Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jsut got the trinity orientation pack

Options
  • 01-09-2003 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

christ its confusing, any body know where to go on day one?
    also is the chemistry thing worth doing, i didn't do it for the leaving and i have to study it for a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Go like all lambs to the slaughter on day one of fresher's week.

Straight through that front Arch with your mouth open!
    By tuesday you'll have found other entrances!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

its mad, i have a check list, and no idea where to start, have you got this, have you tried that, have you visited this bloke.

Seems like you're doing a Science type course. AFAIK the chemistry thing is just for people who didn't do it in the leaving. After all not many have done all 3 (main) sciences for the leaving. I wouldn't know if any of them courses are compulsory or anything though. However, I would say that if you're doing nothing else it couldn't hurt. If nothing else it'll remind you of what you did in the leaving. Plus you'll get to meet some of your class and things before all the others arrive. (That's what my first post was about)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

You bas***d, you lucky lucky bas***d.

What I wouldn't give to be back on day 1 of year 1 of college again. Can't give any advice on the chemistry thing but I will say this. If I had to do it all over again I'd join the Scuba club and the rifle club first thing. Shooting is really good fun and diving is an excellent sport to get into, especially in college because it's so much cheaper that way.

Anyway, enjoy, and best of luck

the rifle club, your joking right? theres a club i can join to shoot **** up, cool. what is trinity like anyway, is there allto of the up calls gentry about the place, because i'm a north dublin skanger and so are my mates(who also got into engineering there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Speaking from my experience, Trinity was brilliant. I had the time of my life in colllege.
    Yeah they'll give you a rifle and live ammo and let you shoot targets (paper bulls eyes).
    is there allto of the up calls gentry about the place, because i'm a north dublin skanger and so are my mates(who also got into engineering there)
    Those times are long gone. I did Computer Science so I was in the same faculty as engineering, believe me they're anything but posh.

Originally posted by Mick L
    Speaking from my experience, Trinity was brilliant. I had the time of my life in colllege.
    Yeah they'll give you a rifle and live ammo and let you shoot targets (paper bulls eyes). Those times are long gone. I did Computer Science so I was in the same faculty as engineering, believe me they're anything but posh.

lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Don't believe him. They'll have you speaking with that wretched accent by week two.

It's a trap, a trap I tells ya!

RUN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

I don't know much about science apart from its really heavy going for the first year or two - lots and lots of lectures.

Trinity is great, but try to make the most of it. Join fun clubs - surf club is a great laugh, rifle club is fun cos you get to shoot stuff and just meet as many people as you can. Cos its in the city centre there'll be loads of opportunities to go out. Just talk to anyone and everyone and you'll soon work out who're spanners and who are nice people :)

With regards to your checklist of stuff to do, just start with the first thing on it and work through it. Afair you have to meet your tutor at a certain time, do tours of the libraries and the sports club at other times and register. The tours are crap, and you don't really need to bother with them if you're too busy enjoying fresher's week.

whats the story with tutors, mine a guy named Dr anto (anthony) quin. they any use, sounds liek a good idea. I'm so joining the rifle club, do i get to buy guns ?

I register for eng on thursday, is it worth going in from the start. (monday)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Originally posted by Boston
    whats the story with tutors, mine a guy named Dr anto (anthony) quin. they any use, sounds liek a good idea.
    I register for eng on thursday, is it worth going in from the start. (monday)

Tutors are great, dude. They're either lectureres or PhD students and will help you if you're having problems with ANYTHING!!! My tutor, bless her, even gave me some names and numbers to call for summer work when the term was over. Try to get on good speaking terms with them, because if the $hit ever hits the fan (which hopefully it won't), they can be good people to have in your corner.
    Go in on monday for the laugh dude, and bring some mates. Have a look around, join some clubs and societies and go for some pints in the buttery and the pav. You don't have to stay all day. Oh yeah, when you're registering, they'll take a digital photo of you for your ID card. Try not to look like something the cat dragged in, a college ID card is for the full year, not just for xmas :D You don't want to show some bird the card at the freshers ball and have her pi$$ herself laughing because your hair looks like a shredded-wheat in a thunderstorm.
    What else can I tell you? Oh yeah, bring a bib because you'll be drolling at all the minxy women. Oh yeah, when you start getting your reading lists from the lectureres (books or chapters to read), check out the students union 2nd hand book shop because you can get some good deals in there.
    And a final note, don't worry about them all being posho's. Granted, there are a good few of 'em in there, but the majority of people are sound as a pound. You'll hear the posh one's a mile off cuz they'll be spouting shyte at 40 decibels.
    But most importantly, have fun. I've had a decent summer, but I'm actually looking forward to going back (into 2nd year). Its great craic.:cool:

i'm there to learn, not for the women, ha who am i kidding :p. I ike the idea of tutors helping with summer work, found that very hard to get this year, and what with trinity stayign open untill mid june, it will be even harder. I'm definitly check out the student union book shop, where about is it. Any clubs and soc i should avoid. Before i started this thread i wasn't all that excited about trinity, now i can't wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Originally posted by Boston
    i'm there to learn, not for the women, ha who am i kidding :p. I ike the idea of tutors helping with summer work, found that very hard to get this year, and what with trinity stayign open untill mid june, it will be even harder. I'm definitly check out the student union book shop, where about is it. Any clubs and soc i should avoid. Before i started this thread i wasn't all that excited about trinity, now i can't wait

Students union book shop is really easy to find. Its in a building called house 6. To find it, walk through the main arch of trinity (so you're at the entrance to the main square) and turn left. There will be an open door on your left now, its in there, up the first flight of stairs. On freshers week, they'll have arrows and posters labelling everything. If in doubt, just check out yer map that you got with the orientation pack (I think?) and look for House 6. Get there early when you get yer reading list and see if you can find the stuff you need. You won't need to get every book though, so don't go on a mad spending spree. Just buy some of the more important books that you might be using for more than one year, and then photocopy all the other $hit in the library.

Clubs and Societies to avoid....erm....dunno really. I'm a member of the Judo club (which is great) and shall be working on the Trinity FM radio station on freshers week. Dunno about the others really. Depends on your living arrangements, I guess. A lot of the socs like the Phil and the Hist (Philosophy and Historical societies respectively) run things later in the evening and at night, so unless you have somewhere you can stay for the night in dublin, I woudn't really bother. But hear them all out, you might see something you like. I also recommend the SciFi club or movie club, because they show movies in the college during the year for a fraction of what they cost in the cinema's or video stores ('bout 2 yoyo's a film). You'd be amazed at what you can get cheap in college. On that note, if you're living on a budget in college, I recommend going into the Dining Hall above the buttery resturaunt for lunch (the big museum looking building up the steps beside the buttery). You can get a big lunch (good food) and a desert for about 4 euros there, which is great value. Its also a nice place to eat, long wooden tables and paintings and stuff. Like eating in a castle or something.

Thats why I recommend going in on freshers week and exploring. That way, you'll find the shortcuts to various places (useful for mornings that are pi$$ing rain) and find out where to get various things (like the bookstore, the dining hall etc.).

Anyone else have any nuggets of info that I've forgotten? Oh yeah, here's one - if you're too lazy to go back to your house for a shower, go to the Luce Hall gym and take on there instead. They're on the 1st floor, to the left of the reception desk.

Tutors also come in really handy if you don't do your course work or miss exams. I know lots of people who told their tutors some woeful stories and the tutor just helps them out by telling the lecturer and so on. That said there are some tutors that just can't be arsed doing anything for you, but hopefully your man won't be like that.

The student union bookshop is on the first or second floor of house 6, thats the same place as the student union and the shop at front arch.

