Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word log file

Options
  • 01-09-2003 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I'm having trouble with word :cool: :p
    Everytime I run it I get this error,
    WINWORD.EXE has generated errors and will be closed by
    Windows. You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created.
    So does anyone know where this log file is?? I can't find it. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Office a number of time at this stage and the problem persists. If anyone has any ideas on that aswell I'd be greatful. It works fine in safe mode so presumably it's something third party. I generally get the error just after the help guy (paperclip thing we all hate!) appears. Maybe that'll help??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not a helpful bloke

This is how to turn off DeBugger in NT4
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug]
    "UserDebuggerHotKey"=dword:00000000
    "Debugger"="drwtsn32 -p %ld -e %ld -g"
    "Auto"="0"

=============================
    Which OS, Which Office , which SP ...

Renaming Normal.DOT solves so many problems it's worth a try.

If ok in safe mode - check Video / Printer drivers.
    eg: change resoultoin / font size
    choose a different printer (eg: install a dummy one)

==============================

Reinstalling office reinherits the settings (and many problems)

for office 97 it was so bad there was an M$ utility ERASE97.EXE to delete the settings and files....(it trashes other m$ programs due to linked common files etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I havn't tried all that yet. After lunch though.
    Info:
    Win2k Sp4,
    Office2k Upgrade with no service packs.
    Office 95 Pro 7.0 as base install.

Never come across normal.DOT before. What's that??
    Reinheriting problems is sooooo annoying, I've reinstalled several times already. I've used similar erasing utilities for office2k. They have them for both CD1 and CD2!
    Is there a similar utility for office 95?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Normal.dot is the base blank page template for word and excel.

A large majority of winword.exe errors are because of a corrupt normal.dot.

do a search for normal.dot and delete anything you find. The next time you start Word normal.dot will be recreated in all of it's corruptable glory :)

renaming does the same thing.

Well I tried deleting all instances of normal.dot but that didn't work :(
    I turned off the auto debugger and I now get the error as,

The instruction at "0x606124e3" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read"

It obviously doesn't run this instruction in safe mode. Does anyone know a way I can find out what it is??

The changing of display resolutions and colour depth didn't have any effect and I'm now removing my printer to see what that does. Update shortly :)

Capt'n Midnight, I bow to your superior (sp?) knowledge of the Windows OS.
    Having uninstalled my printer software I now have a fully functional MS Word :)
    Mucho Gracias :)
    And thank you aswell :p
    Now I can go back and reinstall all the useful software I removed to get this rubbish piece to work!! :rolleyes:
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement