Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modified Classics

Options
  • 31-08-2003 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have any idea on what changes can be made to classic vehicles in ireland before they lose their classic staus?

Or is this another case of ask the insurance companies (well company actually, carole nash appear to be the only ones in this market)

I've just bought an old land rover and Am planning on restoring it. I do however plan on modernising it slightly......

Modern parabolic leafs for improved suspension, disc brakes for improved stopping, a more modern turbo diesel for slightly improved performance and drastically improved economy, and some better seats and stuff for the interior.

Any ideas how these things are viewed?

John

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

As far as I know, most of the cosmetic changes can be covered, however changes made to the chassis or engine are a bit of a grey area and I would do the following:

Get a quote from one of the companies before you make any changes stating the car is in its original condition.

A week or two later, go back to them, state that the car has been given the once over by a mechanic, tell them that he recommended the following.. mention some of the changes you are thinkin of and see how far you can go with them.

I have a 1971 beetle at home and im thinkin of makign a few changes, however I was warned that it wouldnt be accepted into any of the classic car clubs, which you have to be a member of to avail of classic insurance according to carol nash, if I made too many changes to the chassis or engine..

best of luck,

Tox

Advertisement