Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recovering email from exchange 5.5

Options
  • 01-09-2003 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Can anybody shed some light;

Upto a week ago I used exchange as part of a small network but now I want to go it alone on my desktop, I want to recover my emails from exchange 5.5 and load them back onto my desktop machine (outlook 2000)

I cant find a .pst file so the data must be contained in my old exchange information... what is the file format that would contain all that info (contacts, inbox, sent items etc) ?

any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

may be an .ost file instead. connect to server and then you can export it to a .pst

otherwise it is on the server as you suspect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tools - services - check for personel folders in there
    check the M$ exchange settings
    OST - is when you synchronise offline

exmerge can be used to export mailboxes directly from the server.

NOTE: if anything happens to your PST file say goodbye to your email....

Actually in outlook - file export into a PST file.....
    Then file open to read it

Note: if you burn a PST onto CD it becomes read only - so copy it off the CD and change the attribute from read only to see what is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Tried the above but no success. I reckon I'll have to reload exchange 5.5 onto another PC, set myself up as a user again and then export the emails to a PST.
    What folder are user mails stored in ?(in exchange)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SERVER
    If you run M$ Exchange Administrator ...

open the site / click on the server - file properties
    you will then see the database paths
    usually \Exchsrv\mdBdata and \Exchsrvr\DSAdata
    Note: only Exm Server can read these - Clients can't

CLIENT
    Outlook / Exchange
    Search for *.pst / *.ost on the HDD / on the server ....
    Check the properties of each of the items in Tools-Services in your current profile.

(Reconfigure email support - if you are using smtp only - choose corporate)

SMTP Client - eg: Outlook Express
    Don't Know - Don't care...

Advertisement