Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Dogs

Options
  • 31-08-2003 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

I live in an area where I see, on a daily basis, literally about 20-30 stray dogs a DAY! :(

To my mind, this has to be stopped, the pounds, and rescue orgs, when u call them are full and the dog wardens obviously are not doing their jobs properly.

I try each time, to get close to these dogs, and have managed with quite a few of them, they are nearly all just frightened puppies, who are left to roam busy roads day and night.

If anyone had the space, I would be happy to help collect these poor doggies for rehoming, c'mon, somone out there has to have some space they can use, to set up a place where these guys will be safe till we can find some kinda homes for them.
    If we can find the space, I know I can get us funding (from work) to keep it running,

B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

does this country have dog wardens? I for one have never seen them.

Last Tuesday I was at the dart station, saw a beautiful golden retriever pup wandering around (about 6-8 months old, still had that soft puppy fur). I presumed he was with someone at the station, but the more I watched him from my carraige(was waiting for the train to go) I realised he was on his own. So I got off the train and beckoned him to me. He came with no hesitation. He was wearing a collar and there was a phone number on it. I called the number, and got an answering machine where I left a message that I had found their dog and could they call me. I left my details. Time was moving on and I was already bloody late for work, so I took the pup to the station master and asked him would he mind him, until the owner turned up. He said yep and took him into his kiosk.

So I went to work, worried sick about this poor lil pup, lost from his loving home. I called my Mum who went to the station to check up on the dog (who at this stage had been fed and was sound asleep at the feet of the station master). She left her details and said she would pick him up at lunchtime and take him home with her had his owners still not called for him.

Meantime I phoned, garda stations, pounds, animal shelters , all leaving my details and saying who I had found.

Ok I know I'm going on a bit, so Mum calls in at lunchtime, pops a lead on him and proceeds to take him home to meet his new stepbrother Zak( a 2 yr old golden retriever). On the way to the car, this man runs across the road, oh Skippy is that my skippy. The dog visibly knew him. Mum explained to the man about what had happened. He was very blaze about the whole issue. Apparantly the dog gets out every day, goes to the beach for a swim, roams around all day until he is either brought home by a neighbour or someone goes out and finds him. I was appalled when I heard this. He is obviously an expensive dog, I was surprised he had not been stolen or captured at this stage. Such a beautiful creature and he was subjected to all the dangers of a puppy on the loose. His owners are away all day, they obviously know he gets out yet they do nothing to stop it or to help him.

I still think about this doggy. If I see him wandering around again on his own, he's coming to live with me. I wonder why some people get dogs, if they want to be part time pet owners, walk their neighbours dogs. grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Some people just don't care. At least not enough as they should do.

The very least people can do is get their dogs "fixed". Friend of a friend has a lovely energetic dog that loves to get out. She's just a year old and I don't doubt she'll have pups sometime soon. What will happen to those pups? Who knows. They don't want any more dogs...

I don't understand it myself. I'd be worried sick my beloved pooch would get run over, taken away, hurt, or maybe even hurt by some cruel animal-hating person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

or worse still , stolen by me, and subjected to a life of hugs and kisses and pigs ears!

Advertisement