Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP home Safe Mode

Options
  • 01-09-2003 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

I have a Sony Vaio with XP home on it, every time it boots it goes straight into Hibernation, it's happening to fast for me to change the settings. So I thought that no bother I'll boot to Safe mode and fix it but the Laptop won't let me into safe mode any Ideas how to get into safe mode ?? I've tried F5 and F8 and just about every other key on the Keyboard.
    Anybody any Ideas ??

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

holding down f8 before the splash screen
    will bring up the startup menu

select safe mode from there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

No, i've tried this but it doesn't give me an option for Safe Mode

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Does it give you a menu asking if oyu would like to start windows XP? Or what drive you would like to boot from?

If it does, select the OS you want and then press F8 again (immediately) about once per second. Should bring up the Menu with Safemode option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is it the sony HW or the M$ OS causing it to do that ????

can't remember which key does that - try holding down a key until you get a keyboad error.

when you get into windows - \i386\winnt32 /cmdcons
    though even that might not be quick enough to beet it

try with and without battery - maybe try letting the battery go flat ??

(Took long enough to find it on the Tosh - ESC)

Holding down the shift key used to work on win9x - but don't hold your breath

try booting from CD - if that's an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

boot off xp cd
    boot into automated system recovery..
    whatever xp name for it is..
    ur looking for the recovery console..

this has worked for me before

you can actually delete the hibernation file from the root of the booting drive

Hiberfil.sys is the Hibernation file used to store the state of the PC when it last went into hibernation.

attrib hiberfil.sys -a -r -s -h

del hiberfil.sys

when windows doesnt find it or finds it is corrupt, it boots back into normal mode.

any h/w modifications made to a pc between the time it was put into hibernation mode state and restored from hibernation mode,
    is a serious problem too..
    especially memory size changes

just in case u made any h/w modifications

• Advertisement
Advertisement