Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Letter in to-day's SBP

Options
  • 31-08-2003 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

There is a follow-on in to-day's SBP letters section to those posted last week from a couple of members of this board. In the letter Caitlin O'Connor highlights how wireless is an alternative to Eircom's copper and the work the IBB are doing.

What she didn't mention was the lack of coverage of wireless, but then she'd hardly point out this weakness of their offering ;)

The letter doesn't seem to have been posted on the sbpost website yet so I can't link to it.

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Letters to the Editor - SBP, 31.08.03

From Caitlin O'Connor, Head of Market Development, IBB.

'Aodhan Cullen voiced his reasons for the dismal takeup of DSL in Ireland (SBP 24/08/03). Truly below all expectations!
    According to Aodhan, the standard of broadband DSL contention in Ireland at 48:1, does not equate to a quality product.
    I must point out that DSL is now not the only broadband choice available to consumers and businesses in the Irish marketplace. Wireless broadband products provide higher quality with lower contention.

Irish Broadband is a true broadband service provider providing "flat rate always-on internet connections at superior speeds". Irish Broadband, a wireless provider, does not require customers to have a phoneline, and provides leased line equivalent connections at beolow DSL prices.
    A typical home user will have a contention of 20:1, while a superior service at 4:1 is also available. The icing on the cake is that together with being synchronous (the same speed upstream as downstream) Irish Broadband's service is available from a mere 1.16 per day (€35 per month).
    This is a saving of 29 per cent (€12 per month) over a DSL service that has higher contention and a lower downstream speed to upstream speed.

With wireless broadband, no longer is the last mile a stumbling block. Home users or businesses dont need to have a dedicated phone line in order to have fast always-on internet access.
    Times are changing!'
    Sandyford Ind. Est.,
    Dublin

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Bah! they are still quite bad as comes to gaming. As i can testify over my 2.5 months experience. about 2/3's of that time was spent with dismal pings! meaning unplayable games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Mutant fruit you are the exception to the norm, maybe your located out side the right range for the tower, maybe you needed POE i don't know, but everythign i've read suggest IBB pings should kick the crap out of anything Eircom ADSL can offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Originally posted by Boston

, maybe you needed POE i don't know,

What does Power Over Ethernet have to do with better ping times ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You shouldn't believe everything you read about wireless. Wireless is always going to be a poor solution compared to a wired solution in a built-up area. Buildings cause multipath problems, and the bandwidth gets saturated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hearsay, but apparently Cork is networkorama. The entire city is swathed in networks, and it's starting to get pretty messy.

adam

Advertisement