Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Car in the U.K.

Options
  • 01-09-2003 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi

I have been looking at used cars on the various websites. I notice that the used cars are much better spec'd coming from U.K.

Is it financially advisable to purchase in the U.K. from Ireland. I understand there is V.R.T. but what is the reality of doing this.

Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Yes you will get a better spec'd car, but I reckon that you would not save much money by importing.

With all the used cars currently on the Irish market, surely you are spoiled for choice ...... and in a good position to drive a hard bargain with some car salesperson !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I would echo Silvera's comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EdBall

I agree that the choice in Ireland is better that it has been for years.

I don't mind spending a little extra if I can get a better spec car.

The biggest downside of importing cars from the U.K. is the VRT tax.

This tax is calculated as a % of the "open market sales price". Who determines this sales price, is it the industry. Where can I find these open market sales prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BRIANP

If you ring any VRT Office with the make and model, year and mileage of the car you are interested in, they will tell you exactly how much you will need to pay to clear it. You will make savings on the more common brands e.g Mondeo, Vectra. A friend imported a 2000 VW Passat estate, with all the extras and reckons he saved approx 2800 euro. There is all the hassle of arranging money transfers, ferry tickets, insurance and viewing the car, but it can be worth it. Also UK cars do not have their suspension hammered to bits on their smooth Irish built roads ???.

Advertisement