Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs Awareness forum

Options
  • 30-08-2003 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I think a drug form should be setup, As a a gross amount of users of boards.ie are of the age where they want to experiment with substances.And their is a proven interest in this subject from boards.ie usersHere

I could provide a great service to the community, considering drug awareness is usually brought forward to the public, through the media, which employs scare tactics and myth as a way of selling papers.
    This form would be unbiased and more educational on the subject,It would certainly not promote drug use(Through Moderation) users of the forum could gather information, ask queries or advice on un resolved issues they have with drugs.
    A sticky would also provide useful, educational and factual links.
    Drugs awareness is a good thing.
    Its better if someone knows what their doing instead of blindly consuming X Y Z at a party.

Just consider it and see if this thread gathers any interest.
    Anyone opposed to the idea, id like to hear your argument
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

I think that's a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Awareness of where to get drugs is it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

"Boards.ie made my little boy a drug fiend"

"Irish Website Encourages Youth Drug Abuse Shocker"

"Drug Pedelling Internet Filth"

Thats pretty much what I can see such a board resulting in unless you get something like a Gardai Liason Officer or a Health Board Representative involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I'm opposed, I don't have an argument, I just think it could cause problems for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The negative publicity from this would be crippling.

An extremely bad idea !!!

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I also doubt there's more than a handful of people using boards that are truely informed on the effects of various drugs. "I tried this and it did that to me" is not informed. I'm talking about not just the consciousness altering affects of various pychotropic substances but also the physiological affects both long-term and short-term off such substances, and the affects of other drugs such as pain-killers.

I'm not saying Drugs Are Bad M'kay, I just think that such a board is a really bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Most people havent a clue about drugs yet run off at the mouth about them just because they got a little stoned one weekend when they where 12 (yes you shinji) . Forum would be full of comments like I take 3 E every weekend and it doesn't do me any harm OR I smoke a joint every other leap year, and no health effects here

People know that smoking, injecting or swallowign drugs is harm full, you won't find many a drug user claiming other wise, but most think it there right to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭jammy_dodger

It seems you all think it would cause bad publicity (i didn´t think boards.ie was in the business of climbing the corprate tower) Finally a topic that is too Taboo for boards.
    oh well just a sugestion
    unless you get something like a Gardai Liason Officer or a Health Board Representative involved.

Tis a great idea, but they´ll probably feed you the same bull, they hand out in leaflets at the doc´s office (ok not bull, but acutely one sided)

p.s. I don´t claim to know anything about drugs, or take any, just thought from reading the thread linked above that there was more too this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

dendenz for mod!

[back on topic]

bad idea, you'd need to have a moderator doing nothing but sitting there waiting to delete the rubbish people are going to post. As it stands there's usually 1/2 very heated discussions of the topic per year, isn't that enough :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Here we go again :/
    Originally posted by jammy_dodger
    Finally a topic that is too Taboo for boards.
    oh well just a sugestion

Not finally, this is about the 3rd or 4th time this subject has come up. Use the search function and read the same thread and reasons repeated ad infinitum.

Here, ill make it easy for you.

here

and here

Theres a few more, but all the main reasons are covered in there.

Personally i think its a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by jammy_dodger
    As a a gross amount of users of boards.ie are of the age where they want to experiment with substances
    To quote Ben Elton, for the past ten years I've been experimenting with lager.

Bad idea imho. Too many legal hurdles and hoops to potentially dodge as well. There are a few sites out there (like that askfrank one they keep advertising in the UK) for info. Actually discussing the taking of illegal substances AND setting up a forum for it is a legal minefield. Like discussing warez, there's both the idea that we don't want/need it here and the legal dimension to worry about. The latter would always be a problem, even if we wanted it. That's before the negative publicity and articles in the Times kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

If this board goes ahead can i get dealers numbers off the forum? we could make it a sticky.

Advertisement