Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Broadband Drop Prices

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

IBBs coverage map won't load for me unfortunately. Can any one post it, or tell me if their range is within the Dublin 12 area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Ripwave is only on 3 Rock - and will most likely only be that way for the coming months at least.

Those that want to be checked for suitability for 3 Rock Ripwave, drop me a mail on charl@irishbroadband.ie - with your name and contact details and most importantly an address.

There is also Major work being done on the 3 Rock backhaul - which will benefit ALL current users on that side of the network.

The work should be completed this week.

For clients that are not in that area - but are interested in the Alvarion products - mail me with your details as above and an indication of what product/bandwidth you are interested in.

I am working on updating the coverage maps and trying to make something available to easily see from a webpage or similar where coverage should be on a 'quick look' scale. A LOS test would still need to be done etc - but will help you to understand more or less where we cover with what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Chaz - could you clarify what pings are within the range of Ripwave. i.e. will ripwave give pings of 100, 500, or 1000? I've tried ringing tech. support, but all i get is "Ripwave will be worse than the LOS product".

Do ripwave pings vary depending on the placement of your house and the ripwave box? or will they always be constant, and the same for everyone?

Mutant Fruit.

Too many questions :-)

The pings under ideal conditions are supposed to be around 50-70 ms. There seems to be a fair influence with a change in signal.

Some of the erratic pings from 3 Rock have been due to the backhaul links. These are being replaced to huge STM licensed links which 3 Rock should be done today or tomrrow - this week at least. The team is up there now working on the new links.

The Navini product is a broadband DSL equivalent - if you want it for gaming - its not the way to go. It 'should' be better than dialup and 'should' be similar to DSL - however as before - no latecies are guarenteed.

And just a last few quesions;

1) with the price drop to the 35eur a month (LOS product) the contention ratio is 20-1. This will/might affect download speeds, but will it affect pings? Already on the tallaght tower i get just playable pings, which although they can average 60-70'ish, spike up to 200+ frequently. This is a problem with your gateway server, as when i run pings on the gateway server, i can get 10, 10, 11, 10, 170, 15, 23, 10, 9, 210 etc. Will changing from 8-1 to 20-1 worsen the pings?

Also, are these spikes likely to be fixed when you're finished upgrading the 3rock tower?

Previously (about 1-2 months ago) pings were atrocious in tallaght tower, averaging 100 at the least to the gateway, and sometimes averaging 600. things have much improved soince then though. For the first week or two the pings were constantly low, with no spikes, but the spikes are coming backl now.

Mutant - you are asking questions I cannot answer.

Pings are technology and bandwidth related. As long as you have around 64Kbits available to you in most games- pings will be sub 100. Do the maths on 1:20 vs 1:8

The 3 Rock links change over is complete - therefore Navini and existing LOS technology cliensts should see a big improvement.

Pings from 3 Rock to the Fibre peering point at RTE are 1.2 ms constant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Chaz
    Ripwave is only on 3 Rock - and will most likely only be that way for the coming months at least.

I was under the strong impression that the Ripwave product would be available from other masts such as the city centre ones! Can you elaborate on why the rollout has frozen at the one mast covering a very limited portion of South Dublin Chaz ?

M

I cannot unfortunately.

It is a decision taken by management to complete other roll outs and there are other factors that have come into play.

• Advertisement

To be honest then , the situation until further notice is that IBB's Cheapest product is 512k €35 a month with 20:1 contention and €149 standard install (except in 3Rock/Knocklyon) and ideally requires LOS but will kinda work NLOS

M

Yes - basically LOS - unless within about 1km.

I am doing coverage maps at the office and will place them for download or similar for those that are interested where coverage is.

Why is Tallaght and Knockylon excluded?

Generally the €35 product is available.

3Rock/Knocklyon are the exception to that, there is a €30 product available there with cheaper install and nomadic features.

It is false advertising to state that prices start at €30 unless they are generally available which is not the case if one mast out of 10 has the product by christmas.

M

The Tallaght area is NOT Navini enabled - its is the 3 Rock area.

As far as the 'false advertising' goes - I have and will not have anything to do with that. I am simply a tech person trying to keep clients informed and am a messenger - you know the good old story of not shooting the messenger.

Please respect the information that I filter out - and there are times that I cannot answer something due to its sensitive nature etc.

whoops, I call everything you can see from 3 Rock 'Tallaght' , habit. Fixed Chaz

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

You actually can't get the standard LOS offering in Knocklyon, its on the wrong side of the mountain or something... I'd imagine this would affect Ripwave aswell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Chaz
    I am simply a tech person trying to keep clients informed and am a messenger... Please respect the information that I filter out

i'm sure the majority of people appreciate you taking the time to answer logisitical / technical queries and give detailed info about the services - i certainly do :)

you know the other good old story - unfortunately there's usually someone out to knock one down no matter how helpful one is trying to be :(

been very happy running off the RTE transmitter since Jan and get asked about IBB from time to time - good to see the web site updated with the products / prices, if you could get the coverage maps updated that would be great too - makes it easier to refer people to the info

thanks for the info,
    atb,
    BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

failed my LOS test unfortunately :'( but wanted a navini. so i popped into the office to pick one up. i get no signal to my house, which seems rather strange seeing as Truckle lives at the bottom of my estate, and he has ripwave.

hopefully it is just that the lads have forgotten to enter the MAC address of my ripwave client into their system.

bring on monday!

bring your ripwave box to your friends house who has a signal and see if it works there.

And what kinda pings are you getting on it, and whaat is he getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

just back from wexford now... *** i think i am too lazy to do anything now, ill just wait until tomorrow and see if they ring me

There were some 'technical' difficulties with the authentication system over the weekend. Ring the office on Monday and make sure your radio is provisioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement