Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A LP or An LP

• 01-09-2003 2:43am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So which is right to say : a lp or an lp (talking about les paul guitars, hence the LP abbreviation). Surely An only comes before a vowel and an "h" like "an historical". So which is right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well if you say it out loud an les paul it doesn't seem right but say a les paul is seams correct

a les paul is correct imo

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

No, I actually want to know about the letters LP. I included the Les Paul reference just to let people know what it was for.

So, is it a LP or an LP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

an lp imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Generally "an" goes before a vowel sound, and "a" before a consonant sound, and either are used before an unstressed or weakly stressed "h" (which varying according to dialect and personal preference).
    However exceptions to that rule are not infrequent in either speech or in writing; and of course some words will differ as to whether they have an initial consonant sound depending on the dialect of the speaker.

The use of "an" before any word beginning with "h" is a notable feature of King James Version English. It's also found elsewhere.

So there is a case for "a LP" but a greater case for "an LP" since it begins with a vowel sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'd agree with Talliesin.. It's generally accepted that the pronunciation ie. the phonemes and not the form ie. the letters take precedence, so 'an' LP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Funnily enough, I'd write 'a LP' if I was talking about Les Pauls because although I'd see 'LP', I'd read it "Les Paul".

Advertisement