Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Sony DAVS550 please

Options
  • 01-09-2003 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

My friend bought one of these and I want to help him wire it up to his TV and satellite receiver. both the TV and Satellite have SCART but the Sony doesn't. I mistakenly advised him to go buy two SCART cables and of course when he got them, the didn't work.
    The TV has three SCART sockets, one capable of RGB, so I am guessing that is the way to go from Sony to TV. Should I be bringing sound in also, as the Sony plays the sound too?
    The audio in on the Sony say L & R only. Does that mean there is little advantage to wiring the Sky Satellite receiver to it, as it won't be 5.1 or am I missing something?
    Anyone want to buy some SCART cables? They were fairly good quality ones at €20 each at Peats:D
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    iwb.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The audio in on the Sony say L & R only. Does that mean there is little advantage to wiring the Sky Satellite receiver to it, as it won't be 5.1 or am I missing something?

Nah, you will get dolby surround as it is transmitted in a stereo signal

Confused on your TV input, u say the tv has scart input so you guess thats the way to go, Sony to TV but earlier in yur post you say no SCART on the Sony
    What outputs on the back of the Sony so we can answer your q

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

ok, hope this helps.

reason for the lack of scart in the back of the davs 500 is because all you need to transmit to the tv is the video signal. so

-hook the little yellow ended video cable to the output on the back of the davs' then put that into a scart adaptor block (input), then stick that into one of the scart inputs i the back of the tele.

-heres the trick, all you actually need to take from your sony box is audio. so. get the red and white (usually) tipped audio cables about 3 euro and another scart block (output) attach one end of the audio to the scart block and insert into the output on the digibox, then take the other 2 and shtik em into the davs. alternatively you can just take them from the audio outs depending on the digibox.

-all you need to do now iiiiis swap the source/input depending on what you are watching, dvd or tv. you will set some element of surround sound but it wont be full 5.1. though i can check that.

and i would still recommend wiring it like this, because even though its not full effect, the speakers on that will still be muchos bettteros than your tv.

nice bitta kit by the way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by PAPILLION

-heres the trick, all you actually need to take from your sony box is audio. so. get the red and white (usually) tipped audio cables about 3 euro and another scart block (output) attach one end of the audio to the scart block and insert into the output on the digibox, then take the other 2 and shtik em into the davs. alternatively you can just take them from the audio outs depending on the digibox.

-all you need to do now iiiiis swap the source/input depending on what you are watching, dvd or tv. you will set some element of surround sound but it wont be full 5.1. though i can check that.

and i would still recommend wiring it like this, because even though its not full effect, the speakers on that will still be muchos bettteros than your tv.

nice bitta kit by the way. ;)

The 2 channel source from the digibox will be divided into Pro logic which is the system putting different parts of the audio out to diff speakers where its sees fit, the davs550 has Pro Logic 2 which s apparently as close as u can get to proper 5.1 from a 2 channel source, afaik some of the digiboxes have an optical out which allows for multichannel but im sure for the moment at least all u will get is 2 channel from the optical anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for the help. The TV, a Panasonic has RGB labelled on one of the three SCART sockets, and it seems the DAVS550 has RGB out so if I wanted the best quality signal into the TV, I should try to do this, right?
    For the Digibox, I guess as you guys suggest, I just need to get left and right audio from the SCART on it over to the DAVS550 then. I am toying with the idea of cutting one end off each of the SCART leads and putting on the ends I need, rather than trying to sell the leads on. It is doubtful that Peats will take them back as they are out of the clear bubble plastic enclosures that you have to rip apart to open.
    Thanks again for all the help with this. It seems pretty simple now that it has been explained to me:D
    iwb

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the digibox shud have a set of audio outs, even the oldest 1's do, just a set of twin phonos r neede to take the sound from th edigibox to the davs550 plus that leaves the 2nd scart on the digibox free for a video recorder shud u choose that

• Advertisement

heres a thought,
    ur mate wana buy a second hand plasma screen, 42" panasonic, with a small bit of screen burn, so he has great visuals to accompany great audio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

And this may be a long shot but you just might happen to have one for sale?:D

yup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

when in doubt try here or just flute around on the site as it is a fountain of knowldege

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Have a look at this for connection answers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement