Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best. Game soundtrack. Ever!

Options
  • 01-09-2003 11:36am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭

What's your favourite game soundtrack? I'd like if everyone would limit their suggestions to original soundtracks. That means no licensed soundtracks or 'That song from Fifa "insert number here"'.

1. FFVI. In my opinion it's Nobuo Uematsu's best work. Anyone how has played it should be able to hum at least 3 of the tracks.

2. FFX. Not limiting the composers for FFX to just Nobuo Uematsu was a stroke of genius by Square. Great soundtrack with loads of variety and complements the game perfectly.

3. Suikoden. Fantastic sountrack. Unfortunately the other games in the series didn't live up to it's standards.

4. Einhander. One hell of a techno soundtrack. This is now on my mp3 'to download' list.

5. Xenosaga. Better than the Xenogears soundtrack thanks to it being preformed by the london Symphony orchestra.

6. Xenogears. Would have been higher in my list except that the music was repeated far too much.

7. Chrono Trigger. Very atmospheric. Can't comment on the sequel since I haven't got round to playing it yet.

8. Mechwarrior 2. Geat synthesiser soundtrack.

9. FFVII. Nobuo Uematsu strikes again.

10. Mega Man 2. The soundtrack is great and it's on a NES. Doesn't happen very often.

Soundtracks of note.
    Suikoden 2. Retrospection, major battle theme and the opening by thewarsaw philharmonic orchestra are classics. Unfortunately they are complemented by some of the worst music ever to come from a Playstation.
    Axelay had great music as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

FFVII gets my vote – it’s the only game that has ever convinced me to splash out and actually buy the sountrack (orchestral version). I firmly believe that Aerith’s Theme is the best piece of videogame music ever.

Also noteworthy are Turrican on the C64, Castlevanian SoTM on the PSX, Lunar Eternal Blue and Lunar Silver Star Story (espeically the opening songs) and of course Zelda and all its variants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Umetsu's work on the Final Fantasy games is amazing - FFVII is a particularly stunning soundtrack, but all of them have their high points. Whatever your opinion about FF8, both Liberi Fatali and Eyes on Me are superb pieces of music; FF9 had some excellent tracks (although musically it was weaker than most of its stablemates) and FFX is simply stunning musically.

However, Yasunori Mitsuda is another chap whose soundtrack work is outstanding - he did the music for Chrono Trigger (and Chrono Cross, which arguably had better music), Xenogears and Xenosaga. He's just a bit good.

That said... If I was to pick one game which is going to sound AMAZING from the list of forthcoming titles... It would have to be Xenosaga Episode 2, because Yuki Kaijura is doing the music for it, and she's one of the most amazing musicians I've ever heard. (She did the music for Noir and .hack//SIGN, which some anime fans may recognise - those of you who don't know her stuff would do well to go off and find a copy of her new album, Fiction, which is out in the USA and Japan and readily available on import). The thought of what she'll do with game music is enough to send pre-emptive shivers down your spine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

final fantasy 7, xenogears and chrono cross have to be the best ive heard. the opening theme to chrono cross is amazing. metal gear solid 2's clancey'esque opening theme is a fantastic peice of work. shame the rest of the soundtrack didnt live up to it. zone of the ender and zone of the enders 2 also have fantastic opening themes. final fantasy x was also fantastic. some of the of the tracks from the upcoming fanservice that is final fantasy x-2 are quite good, Gagazetoyama, Eternity, 1000 No Kotoba are the only real standout ones.

http://www.neillcorlett.com/psf/ is where you want to go for real playstation soundtracks in the great psf format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Full Throttle all the way! what was the name of that band? they were cool!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't believe I forgot to mention Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

I love Yasunori Mitsuda's work as well. The kind of celtic music of Xenogears and what little of Chrono Cross that I heard was fantastic, especially in the xenogears creid album.

I'll have to check out some of Yuki Kaijura's work.

It's really unfortunate that all of Suikoden 2's best music isn't in PSF ad it's quite hard to find on the net. I'll probably end up buying the soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Medal of Honor: Frontline has been the only game which had standout music, for me. Very operatic and timeless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by Spacedog
    Full Throttle all the way! what was the name of that band? they were cool!
    From the Gone Jackals (Album: Bone To Pick). Retr0gamer said original music only! :) I loved that music too..... Intro riff to Legacy (from the intro to the game) is great stuff.

- Dave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retr0gamer said original music only!

I don't really mind. It was only a suggestion. Full throttles soundtrack isn't exactly mainstream any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I loved the music in Doom. Simple I know :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Originally posted by Shinji
    That said... If I was to pick one game which is going to sound AMAZING from the list of forthcoming titles... It would have to be Xenosaga Episode 2, because Yuki Kaijura is doing the music for it, and she's one of the most amazing musicians I've ever heard. (She did the music for Noir and .hack//SIGN, which some anime fans may recognise - those of you who don't know her stuff would do well to go off and find a copy of her new album, Fiction, which is out in the USA and Japan and readily available on import). The thought of what she'll do with game music is enough to send pre-emptive shivers down your spine :)

Yuki Kajiura is absolutely fantastic. By far my favourite composer, eastern, western or otherwise. I can't get enough of her..especially her latest solo work, Fiction. I urge everyone to check this one out wheter you're an anime/game fan or not (most of the tracks are in English anyway :) )

If you're more of a hardcore jpop fan, I'd suggest you give a listen to Yuki's own band, See-Saw, and their latest album 'Dream Field'. Personal favourites include Gundam Seed Outro 'Anna Ni Issho Datta No Ni' and .hack//Liminality opening 'Kimi Ga Ita Monogatari'.

anyway, back on topic; Squaresoft games allmost allways have quality OSTs ,despite the lack of some sound processors back in the day ¦] FFVII comes highly recommended. Also, can't believe no one has mentioned any of the Grand Theft Auto series :(
    They've had it right since the first one..and Vice City's whoopin' 7 disc ost is a musical treat. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

yeah, the FF soundtracks have been rather excellent for the most part.

I also happen to think the BF1942 music is rather good, especially the Star Wars mod for it

GTA Vice City anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I love the soundtrack in both Homeworld games, and pray that HW2 has an equally atmospheric one. As mentioned above Mechwarrior 2 had an excellent score too.

When it comes to consoles the final fantasy series, super smash brothers melee, and both Chrono games wipe the floor with all. But Halos main theme deserves honourable mention.

[Edit]Oh and the FZero GX soundtrack sounds great too, just downloaded several mp3s of it.[/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah the Halo soundtrack is deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Some of the orchestral scores in Icewind Dale are gorgeous. The one for when you're in Easthaven is very moving. I sometimes load the game up just to listen to that music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

The first time I played the original Tomb Raider on the Saturn, I was absolutely blown away by the soundtrack. At places, it matched the huge magnificence (hindsight: heh) of the levels perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Max Payne and Vice City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

pc
    aliens versus predator - atmospheric stuff...
    soul reaver 1 & 2 - ditto.
    severance: blade of darkness - and then some...
    duke nukem 3D - just the title screen song...
    wip3out - gwan teh cold storage!
    max payne - i love the title music.
    vice city - best licensed soundtrack evar...

gb/a
    metroid fusion
    tetris

snes
    donkey kong country - the underwater music
    doom - after years of playing it on a soundcard-less pc, i finally got a chance to hear the game in all its glory...
    super metroid

mega drive
    all the sonics - damn catchy

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

My favourite game soundtracks are The Legend Of Zelda:A link to the Past and Ocarina of time (there are a lot of identical tunes on both)

F-Zero on the snes has a great soundtrack , that game wouldnt be nearly as good without that music.

The music in Shenmue 1 and 2 was great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by tman

donkey kong country - the underwater music

im tellin ya that was ripped off from a Cocteau Twins song called I Wear Your Ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i like the tunes on def jam vendetta. probly as ive been playing it quite a bit recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nobuo Uematsu is the man the music in FF7 made me weep :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Zelda Ocarina of Time. I find myself humming sarias song all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

metal gear solid on the ps. especially the intro. (played in ful at the end aswell) the music was very atmospheric and gave a kind of a haunting feeling to the game. maybe its just me. mgs2 was quite good aswell but not up to the standards of the first. also the original medal of honour is worth a mention. of course you cant forget:
    vice city - best licensed soundtrack evar
    ditto.

tony hawks 2 was good coz they had ratm on it :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hooded

Legend of Kain in the insane assilum. Its rock with radom screams
    and any GTA game.Silent bomber had the sweetest music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Wow, weird coincidence i was listening to the FF7 main theme fully orchestrated just as i opened boards today and saw this thread :) I think that says it all. oh and if anyone knows where i can get the ORCHESTRATED soundtrack id be appreciative. So far ive only gotten the main theme and aeris theme of kazaa, cant find anything else :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

R-Type had some pretty cool dance tunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Guh, I just sold a copy of the Orchestrated FFVII soundtrack on eBay. Ah well. I'll give you a shout if I find another copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Gaaaah!! All I'm hearing is FFVII, FFVI, FFX, FFIX!!!
    For real orchestra pieces written specifically for a game look to MYST III: Exile. I got the OST with the collectors edition and it's just brilliant. And don't forget MYST or RIVEN either. The moody atmospheric music is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Loved the FreeSpace 2 sound track, very grandeous and epic type music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Turrican!

Doo do doo doo doo doooo dooooo dooooo.

Genius.

Advertisement