Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gov to cut blood alcohol limit to 50 mg (Article)

• 01-09-2003 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

This from unison.ie
    DRIVERS who had drunk just one pint of beer would be over the limit under new drink-driving laws to be put to Cabinet.

Transport Minister Seamus Brennan plans to introduce a limit of 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, significantly lower than the current 80mg limit.

But he wants to wait until the furore over Health Minister Micheal Martin's proposed January 1 smoking ban dies down.

The latest proposal is likely be opposed by the country's publicans, who are already angry over the smoking ban.

Mr Brennan and Justice Minister Michael McDowell also plan to allow more breath tests on motorists by removing the onus on gardai to be satisfied a driver is drunk before requesting a breath sample.

Mr Brennan told 'The Sunday Times' that after the success of the penalty points system in reducing speed-related deaths and injuries, he wants to achieve a similar cultural shift on drink-driving.

"I need to discuss this with the Minister for Justice and with my colleagues in Government. But I am determined to go to 50mg," he said.

"There is no case for not doing it, given that most of the European Union is already there. The day of driving after one pint is gone."

Independent Kerry South TD Jackie Healy Rae, who is also a publican, said the move would not work.

"Drink is not the cause of our high road accident rate - speed is. They might as well make a law to stop fellas going to the bar altogether," he said.

I drink to this (at home).

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

About bloody time.

I always thought 80mg was a ridiculously high level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Independent Kerry South TD Jackie Healy Rae, who is also a publican, said the move would not work.

"Drink is not the cause of our high road accident rate - speed is. They might as well make a law to stop fellas going to the bar altogether," he said.

In other words...

Kerry publican Jackie Tweed Cap, who is also a TD for some inexplicable reason, as well as a part-time gondola-fader, said it was a crock of shite.

"There's no problem with the drink driving, especially if your pub is in the country," he said, twisting his tweed cap in his hands. "It's the schpeed the hoores drive when they've had a few that's the real problem, bucko. Those teedees in the gum'ment can feck off, I'll be telling you"

His psychiatrist was unavailable for comment. Mr Tweed Cap's comments in favour of only allowing fit young chicks into pubs has been greeted with some amazement in government circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Remind me of the NRA slogan.....

Drunk drivers don't kill people, their cars do.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Independent Kerry South TD Jackie Healy Rae, who is also a publican, said the move would not work. "Drink is not the cause of our high road accident rate - speed is. They might as well make a law to stop fellas going to the bar altogether," he said.
    Sorry Mr. Dopey TD drink is one of the causes of our high road accident rate. Speed is the cause of our high road accident death rate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to drink, don't bring the car. If you bring the car, don't drink alcohol. Of course it doesn't help that soft drinks are more expensive than beer. Maybe if the government did more for the designated driver then more people would stay sober for the sake of their mates. I've heard of some pubs(not in Ireland or if they are they're few and far between) where if people are in groups, the designated driver can get a free soft drink as part of a round of alcoholic drink. That's a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

typical vested interests at play in this country...

of course it wont make a blind bit of difference if there is no-one to enforce the new limit. A few days around xmas will not suffice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

it should be zero.
    I mean why bother bringing it down from 80 to 50? It means you could only have half a pint. If you're the desigated driver does one half pint make all the difference? It just wouldn't be worth spending the money on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In Sweden its just 20mg and thats only so you don't get done the morning after having some of Aunty Freidas very moist cakes!

Mike.

I nearly got run off the road one day at Kilmoon Cross on the N2 by a gobsh1te that was rat arsed. I flashed abd beeped the horn until he pulled over and was about to get out of the car and take his keys and ring the gardai but his wife saw what was going on and he scarpered. I rang the Gardai and reported him but unfortunatly they put me through to Duleek Garda station that never seems to have anyone on duty in the station. As a result yer man could have killed someone and even though someone (me) tried to do something about it, he still got away with driving at least 5 times over the limit. Like it's been said, unless the law is enforced more the limit might as well be 150 for all the good it will do.

Originally posted by mike65
    In Sweden its just 20mg and thats only so you don't get done the morning after having some of Aunty Freidas very moist cakes!

Mike.

Sweden have an amazing road traffic policy. They are ultra strict and even the safest car in the world comes from there (Volvo). People are fined depending on their salary and if you pulled off some of the manouvers you could do in front of a Garda here, you'd lose your license for 6 months and have to sit your test again before you're allowed back in the car. The result is that Sweden have some of the lowest accidents rates in the world and their car insurance reflects that. Ok, they also have the highest Income Tax in Europe but they also have the facilities to prove it.

• Advertisement

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/1507543?view=Eircomnet
    Zero alcohol plan for L-drivers
    Wednesday, 17th September, 2003

A PROPOSAL by the Eastern Regional Health Authority to introduce a zero blood alcohol level for learner drivers is being considered by the Department of Transport.

A spokesman said they would consider all proposals for road safety.

The health authority has backed the plan for a total drinking ban for provisional drivers, the Irish Medical Times reported.
    How about zero for everyone?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've heard of one company do where the the Guards stopped the bus the lad's were heading home in and took exception to the abuse they got. True the the Guards could nothing because they were passengers.

Next morning a lot of them got done for drink driving at the checkpoint near there office...

If you are rat-arsed at 2am - you won't be fully alert at 8am.
    But that is the nice thing about cars - if you have good brakes and your belt on and an airbag and you are only doing 30 then no one gets killed (ok no one inside your car but that's the same thing really)

Not the thread = but don't they have curfews on young drivers in other countries on weekend - the idea being you can drive to / from work etc but if you get caught drink driving at weekends you are in really deep doggy dudu...

Remember most people in this country do not own a car or know how to drive and so drink driving is an unfair risk to them. It's like windscale, there is no benefit to the Irish population so why should we have to put up with that risk.

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    If you are rat-arsed at 2am - you won't be fully alert at 8am.
    But that is the nice thing about cars - if you have good brakes and your belt on and an airbag and you are only doing 30 then no one gets killed (ok no one inside your car but that's the same thing really)
    For those missing the irony, about 60% of those killed on the roads so far this year are not car drivers.

Advertisement