Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth - Damnation....utter ****e!

Options
  • 01-09-2003 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

just bought this in the sound cellar today for a whopping 23 euro, and after falling in love with both Morningrise and Blackwater Park i was incredibly dissapointed. absolutley nothing stood out bar the drumming (real jazzy at points :P )

still why wasnt i warned? how about its "Sister album" Deliverance? just as bad?

yes i can understand that a band wants to move on as musicians and do different styles but this is not noteworthy in whatever style theyre trying to achieve.

btw is it just me or is this aimed at female listeners? no proof or anything i cant put my finger on it i dunno why i get that impression

what d'y'all think anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Heh you were warned, i remember telling thats the album was different from there other stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Originally posted by nesthead
    just bought this in the sound cellar today for a whopping 23 euro, and after falling in love with both Morningrise and Blackwater Park i was incredibly dissapointed. absolutley nothing stood out bar the drumming (real jazzy at points :P )

still why wasnt i warned? how about its "Sister album" Deliverance? just as bad?

yes i can understand that a band wants to move on as musicians and do different styles but this is not noteworthy in whatever style theyre trying to achieve.

btw is it just me or is this aimed at female listeners? no proof or anything i cant put my finger on it i dunno why i get that impression

what d'y'all think anyway?

stop being a pussy and admit that damnation is a MASTERPIECE.
    you cant honestly say you like Opeth and not this little gem(in case you dont know,Opeth are about dynamics,not screaming as loud as they can).

Morningrise is genius(although the drums get a little annoying at times)
    Blackwater Park was a defining moment for them,as is the albums Damnation and Deliverance.
    Personally i think Damnation is the best Album i have bought this year(although it's a close one between that and cephalic carnage - lucid interval :) )

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I think Damnation is pure class. It's something different yet its very good. Nothing like what they were doing before. You can't help but sit down and drink a few beers and listen to it I find.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

not bought any dredg yet ruaidhri? :D

yeah damnation is a great album, I ph00kin luvvit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's definetly an album that splits opinions straight down the middle. But in all fairness, art is controvertial is it not? Personally I think it is a masterpeice that rivals even the great Eric Clapton. As Ruaidrhi said, Opeth aren't about screaming, and they never really were. In fairness if you were ever a fan of Morningrise and Blackwater Park you should've been prepared for Opeth throwing the proverbial curveball.

Seriously, you're entitled to your opinion, but what's the real difference between the songs on Damnation and songs like To Bid You Fairwell, or Harvest. Or do you just see those songs as fillers? Just to have a quiet before the storm? If that's the case, then you've totally and completely missed the point of Opeth altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

maybe it was just first day of new album syndrome, i am kinda getting into it now.... but i still dont find it as compelling as the other two i have. its not i wanted to hear screaming and stuff... i just thought it was great they way they were able to put both goddamn heavy and beautiful light pieces together and make it all work so amazingly well. i was actually not surprised at all at what was on this album yesterday when i thought about what Opeth were like. But the female thing still stands. :P

what should be next on my shopping list anyway? My Arms, Your Hearse, Orchid, ........? or maybe go for other kinda avant gard band.... The Provenance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well ***, I never expect to like an album instantly. When I first got Blackwater Park, it was left sitting on my shelf for a month before I started to get into it. From then on, it just seemed to get better with each listen.

If you're looking for reconmendations, I say go with Farmakon's album, A Warm Glipse. If you like Opeth, you should be open minded enough to Appreciate them, although they mix their frantic Metal with soft Jazzy interludes, very nice indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    ..Well ***, I never expect to like an album instantly. When I first got Blackwater Park, it was left sitting on my shelf for a month before I started to get into it. From then on, it just seemed to get better with each listen.

.If you're looking for reconmendations, I say go with Farmakon's album, A Warm Glipse. If you like Opeth, you should be open minded enough to Appreciate them, although they mix their frantic Metal with soft Jazzy interludes, very nice indeed.

well said ...,every opeth album is difficult to like immediately ,it usually takes about 3-4 listens before you really apreciate them.Damation especially, because it is unlike anything opeth has released

ephel duath also has those jazzy interludes,painters pallette is pretty excellent record.

are Pain of salvation any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I think it's amazing... And it's an album i've played to people who wouldn't go near any of Opeth's heavy stuff and they've all loved it. It's a beautiful album.

I've been listening to it as much as i'd listen to Blackwater Park and I like it every bit as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I love the thing. Lots.
    It didnt take me time to get to like it, I'm a big jazz fan in general.. And I though Harvest was one of their best works ever, and when I heard this it kinda felt like a more varied and experimental album full of it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

originally posted by triv88
    every opeth album is difficult to like immediately ,it usually takes about 3-4 listens before you really apreciate them.Damation especially, because it is unlike anything opeth has released

this i have indeed learned!!

delete this thread already ;)

i feel like a big eejit now.... i love this album. In particular the songs Death Whispered a Lullaby and Closure stand out to me the most

Advertisement