I'd avoid st. vincent de paul even though its free to join cos they send you loads of spam email (easy enough to unsubscribe if you accidentally get conned into it) - unless you're into voluntary work that is. The hist and the phil annoyed me as well by being very pushy and irritating when i first met them, i joined in first year and never again. But it depends on what you like to do, if you're into computers and the internet and stuff then <plug> join netsoc as they give you loads of storage space, a webpage, and they've lots of nerdy events </plug>

I'd say the best thing on your first walk through front arch on fresher's week is not to join anything. Listen and then go away and think about it. They'll all be looking for a few euros membership fee which they can then use to get more grants from the college (it's a good system but socs like Phil, Hist and Lawsoc abuse it). If you give all these groups a few euros you'll be quickly out of drinking money.

So remember listen, take any free stuff and tell them you'll think about it. And then later that day over a pint think about which clubs/socs you'll actually go to. Then go back and volunteer your cash. (Put the recruiters though another spiel if you wish! - they really like saying things 10,000 times a day :D)

After that find another entrance for the week or keep your head down and ignore everyone, just like you would on the street outside.

I planned on joining the Judo club, did it for a year in school awhile back, it was great fun, painfull but fun. And the legendary netsoc club as well. So far i've Judo, rifle,netsoc, and movie club lined up. I don't know if i'll have the time for all those, what with engineering being pretty time consuming. Thanks for the advise on where to eat, i'll need that as theres no way i'm heading hoem for lunch,

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

They've actually moved the old front arch gauntlet down to around front square. No where near as much fun as it used to be, although it's probably no where near as intimidating for the freshers or for the tourists.

Obviously netsoc, ahem, is a good society to join, but a few of the slightly unusual ones are well worth joining. Jazz and Juggling are great. I also enjoyed Photography and Filmmakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭fiachs

Right,

I was a first year engineer this year in Trinity, so I'll give you the info...

Chemistry and Physics PreCourses are the biggest waste of time in the world. They don't bear any relation to what you're going to be covering, because they're mainly geared to the science people, and you're going to be doing chemistry and physics with a different emphasis. The only good thing about them is that you get to know a couple of people from your course...

Think about joining the engineering society. They have lockers up in the main engineering building (The museum building) which are reserved for 1st year engineering students. They also run cheap trips to the country, and the engineering ball which is a good laugh.

Go on the library tour! May seem like a waste of time, but when it comes to your first journey into the library, it's handy to know what books you can take out etc.

Drop by the SU stands. They'll give you the SU YearBook. With an intro to the union, the people in the union, and a run down on most things in the college. (You'll also get to see a picture of me! Joy...) Think about becoming a Union Class Rep, looks good on a CV, gets you talking with your lecturers (can only be a good thing when it comes to the end of the year) and make sure and start working on 1E2 and 1E6 from the start of the year, because they're going to be the hardest tests that you'll do. Emmmm, do the assignments in 1E1 and 1E2, questions on exam the same... do your lab writeups for chem and phys, worth a good amount for the end of the year.

Go in for freshers week! It's a good laugh with plenty going on. Anything else...?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Notes on freshers in trinity: don't worry your poor head. :) It will all sort itself out. Just walk around and talk to total strangers and it will all fall together :)

On Clubs and Socs... Join them all and figure out which ones to stay active in and join next year ;)

On DUSAC (Sub-Aqua Club), the stand wasn't there till the last day of freshers last year but don't worry. Get there early. There is only 32 places for newbies and 16 for those with previous experience. it costs 140 yo yos and alittle more after for gear... its worth it. By far teh best society/club i am a part of. I did some excellent diving with DUSAC last year.

On NETSOC. JOIN US!!! We are the nerds JOIN US!!! hehe.. ;)
    Its fun really. Alot of blank discs with stuff that shouldn't be burned with out legal permission bopping around ;)... I'll be on the NETSOC stand with lollies for peeps to join this freshers week. You can notice the dreads and then it be me.

I do alot of photography and found the photography society excellent. I later joined Trinity News and it was great to actually get photos published.

