Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do I get a log book

Options
  • 31-08-2003 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just bought an old Land Rover.

Late sixties, early seventies.

Problem is I bought it out of a field which had a few other landies in various states of repair, generally being broken for parts. The seller has no log book however and is not the registered owner.

Now I find this guy quite trustworthy and all, but before in invest any cash into this restoration I want to get legal ownership of the jeep.

So I have:
    A land rover,
    No log book/vehicle licencing cert
    No registration number
    No visible chassi number (yet, but I think the place where it normally should be is one of the many rust holes in the bulkhead.

So any ideas? the seller (well his auld lad was the one I actually met) was of the beleif that it should be no major issue. Anyone any experieince or tips before I go contacting the Vehicle registrations office?

I haven't spent much to buy this, and apart from the afforementioned bulkhead (which is entirely rusted and full of holes) it's in quite good nick. but I do want it legit before I invest anything more (time or money) in it.

Any advice?

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats a tricky one - maybe! I'd phone your local motor tax
    office and tell them what you've just posted. If the vehicle has no history but plainly is not "hot" I imagine they would have no qualms about re-registering the vehicle.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Without a registration number you will most likely have to apply for a modern reg (i.e. 75-D, etc) or , if it's over 30 yrs old, a ZV "vintage" reg.

Contact your local motor tax office and ask if it possible to trace the original reg using the chassis number - though I am very doubtful if this is the case.

Another point, if the vehicle was officially scrapped some years ago this could be a major stumbling block to re-registration.

I have heard of scrapped vehicles being "reborn" so to speak - an engineers report is required to declare the vehicle roadworthy. But in recent years the rules about scrapping vehicles has tightened-up, so check this out too.

Having said all that, Land Rovers chassis and bodies are interchangable so maybe you could get a wreck (with a log book) and swop the body work or chassis.

Silvera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Well I just rang my local tax office, ad they put me onto the local revenue office.

They say it shoudln't be a problem, but I'll have to present it for inspection before I can get a licence plate.....

Now that will require it to be trailered about 20 miles (on a nasty windy road) but it has to be "roadworthy"

and this would be a problem as mentioned in another post here. I have a trailer, but can't tow it, and the only person I know that has the equipment to tow it will have to take time off work to do so.

I may have to bite the bullet and get it roadworthy to drive it to nenagh for the test (they may have had issues anyway with the bulkhead/firewall being mostly made of rust.

They're gonna ring me back with further info, but it looks promising enough.

(if only I'd researched this beforehand I could have brought it to nenagh on the way home from dublin......... argghhhhh)

John

Advertisement