Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Little help..............

Options
  • 01-09-2003 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Evening all

Thinking of buying a car this week – (dart has kept me late for work too many times).

What do you think I could get for about €5000 in a small 1 litre girly car.

Also planning to head off to Australia in about a year and a half so will be selling it then. Does anyone know what kinds of cars keep their value well.

Cheers ears

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I have a 1Litre SEAT Ibiza for sale a bit more than 5K but worth it imho.

Details are
    30K on the clock
    Full Service History
    Electric Windows
    Remote Central Locking
    Immobliser
    Drivers Airbag
    Alloys (tires have only done about 2K)
    Upgraded shocks and springs (Koni Adjustable dampers with H&R Sports Springs)
    Upgraded speakers all round (Sony xplode)
    Pioneer 8 x CD Changer
    Upgraded brake pads with braded brake lines and ATE SuperBlue brake fuild (reduces brake fade)

Heres a few pics
    http://www.kealan.com/ibiza/ibizafront.jpg
    http://www.kealan.com/ibiza/ibizaside.jpg

I must say this this car never let me down and always started first turn of the key. If your interested drop me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Ypu really should be looking for your fiestas, starlets/yaris, punto golf, micras etc. Basicly the Big Brand mini cars. All good value, reliable sound cars.

Stay away from the boyracer modness though:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Originally posted by kayos
    Upgraded brake pads with braded brake lines and ATE SuperBlue brake fuild (reduces brake fade)

:D

Fast & Furious 3 will be touch soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

You'd get yourself a nice clean Polo for €5k, it'll hold it's value pretty well too. I was gonna recommend a Yaris but you're unlikey to find one for that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Was ur man with the 1.0 Ibiza taking the piss. No-one could be that innocent.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by rander00
    Was ur man with the 1.0 Ibiza taking the piss. No-one could be that innocent.

No I was not taking the piss and I dont see your point in saying that. That car has been cared for since it was bought and is in very good condition. Also if your saying that SEAT's are unreliable then you are greatly mistaken.

@Mojomaker Oh haha just because I like to have good brakes on a car I should be in F&F. Hell the frist thing I did to my new car was upgrade the brakes. I like to know that when I need them I have brakes that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

kayos ,
    Thats Oranmore astro turf . What exactly are you hoping to get for the car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

No I was not taking the piss and I dont see your point in saying that. That car has been cared for since it was bought and is in very good condition. Also if your saying that SEAT's are unreliable then you are greatly mistaken.

@Mojomaker Oh haha just because I like to have good brakes on a car I should be in F&F. Hell the frist thing I did to my new car was upgrade the brakes. I like to know that when I need them I have brakes that work.

If Seat's are so good, what's wrong with the original brakes?
    Are you short-sighted?

@NeRb666 Why would you upgrade your video card in your PC? Simple answer to have a better one. Same reasoning applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

The standard brakes would be more than enuf to stop that yoke.

I dont see the point in making changes to little cars like that, if it was a sports car in the first place, it looks good but not towneees cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭jamesd

Originally posted by rander00
    The standard brakes would be more than enuf to stop that yoke.

They may be good enough but what is the harm in upgrading them? Improve's stopping and makes a car alot safer.
    It dosent mean you have bigger brakes because you drive faster -bigger brakes on a car could save you if some driver pulls out in front of you on a road.....

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by jamesd
    They may be good enough but what is the harm in upgrading them? Improve's stopping and makes a car alot safer.
    Doesn't make the car any safer. I guarantee that once you are used to the shorter stopping distance you will leave less time for braking because you don't need as much. This brings you back to the 'old' level of safety.

Same thing happened to Volvo drivers. They were told the car was safer so they drove more dangerously to balance it out.

@rander00 I suppose you think the front brakes on this car are stupid as well since its an only an ibiza...
    20_ibiza.jpg

They are a brembo 4 pot set-up with 305x25 disc's..What do you reckon? Is the car too small for such brakes since its only an Ibiza? Would this car even need such brakes?

@rander00 I suppose you think the front brakes on this car are stupid as well since its an only an ibiza...
    It's probably worth pointing out that he said the standard brakes were enough to stop "that yoke" referring to a 1 litre ibiza.

Obviously if you put a much more powerful engine in a car it will need uprated brakes

Why? You're still subject to the same speed limits after all? The real reason is that it allows you to drive faster around the place, and by some perverted logic, appear 'cooler' amongst spotty car-modding brethren.

It really comes down to a question of vanity, but most young bucks still bang on with the "I need to stop faster" angle. Why do you need to stop faster? Was the manufacturer that clueless that they released a dangerous car to the market? Hardly. By the time you're working a few years you will realise how much cash you wasted trying to assert yourself in your peer group's pecking order and trying to get laid (which is ultimately what the pecking order obsession is all about).

ffs, what an expensive way to get laid though!

@Silent Bob The engine in the above Ibiza was put in there by SEAT it was not an engine transplant. So if I have taken both of you up right since it is the engine the car left the factory with and since it is not a sports car (it has useable back seats) and the ibiza is a small car or as rander00 put it a "towneees car" the brakes should not have been upgraded from the standard brakes?

