Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL kit only Costs $82 per port

Options
  • 31-08-2003 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

I make it that Eircom can now upgrade exchanges with as little as 1,000 lines for DSL. $82 per port story Here . It has dropped 15% this year already.

Phil wants 100,000 DSL customers by end 2004. There are 1.6 Million analogue and ISDN lines so thats 6.25% or 63 lines on a 1,000 line exchange

RADSL is contended at 48:1 and the rest could be business 512k at 24:1 contention. 63 DSL ports is now $5,000. Less in Euros.

Thats 2 x 512k lines and another 512k for uplinks and management. 1 x HDSL (standard leased line) can handle the 1.5Mbit needed. That would cost Eircom €10k a year or so at most.

IT WILL ALL RUN OVER COPPER LADS

get it ON Phil.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Good, I was wondering what excuse they would have not to enable Blessington, and now they have none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I am hoping to do a more detailed article for a reputable site such as http://www.broadband4kinnegad.com/ , only if invited to !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

How much does the backhaul from the DSLAM cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Giblet,

exactly. with the amount of houses now, you would think they would jump at the chance....

have you heard anything about a date to install? . the last time i called about 2 months ago they said it would be 2 years.... yep....2 Y E A R S.....unbelieveable......

:rolleyes: :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Empty your PM inbox, Muck...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by longword
    How much does the backhaul from the DSLAM cost?

They can reuse their existing fiber they have in the exchanges, so this would be minimal. As far as connectivity to the Internet goes, I doubt Eircom are paying much more than 25 cents a gigabyte.

Originally posted by viking
    Empty your PM inbox, Muck...

:)

Yah!

The backhaul to Dublin is about €10k for 2Mbit at most .

Tppically the DSLAM will connect into existing fibre with a Virtual Circuit for itself of 2mbit back into Eircom.Net , your prices are a bit low U_W_ but I guess that you are talking about the Hibernia Atlantic fibre .... see Here . Hibernia Atlantic would cock a hind leg and spray you if you asked them for 2Mbit to the US .

We are now coming into the territory of what I will henceforth call the 'Kinnegad Konnundrum'.

Kinnegad need a 2Mbit pipe to get started. Hibernia Atlantic want to sell 5 times that in units of 10Mbit. The gap is big. It is equally big if 5 Kinnegads come together in a package (or is it )?

See the Hibernia Pricing Here . You may take it that Kinnegad-Dublin WILL cost more than a 5 Times Bigger Pipe Dublin-New York.

That is the Kinnegad Konnundrum :) . 10 Mbits is a lot better and easier to break down than the 155Mbits the MSE want to flog you off the fibre rings.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Hey Muck, I must have missed something. The MSE hasn't been chosen yet. So, how is it selling 155Meg links off of the fibre rings?

Originally posted by iwb
    Hey Muck, I must have missed something. The MSE hasn't been chosen yet. So, how is it selling 155Meg links off of the fibre rings?

I 'expect' that it will .

I 'hope' that it will sell smaller amounts starting at 10Mbit or so .

Otherwise it will serve to prove that the Kinnegad Konnundrum is a big problem. After all, Kinnegad is already a host town to the notorious Western Digital Corridor in which every Man Woman and Child in Kinnegad has already invested €3 or so. It was finished about this time 3 years ago ....some of you may Remember It . The Ocean site is gone and the Govenment has stripped all of Biddy O'Rourkes statements off their websites, (all very 1984 lads if it wisnae for the Google Cache).

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Ericsson have produced the smallest DSLAM in the world (DSLAM = DSL modem equivalent at your local "exchange").

It offers 8 MBits/sec and is designed for the smallest exchanges with up to 8 broadband customers. "No exchange site too small"

Watch the movie:

http://www.ericsson.com/network_operators/campaign/publicethernet/dsl.asx

zz..

PS more at http://www.ericsson.com/network_operators/campaign/publicethernet/01_broadband_challenge.html

• Advertisement

My figures demonstrated how Phil requires approx 63 connections per 1,000 lines to meet his own target.

Therefore i found a natty 64 port jobbie with a mere 2Mbit out the back.......from Huawei.

http://www.huawei.com/products/infodetail.jsp?id=417&type=1

Hua WHO you may ask. These guys got 2 contracts in the past month and a half for 1,000,000 DSL ports each, see How and Why . They are the Chinese Cisco. Only Alcatel (currently) supply more DSLAMs globally.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by Muck
    My One is Bigger n yours ZZ
    You've got no video for yours! Ha!

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
    Giblet,

exactly. with the amount of houses now, you would think they would jump at the chance....

have you heard anything about a date to install? . the last time i called about 2 months ago they said it would be 2 years.... yep....2 Y E A R S.....unbelieveable......

:rolleyes: :(:confused:

Yeah, the place practically doubles in size overnight, and still no interest.
    The last I heard is that when the Town Centre is finished, DSL shall be enabled.
    Considering how slow they are going, 2 years sounds about right.
    I live 200m from the exchange too.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by Muck
    My figures demonstrated how Phil requires approx 63 connections per 1,000 lines to meet his own target.

Therefore i found a natty 64 port jobbie with a mere 2Mbit out the back.......from Huawei.

http://www.huawei.com/products/infodetail.jsp?id=417&type=1

Hua WHO you may ask. These guys got 2 contracts in the past month and a half for 1,000,000 DSL ports each, see How and Why . They are the Chinese Cisco. Only Alcatel (currently) supply more DSLAMs globally.

M

They have formed a JV with 3COM
    http://www.3com.com/corpinfo/en_US/pressbox/press_release.jsp?INFO_ID=143873

so I think we'll be seeing more of them in the future..

Advertisement