Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband lowering price to EUR 30 inc vat

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by STaN
    So yours saying that even with 5% of the power limit of the US, they can achieve the same non-LOS preformance as in the US at the same distances?

In the U.S., Navini has a range of 10 miles (16.1km) and beyond, from what I understand. In contrast, IBB are only going 5km. In addition, technology has moved on since mobile phones, and they're using quite a large unit with a 8-inch antenna (I think it differes slightly on the frequency), which will be a lot better at receiving signal than your mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    In the U.S., Navini has a range of 10 miles (16.1km) and beyond, from what I understand. In contrast, IBB are only going 5km. In addition, technology has moved on since mobile phones, and they're using quite a large unit with a 8-inch antenna (I think it differes slightly on the frequency), which will be a lot better at receiving signal than your mobile.

Fair 'nuff, but that isnt 10miles @ non-LOS & completely internal from what i understand.

If they can only do 4miles nonLOS, then taking that same ration, they can only do 2km MAX nonLOS

Double the power doesn't usually mean double the range. IBB are saying 5km max from what I know, and I'm pretty sure this is LOS (or near-LOS).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Double the power doesn't usually mean double the range. IBB are saying 5km max from what I know, and I'm pretty sure this is LOS (or near-LOS).

Yeah but im sure 5% of the power effect its abilities to penetrate solid walls :)

Yeah but im sure 5% of the power effects its abilitis to penetrate solid walls :)

Depends on the number of walls. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

My mobile phone broadcasts at 1W... 10 times the allowed power limit in 2.4Ghz.

So yours saying that even with 5% of the power limit of the US, they can achieve the same non-LOS preformance as in the US at the same distances?

I'm saying that ripwave operates using cells which should be relatively small in an urban area - therefore they don't need much power.

Your mobile phone (assuming it is GSM) operates on varying wattages from a few milliwats to 2 watts. In an urban area it will normally be transmitting at far less than 1 watt. It can also operate 20kms or more from a cellsite in rural areas by jacking up the power.

Ripwave is CDMA based not unlike 3G phones. A 3G phone (WCDMA) operates at about 0,6 mW in an urban environment and 7mW in a rural environment. The maximum power output of a 3G handset is between 125 and 250 mW depending on model.

If you look at Irish Broadband's cellsite locations (see their website) they could cover a large part of Dublin with cells of about 4km range if they upgraded these sites to Ripwave.

zz..

Advertisement