know history off helping a number of despots dictate its own people.

These many events had shown , a capital city that was weak in qualities such as nationalism, honour and pride. Unlike other nations invasions and the proud defence Moscowvites or Berliners the events in Dublin-land showed a quick development of incidents of turn-coating and double-crossing.

Who should a citizen side with, I think they should side with the citizenship of their own country wherever that may be, and the home where they live?
    When a person ges off to fight for another foreign nation, against the wishes of the motherland it is called treachory, and people are thrown in Jail for it and even recently a man in the USA was executed for it.

old snipp moved

Well it may well be their mess but it’s a great opportunity for Ireland. Peacekeeping and Peace-enforcement are what Ireland does best and the US are looking for Ireland and the Scandinavians particularly. As we know The US army isn’t so good at it.

Military missions are best served under a proper military command and that’s why there should be a proper military structure. The UN pissed around for ages in the Balkans and it took NATO to intervene and sort things out. If the UN were controlling Iraq they would be making a pigs dinner of it (like Somalia) and people would be calling for US involvement. The UN has good intentions but is very weak.

Were on the U.S and U.K side and to say otherwise is folly. Economically the US dominates this country.

It’s in Irish economic interests to get involved. We let the Russians use Shannon during the Cuban crisis so why was there a problem with US aircraft using the airport? It’s not like the west is rich. The scummy hippy protestors should have all been arrested. It did no favours with the US.

Irish peacekeepers in Iraq urged

Patsy McGarry
    The Irish Times
    22-August-2003

The senior Democratic congressman on the House Armed Services Committee in the US Congress has said Ireland should be asked to provide peace-keeping troops in Iraq.

In an interview with the Kansas City Star newspaper, Mr Ike Skelton said that “it would be wise to have professional peacekeepers there, such as the Irish, such as the Scandinavians. They’re good at it. That’s what they do. They ought to be asked.”

He was speaking before the explosion at the UN compound in Baghdad on Tuesday. He said US troops in Iraq “are worn out. They fought the war. And in addition, they’re not trained as peace-keepers.”

Mr Skelton led a cross-party delegation from the House Armed Services Committee to Ireland in 1993 to study Irish Army peacekeeping methods. He did so at the suggestion of Mr John O’ Connor, an Irishman who then worked with British Aerospace in the US and who had come to know through Washington diplomatic circles.

On his Irish visit Mr Skelton and his party met Government officials and his party met Government officials and were briefed on Irish peacekeeping methods and experience. They also visited the Defence Forces at the Curragh and met the then Army Chief of Staff, Lieut Gen Noel Bergin.

In a subsequent report to Congress Mr Skelton said he was greatly impressed by the Irish Defence Forces peacekeeping record. His comments were later quoted “verbatim” by President Clinton on his Irish visits, Mr O’Connor recalled yesterday.

The house Armed Services Committee must approve all military spending proposed by Washington before it can be passed by Congress. Mr Skelton has been a member of the committee since 1980. A strong supporter of the US military, he told the Kansas City Star that “there was either a serious miscalculation or a serious lack of strong intelligence about the attitude of the Iraqi people in the aftermath [of the war]… the average Iraqi did not welcome us with open arms. I think most Iraqis are very glad Saddam Hussein is gone. I think a number of Iraqis have the attitude:”You got rid of him, go home to America’.”

He continued: “I don’t think we anticipated major problems. Not just [guerrilla warfare]. We didn’t anticipate the difficulty of putting Humpty Dumpty back together.” As to who was to blame for the state of the occupation, he said “there used to be a sign on President Truman’s desk that said “The buck stops here”. He assumed responsibility for whatever occurred. We should have got more international participation early on. We should seek it even more so now.”

For America the stakes were “very, very high”, he said.

“We’re there. We have no choice but to win, and by win, I mean to have a stable, responsible Iraq with some kind of representative government. If we fail at this, if America fails at this, there could be years of serious consequences, not the least of which would be a loss of world-wide credibility and leadership, in addition to making Americans wherever they are in this world more prone to danger. The stakes are very, very high.

As to how long US forces would be in Iraq, he said “[General] Tommy Franks says two to four years. I think that’s extremely optimistic. We’ve been in Korea 50 years. Japan, 58. Germany, 58. Now, the nature of those occupations changed in the latter two instances. The nature of South Korea has not. Ask me that in 50 years.”

Military missions are best served under a proper military command and that’s why there should be a proper military structure. The UN pissed around for ages in the Balkans and it took NATO to intervene and sort things out. If the UN were controlling Iraq they would be making a pigs dinner of it (like Somalia) and people would be calling for US involvement. The UN has good intentions but is very weak.

Let me get this straight.

You want this country to give two fingers to the UN, and go and put Ireland's soldiers lives on the line, to police the mess of post-Imperial war Iraq?

Don't hold your breath.
    It’s in Irish economic interests to get involved.

Hello. Irish people fought in two World Wars, to stamp out despotism, not to support it.
    It's probably in Irish economic interests to sell arms to Israel and Palestine, but, that doesn't mean Ireland should, nor will, do that.

You want to fight for blood money, feel free, but, don't drag the whole nation into it, as a country, Ireland simply isn't that hard up for cash right now, so take your warmongering and Impreialism to someone who cares.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst it isa a mess in Iraq at the moment, it is the civilian population that is suffering.

So, I'd support a UN mandated mission to peacekeep in support of local Iraqi forces. But I'd hesitate to put Irish troops under the auspices of US/UK.

Final aside point, I feel there is nothing at all wrong with Irish citizens who wish to serve in the UK armed forces, such as the Irish Guards. It's their choice and not unpatrotic at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Do people recall the words of Hans Blix some weeks back, the man who called the Bush regime B*stards!

Hey, I think youo may have got your facts wrong on the US forces, the Korean war was a blood-bath, a war the US did not win, hundreds of thousands of spinals, 158,000 out of action for life, and almost a million serious injuries, cripples and death.
    Thanks to that crazy Kim's Nukes another crazy Bush invasion will be alot worse.

Whats more It wasn't just US forces that looked after Korea, Germany, Japan.
    Japan it was Canadian, American and Aussie forces.
    Germany it was british, unitedstates Russian and France

and don't get it wrong. The locals often liked the foreigners but sometimes hated the Yanks.
    Navy men and Marines caused mayhem in the streets of Yokohama and Okinawa, assaults, theft, rape were all common. America was immune from prosecution. It wasn't until 1995 when 2 American soldiers kidnapped, attacked, raped and tried to kill a baby 13 year old schoolgirl that these barbarians were finally put on trial for their crimes. I hear South Korea isn't too happy either.

If little Junior Bush is ever going to be a good president, he should stop being so militant and start listening to his people and take consideration of other nations

Final aside point, it is very wrong when so called Irish citizens, betray their nationality and serve in English armed forces, such as the Royal Irish Guards.
    What happens when Americans decieve their nation for Russian, when a british spy sells secrets to China, when Indian citizens serve Pakistan forces?
    It is an act of a turncoat, and it is called treason, and even recently a man in the USA was executed for it, but with Dublin being historically a Prodestant strong hold, we should expect a couple of double-crossers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well it may well be their mess but it’s a great opportunity for Ireland.
    So are selling heroin and the slave trade. Oddly enough, I don't see us jumping at those opportunities...

If the UN were controlling Iraq they would be making a pigs dinner of it (like Somalia)
    Actually there were two UN missions in Somalia, it was the American parts that went to pot.
    The scummy hippy protestors should have all been arrested.
    On what charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

As has been mooted by a number here, the US and UK waged the war against the wishes of the majority of international community. When it France threatened to use it’s veto on the Security Council, the US/UK argued that a 'Moral majority' would have been justification enough. When it became apparent that even that was not going to happen, the US/UK walked away. So morally speaking, it’s their mess.

Of course there may be a number of diplomatic and economic opportunities from throwing our lot in with the US/UK - but in doing so we would not only incur the enmity of the Arab-Muslim world, but even many of our European allies. And that’s before we even consider that the security situation out there is going from bad to worse.

