Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish troops to Iraq?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Originally posted by Qadhafi
    I was delighted when I heard the Taliban was gone, it was one of the reasons why Afghanistan was producing all those drugs for the European market. May be they will grow ordinary crops now. I know that pre- US involvement they wouldn’t have thought about it.
    Record Afghan poppy crop forecast
    Brigadier Ashfaq-ur-Rasheed Khan, of Pakistan's Anti-Narcotics Force, expressed concern at "the gravity of the situation".

He said the growth of opium poppy cultivation in Afghanistan this year was likely to have serious implications for drug enforcement efforts in Pakistan.

The brigadier said the projected figure for the current crop was in excess of 4,000 tonnes.

Under the Taleban, the crop had sunk to an all-time low of less than 200 tonnes in 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I really don’t have the time to go through your post and re point out everything in my argument, with you and your lame one line questions, your entire argument is based on everything the US did wrong, you have no real solutions. You don’t live in the real world and you have spent so much time on this board that you have lowered yourself to condescending sarcasm. I don’t know how you argue your position because everything you believe in is thanks to either the UK/US/NATO/Allied Forces.
    You don’t have time to go through my post and point out everything in your argument, but you’ve time to write up a 1,300 word reply? :rolleyes:

The problem that I have pointed out with your position is that it is based simply on your opinion and has no real facts or logic to back it up. Even where you do cite sources or information, others have repeatedly corrected you on accuracy. So now your reaction to challenge seems to be to hurl abuse, rather than defend your arguments in debate - and, by the way, repeating yourself is not a defence. Your argument was no more believable the sixth time you came out with it, than it was the first.

My ‘one line questions’ are simply challenges for you to back up your opinion with facts that will hold up to scrutiny. If you can’t do that then you can’t blame me or anyone else for not taking your opinion too seriously.

And to date you’ve failed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I do feel terrible about that but I think the invasion was progress in some ways.

Progress in what way exactly? Afganistan is still the same just minus the talaban. Drugs sales are up, killings still go on, musicians are still killed for singing, women are still beaten and treated like property?

The NA that the US used to take over are as just as bad as the talaban.

Maybe your one of those people, and can point out endless points about what went wrong but cant look at the bigger picture. Who else is there to fix these things?

Certainly not the US or the UK. By the way attack the argument, not the writer.
    ]The 9/11 investigation isn’t complete so depending on the results prosecutions against the guilty persons/states will have to wait.

o_O So why did they invade Afganistan then if the investigation is still ongoing? I would say why did they invade Iraq but Bush has recently said Saddam has nothing to do with 9/11.

Why are they even now still locking people up with no rights, and detaining men, women and children in what amounts to a concentration camp (or will be as soon as the execution chamber is built).
    However how many people were championing the Taliban or Saddam at the UN? Amnesty International ?

1. AI are not part of the UN, at least last time I checked.

2. Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11. In fact news this morning suggested that Saddam probably never had WMD ever, only said before to stop other countries invading.

3. The taliban were not responsible for 9/11 either. Check your history book. What did do was ask for evidence before handing over OBL, and then said they would hand to a neutral country not the US, because they have about as much faith in the US system as the US has in thiers.

Also if you bother to check up, you will see the US was actually entertaining the taliban in the hopes of getting an oil pipeline through the country.

It’s a shame that there wasn’t a broad coalition in support like the 1st gulf war but then the rest of the countries had a strategic interest to act so quickly.

1st Gulf War - Saddam attacked a county.
    2nd Gulf War - US attacked a country.

There was more support because no one likes an aggressor.
    but its a foolish argument to say that the USA didn’t help rebuild Europe,

Of course they help rebuild Europe, all those US companies getting contracts giving money back to the US? It's the standard operating procedure. Even now you can see this happening in Iraq where all the US companies were handed the contracts to rebuild Iraq (of course being paid by Iraq, not free).
    For a small example: the US paid the huge number of civil servants their over due wages and reinforced the structure of government,

Are you talking about Iraq? You do know a majority of the people being paid are people who were loyal supporters of Saddam. Also not everyone is getting paid, otherwise there would not of been riots recently over it.
    Look at Afghanistan, before the US where there women couldn’t walk around without the veil over their heads,

Apart from the capital city which is US owned, the rest of Afganistan is still exactly the same. Go check up on news reports. You will see all the crap that went on when the taliban were in power still happens.

So no, nothing has really changed there. Just some feel good news bites after the war to make people feel warm inside, then thrown under the carpet.
    The Russians where there fighting the Taliban, where you supporting them?

And the US were supporting the Taliban at that time or did you miss that bit? Now they support the NA, who prior to the war were in fact enemies. Go read up on thier history, you should see what "Good guys" got put back into power.
    Who would have helped liberate the afghan people..

They (US) didn't go in to liberate them. They went in to smack them because they wouldn't hand over one person as a lame excuse to invade.

Did they need liberation? Granted thier way of life is morally wrong to me, however if you again check your history books you will see that Afganistan actually welcomed and supported the Taliban as they helped clean up the country (eg. Drugs trade).
    they are so weak with their UN resolutions, how many it passed again Israel? (110 the last time I counted).

Go see how many of the countries were for action, and how many of them were veto'ed by the US. Then tell us is it the UN that is weak because of itself, or because the US wants it to be?
    May be they will grow ordinary crops now.

As pointed out, (and I am not sure what planet you are living on *** Note: t.b.h is censored? o_O) but the drugs trade out of Afganistan was practically quashed under the Taliban. After they left poppy production have been at an all time high (no pun intended). After all why grow a crappy crop to feed yourself, when you can grow poppies and get yourself a nice SUV instead?
    Thanks to us, Ireland on its own has become an expensive country, were moving up the value chain,

US companies are here because of the tax breaks they are given. Nothing more. Most (heck all) major corporations have no real loyalities to countries if it costs them money. If it wasn't the case then a large number of US jobs wouldn't be moving to India.

What happens when it is no longer viable in Ireland (which is already happening). We love Ireland? Lets stay? Hell no, they are going to pull out and it cause more damage being an expensive country to live in then if our cost of living was lower.
    but it was like a huge vote of confidence for the country and the IT sector.

Sorry.. tax breaks or kick backs. Irish IT infrastructure is moronically backwards and expensive compared to numerous other countries.
    Ignore all the points you like, I don’t care,

No need to ignore, however please if you think I am wrong please back up your points with facts, because your version of the world seems a long stretch from actual reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This article makes me want to send the entire Irish army (and more) to Iraq (but have the USA pay for it and not allow them reduce their troop numbers) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118177

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

Afghan education

in general

I agree with everything you say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement