Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nero and DVD Recorder GSA-4040B

• 30-08-2003 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hope this forum is OK for my query. Mod: If not, please move it.

I recently got a LG GSA-4040B dvd writer. Great spec, writes and reads all dvd formats. It came with B's Recorder Gold5, which is very limited in the functions it ptovides. I had been using Nero, but it does not support this drive. When I try to get it to recognise the drive, Nero actually shows the drive model in the box as Drive Not Recognised. I can only get Nero to see an Image Creation device. Is there a way around this? I have Nero 5.5.9.14 and 5.5.9.16. Version 6 Demo seems to see the drive, but my serial No. does not work. I suppose it's pay up time again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

that sounds about right unless they have a patch or the version u have ull have to upgrade . by the sounds of things ull be forced into the upgrade . if only there was a way to extend the demo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

If you have a legal copy of Nero 5.5.<something>, then you should try and get the latest demo of 5.5 from the ahead web site.

Ahead's demos also act as upgrades for existing packages of the same major version (in this case, 5); the later versions of Nero 5.5 may support your burner. You'll have to reinstall Nero 5.5 first though.

HTH,
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

They seem to be up to 5.5.10.50 now; your drive is very new but I think policy is generally to add drive support to old releases for free (certainly this is something that Roxio do). You could give that version a go.

Please do let us know how your drive does with media compatibility - I have a NEC 1300A which is theoretically DVD-R compatible but won't go near any cheap DVD-R media (fine with DVD+R).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Pretty sure Nero 6 has dded lots of new drives.
    I got the NEC 1100a and Nero 5 was on this but I just upgraded to 6 and it's even better.

My advice, Obtain a copy of Nero 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I got the update to 5.5.10.50, and that did the trick. It was in "Other Versions", which makes sense now that Nero 6 is released.

Now to try cutting a DVD-Video disk. What file format does the DVD-Video need? MPEG2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

DVD is MPEG2, but you have to first 'author' it to DVD format. There are a number of programs that can do this, including TMPGEnc DVD Author, ULead DVD Movie Factory, or Roxio's DVD Builder. I belive Nero 6 also has an authoring module, but don't think Nero 5.5 does.

If you already have the DVD VOB and IFO files correctly authored, you can just burn these straight with Nero 5.5 - select the DVD Video option and dump all the VOB and IFOs in the VIDEO_TS directory.

www.afterdawn.com is a good source for information, as is www.doom9.org - particularly for software. There are freeware DVD authoring options, but I find them very complicated myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by blorg
    They seem to be up to 5.5.10.50 now; your drive is very new but I think policy is generally to add drive support to old releases for free (certainly this is something that Roxio do). You could give that version a go.

Please do let us know how your drive does with media compatibility - I have a NEC 1300A which is theoretically DVD-R compatible but won't go near any cheap DVD-R media (fine with DVD+R).

Yep that version of nero is the one he will need at least for DVD burning.
    I have the NEC1300A, used 'cheap' white label Ritek G04(Clonedisc brand), write perfect as I have just written about 40 of them so far at 4x.

The DVD-R blanks with the Princo dye are the ones to avoid on this drive unless you do a firmware upgrade.
    Verbatim DVD-R are also a good write (about 30 written)but a tad expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Originally posted by captainpat
    I got the update to 5.5.10.50, and that did the trick. It was in "Other Versions", which makes sense now that Nero 6 is released.

Now to try cutting a DVD-Video disk. What file format does the DVD-Video need? MPEG2?

There's literally 100's of ways of copying/backup dvd movies.
    Da fastest way is rip with dvd decrypter, give it da once over wit dvd2one and burn with (anything really) recordnow max.
    Takes less than an hour.
    Da slowest but wit best quality is rip again wit dvd decrep and 3 or 4 pass vbr encodin with cce and burn agin.
    Takes up 16 hrs dependin on no of gigahertz (note this is all that counts - loads a ram wont speed up da process at all and a celeron performs about as well as a p4 as an athlon too so u dont need a real expensive machine) and no of passes on cce.
    Go to
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com
    for definitive help.

But theres loads of plusses an minuses wit other ways too so try em all

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I checked out your link, and started following others, (as you do).
    Mountains of information, not all chargeable!

You sound as if you are hot on this area, so I'll watch out for your posts. Thanks again.

Advertisement