Basically do it all and marginalise it as time goes by. Try to go to all the first meetings of your societies and clubs. You will learn fast which ones you are interested in and which your not. Whats 2 euro anyway :) when most societies run launch nights and events in the first term ;)

On The Chemistry thing(assuming your doing SCience). Pick it. YOu would limit yourself too much in your course if you avoided Chemistry. If you aren't too into it you can drop it in 2nd year anyway... Even though you haven't done Chemistry before I promise you it will be like you started from scratch with everyone in college. Even if you got an A1 in physics i don't think that you will know any of the material in physics past the 3rd week

GOod luck and if u want help just ask any loon in freshers. The best advice on asking for advice is avoid those in arts as u are a science student(stick to science societies for aid then ;) )

Thanks lads, i did applied maths as well as physics, and from what a read, physics engineering at trinity looks allot liek apllied maths, so big bonus there. Thing about joing all these clubs, and sub aqua looks great, is when are the events held. IS like during offical time off or what? liek at chrismas or the summer?

• Advertisement

Sweet - the applied math is really going to come in handy, in physics, engineering science and math. now I'm jealous...

society events are generally in the evenings, and weekends. so they will come between you and your course work. but course work can always be done later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

i still havent got my orientation pack from trinity yet!!!! Is this because i got offered the place in the second round of offers? :confused:

yes. What are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

law. i was VERY lucky it dropped 20 points in the second round i was sure i wouldn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Anyone have any idea how much I should bring for joining societies? am starting Science, any one else?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

most societies are only 2euros

netsoc is one of teh cheapest ONLY 1 EURO!!!!

goto tcd.ie and find your way to clubs and societies and you will get an idea.

I had 20 euro for membership fees and that was all i needed

Example:
    Hist
    Phil
    Jazz Soc
    Netsoc
    A MArtial Art
    Climbing Club
    Surf Club
    MAths Soc
    A political party
    Total = 16 approx
    + 140 euro for the sub-aqua (but thats an investment in your future, SCUBA always gets u the job when your in an interview. All they end up talking to you about is your diving ;) tell that to mammy and daddy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

Be very wary of IE2. Having physics and applied maths under your belt will be such a bonus for the rest of the course. lots of free drink will be around for freshers, be sure and find it. Your chemistry orientation will instruct you on how not to act the spa, and you get to hear how many stitches some guy got once. Precious drinking time wasted. I suppose you can sort out what chemistry group you want to be in, so all you have to do is dupe somebody sound into a) going and b) signing you into their group. The Tae Kwon Do soc is cool. Netsoc could be useful, I never bothered. Its your money, all these small off beat little groups only want 1 or 2 euro, but there's a LOT of them, so save up for a eurosaver meal or something instead. If you dont have a place to crash in in town sort one out now, its really important, when does freshers start anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

my two cents coming right up...

Hist(orical soc.) - self-important tosspots

Phil(osophical soc.) - equally self-important tosspots

Rifle club - go for the first meeting; free Dutch, Druids & Bag 'o' Chips in an underground bunker. Then never see them again until next year. Tosspots.

Dance - tosspots. decent teacher tho (last year anyway), good skill to have. top birds.

Boxing - decent. Good coach, ok people; full of maths types sick of being bullied. Birds, too!

Judo - Supposedly ok according to a pal.

Metaphysical - worse than the sum of the first two.

Maths - EUR2 for some doughnuts.

Netsoc - EUR2 for some nerds with no doughnuts.

Anything political - I'd much rather pluck my nose hairs

Anything to do with the student union - don't get me started.

For two consecutive years I've also joined karting, snowsoc & swimming and never showed up. Snowsoc seem like a decent bunch from the emails though.

ah I'm sure you'll figure it out.

RC

• Advertisement

Nah - you're thinking of the wrong thing Saik, the chem thing that you're thinking of happens at the start of the term, and it's important to go to that. But what Boston is asking about is the pre courses for people who haven't done chem before. And they're a waste of time.

Yeah - 1E2 seems easy at the start. But you soon learn differently.

And there's nothing wrong with the union that a lack of apathy wouldn't cure.

Advertisement