Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance

Options
  • 31-08-2003 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Three years ago I had an accident for which I was 100% to blame (crashed into the back of another car - not paying attention).
    I was convicted of careless/dangerous driving and my licence was endorsed.
    The other person claimed and my insurance finally paid out to them this year (I don't know exacly how much, but I reckon it was >100K).
    Prior to the accident I had 4 yrs no claims bonus, which of course I immediatly lost.
    I have since built up two years no claims bonus again...
    My next insurance quote after the accident jumped from £600 for full comp to €2200 third party - fair enough.
    In 2002 it was €2000 and this year it was €1900.
    I looked for other quotes but all of them asked me was I ever convicted of a road traffic offence and when I tell them they usually won't quote me.
    My endorsement ends in December, but it looks as though I'll have to stay with my present company.

I suppose my question is if I "forgot" to tell an insurance company that I had a conviction years ago, would they be likely to discover this in the event of accident and therefore would it invalidate my insurance?
    Do I have to pay for my mistake for the rest of my life?
    I had hoped once the endorsement was lifted and I had a full no claims bonus again then I would be the same as everyone else, but that dosen't seem to be the case?

Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Usually, the question they ask (or at least, the question I've been asked), is have you had any convictions in the last 5 years. They may be asking me that because I've only had my full licence for 4 years, but I'm fairly sure that my Dad gets asked the same question. So basically, you will have to pay for your conviction until 5 years from the date of the conviction have passed, at which time, you hopefully will have 5 years no claims bonus, and will be able to quite honestly reply "no" when asked about convictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The answer to the first question is yes your insurance would be
    invaliadated and you would have a very hard time being able to afford insurance cover again. After 5 years your sin falls off the radar. Some companies actaully require 6 years clean driving but either way its pain you should be willing to put up with. As you say yourself it was your fault and we have to prepared to live with the consquences of our actions. Hang in there! :)

Mike.

Advertisement