Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Sonia O'Sullivan Call it a Day?

• 31-08-2003 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Dispite a great qualifying performance her lack of fitness was shown dramatically in the final yesterday... she trailed in well
    off the pace in last place.

Given all she has acheived in a long career should she now admit she is unlikely to be able to compete at the highest level on the track and retire?

It would be shame if she kept going and kept failing.

Mike.

ps I think she would make a great coach.

Comments

I agree.

To be honest despite the good qualifying performance, I'd not expected her to do well when it actually mattered, based on recent form, her ability is just fairly washed out at this stage.

The media hype up to yesterday was embarrassing .

mm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

This time last year she was winning two medals at a major championship. So she had a bad championship, but she's not past it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fergalfit

Sonia still made it to the final of the world championships and ok had a bad race on the day. However it is far from justified to say she is passed it! She is our top distance runner still putting in world class performances. I for one hopes she sticks with it for another few years at least. Its not like she can be easily replaced! It could be a long time before we have an athlete of Sonia's calaber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭MartinNutty

Sonia had a terrible race, anybody else ever have a terrible performance? Did you immediately quit? Not much chance of winning if you quit at the first sign of adversity.

We've seen Sonia react masterfully to dissapointment before. By today's standards shes got a couple of good years yet. If she decideds to retire now, nobody will complain, however I believe she's earned our support if she continues and our gratitude for making us proud.

Martin

Advertisement