Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there SATA cdroms?

• 01-09-2003 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

As the subject says ... is there anything else apart from hard drives that are SATA ...?

A search of google did not offer any links to manufacturers ...(only other people asking the same question as me :p ) ... but the interesting thing is that MSI have a new bios that fixes "SATA cdrom detect problem"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Doubt you'll see any anytime soon, I mean a normal IDE cd-drive is just ATA33, theres no real need for higher transfer rates (even ATA33 is more than adequate for the fastest 52 speed drives).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

It would be nice to use the sata cables though. Anyone tried to use a sata converter in a cdrom ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the serillel convertors work on cd-roms.

the newest bios on the ic7-g (well 2 weeks ago) had a problem with booting to the cd-rom on a sata cable, so i had to connect it to the old ide connector to install windows.

The changeover is an inevitability, even hard drives don't get anywhere near 150mb/s remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

SATA for DVD burners might be needed in a while. Even though the bandwidth isnt needed, it nice to have those narrow cables!

just out of interest, how does the CPU load of SATA compare with PATA?

ive used dx9+ drives and found them to be nice, anyone tried a 10k raptor? Im thinking of selling my 10k cheetah and trying one.

Advertisement