Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

insurance idiocy

• 30-08-2003 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

just a quick 1, i heard the best excuse ever for a house and motor insurance price hike given to my mother a couple of months back: sept 11. Now thats inventive on the part of injsurance company, thers a terrorist attack thousands of miles away so we have to put ur house and motor insurance premium up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Lack of competition is the problem in the Irish insurance market.

The english market is the antithesis of this sentiment, that's how the likes of Carole Nash are so comparitively cheap, not withstanding the economies of scale one comes up with in such a vast market ie UK + Ireland instead of 'just' Ireland.

</rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fry

Try Hibernian, I think they are very good. I went 4 the hibernian Ignition course a few weeks ago and got 30pc off my moror insurance. First time getting insurance in my own name, 26yr old male - 644 euros....thats not bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Hey 644 sounds really good - how long were you a named driver - what size of car were you trying to insure

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well we've had terrorism here and in the UK for ages - and insurance has never covered it. Governments have paid out.

So
    a) it was never covered
    b) it never cost them anything

so how can they justify the increase

unless it is another way for us to subsidsed the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I received my renewal from Royal and Sun Alliance recently and they were looking for €1300. A reduction of €50 on last year. I have been with them for 10 years with no claims, drive a 1.8 vectra and am 30 yo.

Hibernian quoted me €840.00 and when I went back to R&SA with the lower quote they just said that they are our rates, take it or leave it.

Needless to say I am now with Hibernian.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Stekelly
    just a quick 1, i heard the best excuse ever for a house and motor insurance price hike given to my mother a couple of months back: sept 11. Now thats inventive on the part of injsurance company, thers a terrorist attack thousands of miles away so we have to put ur house and motor insurance premium up.

It's a fact that companies operating around ground zero that weren't destroyed have had no increase in their insurance. So companies 100 metres from Ground zero have no insurance increase yet insurance companies 3000 miles away will have us believe they need to hike our insurance because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by bucks73
    I received my renewal from Royal and Sun Alliance recently and they were looking for €1300. A reduction of €50 on last year. I have been with them for 10 years with no claims, drive a 1.8 vectra and am 30 yo.

Hibernian quoted me €840.00 and when I went back to R&SA with the lower quote they just said that they are our rates, take it or leave it.

Needless to say I am now with Hibernian.

That's just shocking bucks73 :mad:

Dunno what age the car is but even brand new you should be quoted something like €600 - €700 fully comp. My experience forces me to get 20 - 30 quotes at insurance renewal every year, mostly from direct quotes but also brokers. Pain in the neck, but it will save you €€€€€€€

Advertisement