Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Panel Connector problem

• 30-08-2003 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

The front panel with the power button has 15 pins but on the mobo it only has 9 pins. Is there a cable that will connect the two together or will i have to buy a new front panel for the power button that has 9 pins.

Is it possible to even buy a connector/cable for this separately?

Thanks logistic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

joo definitely need a drink :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

do you mean the little connectors that say "speaker" "reset" "Power Led" etc..?
    If so, I had this problem before, if you look closely at the connectors you can see that you can remove the wires by slightly bending back the little tabs on the connector. if your (example) reset connector is 3 pins wide (2 actualy wires/pins in it) remove one of the wires and move it into the hole next to the other wire in the connector. My case has a 3 pin connect for a 2 pin area, so i had to move the wire closer to the other pin so i could fit it onto the pins without it getting in the way of the others.
    May sound a bit confusing, i'll try to find a diagram if i can :)

If you mean something else please say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

I understand what u mean BoB_BoT. The only thing is, on the mobo there are 9 pins 1 of which is not in use. I know what each pin represents on the mobo, hdled, pwrbtn, reset etc...
    But on the front panel behind the power button there are 15 pins 1 of which is not in use. The thing is i dont know what each pin represents as theres no markings beside the pins on the circuit board that holds them.

Is there a cable that you can interlink or is it a diy job?

I should also mention that its a dell dimension 4500 case.

Thanks logistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

why did u take them out in the first place ?

Normal cases do not come like that, sounds like another dell feature to keep you out of the case :)

Gonna have to ring dell i'd say.

I took it out in the 1st place because my new mobo has different connector than the one on the front panel. The mobo has 9 but the front panel has 15pins.

If i could just find out what pins on the front panel represent what fuction i'll be sorted.

Heres a pic of the front panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭joto

I had similar prob. (not dell case).Trial & error is no harm.
    Start with power switch on its own & try to switch on. computer will work without the rest (there only lights & speaker)
    Sounds like you have one connector block though? Bit more awkward if so.

I thought about doing it but didnt know if it would harm any of the components will it??

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭joto

naagh. They're only display lights.
    I did it with mine & I'd say I had each one on every pin trying to find the right one. The only one you actually really need is power switch. Do that first on in's own. Computer will start fine. After that speaker(to hear beeps!) reset switch, pwr led & hdd led.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

u could use the old connector to compare them ?

Cases usually come with each led seperated and it says on the end of it what it does.

The conector (pic) that i have are only for the dell front controler and mobo, so i have to pick up some connectors tomorrow.

Does it matter which way the connectors go on + or -.

Cheers for the help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Originally posted by logistic
    The conector (pic) that i have are only for the dell front controler and mobo, so i have to pick up some connectors tomorrow.

Does it matter which way the connectors go on + or -.

Cheers for the help :)

as reguards to the + or - , it does matter, but as mentioned before, trial and error, took my case apart last week, put the power cable in backwards, still havn't gotten around to putting it back, have no power indicator at the moment, that's all that happens :P

Advertisement