So even from a cold blooded perspective, it’s probably not a good idea for Ireland to do so. The negative fallout of such an involvement would most likely outweigh the opportunities that it would afford us.
    Originally posted by TetsuoHashimoto
    Final aside point, it is very wrong when so called Irish citizens, betray their nationality and serve in English armed forces, such as the Royal Irish Guards.
    What happens when Americans decieve their nation for Russian, when a british spy sells secrets to China, when Indian citizens serve Pakistan forces?
    Spies actively, and covertly, act against the interests of their fatherland in favour of another. Mercenaries and individuals who serve in the armed forces of another nation are generally not acting against their fatherland. One does not necessarily betray one’s fatherland by fighting for another.
    It is an act of a turncoat, and it is called treason, and even recently a man in the USA was executed for it, but with Dublin being historically a Prodestant strong hold, we should expect a couple of double-crossers
    That has to be the most inaccurate offensive sectarian horseshit I’ve heard in ages.

• Advertisement

With Dublin being historically a Prodestant strong hold, we should expect a couple of double-crossers

Have you lost the plot?

Do you have the 'actual' demographics of Protestantism in Dublin?

Thought not.

Now to name a few Irish nationalists who were Protestant in no particular order.

Douglas Hyde - 1st President of Ireland son of a Church of Ireland Rector - FYI.
    Charles Stuart Parnell - Leader of the Home Rule party.
    Sir Isaac Butt - Founder of the Irish Parlimentary party.
    James Connolly - Involved in Irish Labour movement and later the Easter rising.
    Yeats : Poet, part of Irish literary heritage and yes, protestant.
    Michael Cusack - Founder of the GAA.

I think James Larkin was one of those black proddie seditious turncoats too.

This is a Republic, not a bloody mono-theistic Papal Religious dictatorship.

Run along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

The Russians are already signalling support for UN occupation even under American control. (30 billion dollars still owed by Iraq) Unless Pakistan, Iran and Syria are involved bigtime and the Americans pull out we're in for another Lebanese situation with amongst other nations, Irish troops being truck bombed by both sides. I can see Harney and co pushing this one already. Watch what we new of Iraq disintegrate into 3 countries in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Well it may well be their mess but it’s a great opportunity for Ireland. Peacekeeping and Peace-enforcement are what Ireland does best and the US are looking for Ireland and the Scandinavians particularly. As we know The US army isn’t so good at it.
    Peace keeping under occupation is not what we do. It would be like helping keep the peace on the west bank whilst under the control if the Isrealis.
    Cowen + co will window dress this willy nilly ie: The lips will bulge further and he will spout the uasual puke he did on the shannon stopovers and UN resolutions.. but this time around especially with berties ratings it could be very high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have no problems with Irish Troops serving under UN as long as the US does not have over all control. The control has to be under the UN flag.

In fact it would be more prudent to get the Americans and British to withdraw from Iraq totally as they are perceived as the aggressors and occupiers.

This won’t happen as Washington want to get paid for the ordinance that they dropped on Iraq, by the Iraqis.

Gandalf.

Most people who join the Royal Irish Regiment and the Irish Guards do so to fight, not to serve a country.
    Final aside point, it is very wrong when so called Irish citizens, betray their nationality and serve in English armed forces, such as the Royal Irish Guards. What happens when Americans decieve their nation for Russian, when a british spy sells secrets to China, when Indian citizens serve Pakistan forces?
    So my friend (Irish father, Greek mother, born in San Francisco, grew up in belgium), who I mentioned earlier would be what? Who should he side with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 oscar76

fifty years ago, america saved our ass with the marshall plan, (and a hell of a lot of dead american soldiers).
    Maybe it is time we got them out of a hole, but not under american control.
    Bring in the blue helmets, and then we can go in and try to sort that mess out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

fifty years ago, america saved our ass with the marshall plan, (and a hell of a lot of dead american soldiers).

1) America did not join either world war for ideological reasons, it did so for economic reasons. Millions of Russians died fighting the Nazis and did more than anyone else to defeat them. Does that mean we should support Russian militarism?

2) The marshall plan was paid for by the America tax payer, not the government while money from wealty Europeans was sent to New York banks instead of being invested back into Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by oscar76
    America saved Ireland with the Marshall plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 oscar76

we are european, even though our leaders at the time could barely look over their noses. European stability is in our interest andto our benefit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I just hope that the Irish government and people do not now sell their souls and the young lives of our military to and for Mammon?..

P.

Advertisement