Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

p4 3.0c won't run at 1000FSB?

• 01-09-2003 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I've been thinking about upgrading my jazz box to a p4 3.0c on an Abit IC-7 mobo, with twinx 4000 ddr. This ram runs at 250mhz, which gives me a 1ghz FSB, but i've just read on anandtech, in the article about the p4c800-E, that the highest stable overclocked FSB with the 3.0c was 980. Is this just on this motherboard? Or is it because they used the default voltage? Is there any point in getting a 3.0c if I'll have to slow down the FSB?
    Kind of defeats the purpose of ddr-4000, doesn't it. Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

multiplier is locked so a 1000mhz fsb would mean a chip speed of 3.75ghz (by my quick maths), they probably mean that the chip wouldn't go that fast, and only got to 3.65 or so.

A p4 2.4c on a 1000 fsb would run at 3ghz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i've seen ppl getting a p2.4 up to 3.5 ghz on the overclockers.co.uk forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ive seen a 2.4c @ 3.8ghz on overclockers forum !! Think it was using a pelt, but hey thats nice :D . I think the chip would be the limiting factor on the 3.0c hitting 1ghz FSB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

with normal cooling and no real fiddling (yet) I got a 2.4 to 2.9 with one case fan on an IC7. Thats with 3200 matching pairs.

bit of extra cooling and fiddling and I expect about 3.2Ghz stable..

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

My 2.4 is running sweet at 3.0GHz with stock cooling (temp: 46 idle - 56 load).
    I think the 3.0GHz cpus are way too expensive, better to get a good 2.4 and spend the extra on a top-end Gfx card ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I have a 2.4Ghz running at 3.01Ghz on an IC-7 with 2 x 512mb Matched Corsair. with stock cooling in a Skyhawk.

I upped the voltage slightly after it crashed testing on Prime95
    And it ran stable for 12 hours!!

Very happy!

I second sir random's idea with spending the cash you save on a nice GFX Card.......... or more ram, you can never have enough ram....

Advertisement