@MojoMaker Ok lets deal with all your points one by one.
    Why? You're still subject to the same speed limits after all? The real reason is that it allows you to drive faster around the place, and by some perverted logic, appear 'cooler' amongst spotty car-modding brethren.
    Yes your quite right we all have to obey the speed limits on the public roads. I dont see how upgrading your brakes allows you to drive any faster if anything bigger brakes = more weight = slower car. Having bigger brakes does not encourge me to drive faster. If I wanted to drive fast I could do so without upgrading my brakes. As for looking cool some people try to look good by the clothes they wear etc and some take pride in the way their cars look I dont see anything wrong in that. As for the "spotty car-modding brethren" I think your just painting every one that likes to mod their cars (be it ICE, Body Styling, Engine or whatever) with the one brush. I know plenty of people who are into modding cars and are anything but young and spotty (which is what I take it you mean by spotty).
    It really comes down to a question of vanity, but most young bucks still bang on with the "I need to stop faster" angle. Why do you need to stop faster?
    Its not about vanity, some of us need to stop faster because we drive our cars in situations where it is prefectly legal to be doing well over the speed limits i.e. Trackdays. Having good brakes for track days is hugely important even the small changes like braded lines and a better quality brake fluid are important.
    By the time you're working a few years you will realise how much cash you wasted trying to assert yourself in your peer group's pecking order and trying to get laid (which is ultimately what the pecking order obsession is all about).
    Well I have been working for nearly 6 years now and this is my hobby and if I wish to spend my money on my car then so be it, I could if I wanted to just go out every weekend and piss it against a wall.

@Silent Bob The engine in the above Ibiza was put in there by SEAT it was not an engine transplant. So if I have taken both of you up right since it is the engine the car left the factory with and since it is not a sports car (it has useable back seats) and the ibiza is a small car or as rander00 put it a "towneees car" the brakes should not have been upgraded from the standard brakes?
    Did I ever say it had to be an "engine transplant"? All I was saying is that a seat Ibiza with more than just a 1 litre engine would justify better stoppers than a 1 litre (unless of course it was a 1 litre rotary:))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Jeez can the guy not make a few changes to his car if he wants to without getting abused? IMO anything you do to a car to make it a anyway safer is good. SEAT would have designed the brakes with more then enough capacity to stop the car but if you can make them better why the hell not? He doesnt sound like someone who flies around the place driving like a lunatic and i think its just the same as adding a new head unit or seat covers, its his so he has every right to do what he wants with it. To some people it may look stupid but isnt it often the norm to buy something and then make it a little better yourself by adding to it?

Its like buying a car with an alarm and then buying a steering whell lock. The alarm will more then likely be fine but why not have a bit extra if you feel like it?

And kayos, Im not mad into SEATS but i think yours looks very nice on those wheels so f uck everyone who gives you grief for spending money on something you like. If you had it plastered in stickers, spots and spoilers it would be plain stupid but it looks really well the way it is so fair play to you.

@pclancy cheers for that :). It was a point I was going to make that if I was after peer approval I woudl have gone for a different make/model i.e. a jap car as not many people are into SEAT's over here. I have not touched the outside body work nor do I intend to as I like the look of the car as is and since there is only a hand full of them (2-3) in the south its a rare sight so why put on a body kti anyone can get.

@Silent Bob What you said made it sound like I had done a transplant if I took you up wrong sorry. But my point still stands that by what was said by rander the brakes should not be changed which I think is bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

some people will just give you abuse no matter what you post.

@Silent Bob What you said made it sound like I had done a transplant if I took you up wrong sorry. But my point still stands that by what was said by rander the brakes should not be changed which I think is bull
    To be fair to him, rander00 said that the brakes didn't need to be changed not that they shouldn't be changed.

And pclancy, no one ever gave kayos abuse, stop taking a BB so seriously :)

I have not touched the outside body work nor do I intend to as I like the look of the car as is and since there is only a hand full of them (2-3) in the south its a rare sight so why put on a body kti anyone can get.

I know at least 4 people with 1.0 Ibiza's (all women btw) so what are you on about? It's quite a common car, not as common as a Fiesta perhaps but common enough. Nice looking car but tell me something if you are not a young bloke as you claim how come you're still in a 1.0? And don't blame the insurance....if you had any kind of decent driving history/experience it wouldn't be a problem.

Right lets put this straight the Green Ibiza which I am selling was my last car which I bought from new when I was 21. The red one (my current car) was the car I was talking about when I said there was only a handful of them in the south. It is an Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT there was only two of them sold by SEAT Ireland and if you ask them they will normally say they never sold them. So they are a rare car over here and the kit on them is different to the standard Ibiza so they look different to. Also whats with the "all women" comment? Would you not drive a Prosche 911 because you know 4 people that own them and they are all women? I dont know about you but I could not give a rats ass what the majority gender that drives a car is. If I like a car feic what others think once I am happy with my car.

As for not being a "young bloke" I am about to hit the 25 mark and that to me is not young. Any way what does age have to do with the size engine in your car? When did those to items become related? Its prefectly ok to be 40 and drive a 1litre IMHO. What age are you and what car do you drive?

Advertisement