Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7,000 Year Sentence

Options
  • 31-08-2003 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I've always loved Belgarath, the forever man from the Belgariad by David Eddings, and daydreamed about what life must be like for a 7,000 year old man.

And to be honest, i'd love to live for that long, to watch humanity rise, and inevitably fall, to watch history, and even play a hand in it every now and again, and to know my life has made a differance.

Would anyone love to live that kinda life, or would the idea of watching friends and family fall in the blink of an eye, and the idiocy of humanity, and it's affects be to much?

What would you do for 7,000 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Travel the world
    Learn all languages
    Write
    Form a cult, take over the world!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Then you could go on the lecture circuit & have your own TV show on History channel.. "well actually, what really happened was...."

After about 1,000 years you'd have lots of practice on lots of things, and could clean up in Vegas or at the bookies..

So money would not be a problem, also being sent to prison for a year or two would not be a big worry ;) - nor would marrying rich old people ...

The best way to keep sane would be to keep learning, and it would not be a waste of time because you most likely (eventually) to be in a situation where you would use most of what you learnt. (hint: learn about hypnotism / psycology )

As for taking over the world - just be an advisor / pulling the strings rather than being in the limelight....

And you could tell the same stories and jokes over and over again to new audiences ....

But wouldn't it be a real bummer to start loosing your memory when you are 278 ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

RAR!! So much evil in your hearts.

Would none of ye do good with that lifespan damn ye?!?! :p

Ah well, never mind. Maybe it's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

Assuming I was also immortal and completely unkillable, I'd spend the first 3,000 years in a drug-induced haze. I'd then spend the next 4,000 trying to get off coke.

BTW, I love the belgariad, kind of a shameall the rest of his books are exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    RAR!! So much evil in your hearts.
    Would none of ye do good with that lifespan damn ye?!?! :p

um.... no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Establish myself as the most wise and knowledgable individual on the planet, giving my millenia of experience and wisdom to the various nations, so they would stop fighting eachother and get to work on that low-orbit elevator this planet so sorely needs.

Low orbit elevator? WTF?!?!

And also, finally someone who doesn't want to take over the world. What a novelty. Thank you kind sir for restoring my faith in mankind. And other various generic thanks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No, no, you have it all wrong. With every nation depending on me for advice, I'd be indispensable to all of them. That would demand rather a high salary...:ninja:

God damn it. I give up.

/me goes off and blows his brains all over the bathroom wall.

/me wakes up some time later. wondering what the **** happened, and why I feel so lightheaded.

/me is amazed to discover I am in fact, one of the undead, and now

/me is off to use these particular powers for good. And maybe a small bit of bad.

We'll see.ww)

• Advertisement
Advertisement