Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compaq IPAQ and Nokia 6610...

• 01-09-2003 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hey all,

Does anyone know where i can find software to allow the ipaq to communicate with the 6610. It detects it via the infrared but just hangs there and does nothing else (obviously because it has no software).

Also does anyone know how to connect to the 6610 as a modem for net connections... Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Them ould 6610`s, i`d be weary of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

re:
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,3402,00.html
    Support Guide for the Nokia 6610 Phone with an Infrared Data Connection in a Pocket PC Device

You create a new Connection on the Pocket PC based on the "Generic IrDA Modem", and make sure Infrared is activated on the phone.

The specific details you enter into the Connection will depend on which Operaror / ISP you are trying to connect to and the type of connection you want to use (CSD Dial-Up / HSCSD Dial-Up / GPRS).

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Anyone ever have problems connecting to a 6610?
    It connects ok but when i try to dial on either my laptop via IRDA or from the PDA i get a beeping sound. Any ideas?

Thanks for the link btw :o)

don't have a 6610 handy at the mo - might be able to try it tomorrow evening though

what are the Conneciton settings/entries you have tapped into the iPAQ to make the connection?

and what dial-up/gprs service are you trying to connect to?

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

I contacted o2. They say i need to use specific GPRS settings, etc... or if i don't use GPRS then i need to activate something else on my phone.

They gave me various numbers and init strings to use so i'll try them later and post them here if they work :o)

• Advertisement

yup - you need enter specific details depending on the operator and the type of connection you are using

basically you need to set-up the modem in the phone for the type of call to make (e.g. GPRS/Dial-UP that's what the init string is for) and then the details of the connection (like with a connection to an ISP e.g. username/password, dns)

there are applications for the Pocket PC like connect2internet that try and do this all for you (but you can diy with all the settings / instructions etc to hand):
    http://www.2kdevelopment.com/dynamic/supportno/support_no.html

hope you get up and running (and keep an eye on your GPRS usage - especially when using a laptop - you pay for every KB sent and received (outside any monthly allowance))

here's two portals for PDA/Mobile friendly sites I use, saves KBs and easier to use with a PDA's interface:
    http://pdaportal.us
    http://www.mazingo.net/mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

GPRS Internet Configuration for Pocket PC Devices.

1. Select Start and then Select Settings. This will bring up the window

2. Select Connections, Modem and then New Connection… as in F

3. Enter a name for your GPRS connection. For example, GPRS.

4. Select among the options of “Select a modem”: Generic IrDA Modem.

5. Select baud Rate: 57600

6. Click on the Advanced… button. Ensure all settings are as per

7. Click on the TCP/IP window. Ensure all of the settings are as

8. Click on the Name Servers window. This will bring up the window

9. Click on the Use specific server address (DNS) insert a DNS from your Service Provider.
    For DOL Internet Services, these settings are:
    DNS 62.40.32.33
    Alt DNS 62.40.32.34
    You can leave the WINS and Alt WINS blank. See Fig 7 below.

Fig 7.
    10. Click OK to return to the Window in Fig 3 above.

11. . Select Next. This will bring up the window as in Fig 8. Leave country and area code blank. In the Phone Number field, enter *99# (Star 99 Hash)

Given that your PDA or Laptop computer has the potential to be always on line you may want to limit the types or amount of information which is sent through to your device. There are two types of connections which you can configure when connecting to the Internet, basic 'Internet' access or full 'Open Internet' access. The following settings do not apply to your pre-configured WAP settings on your phone.

Internet
    When configuring a basic Internet connection it will allow you to send & receive information such as e-mail, web browsing, ftp, telnet, streaming video etc which has been initiated by your device connecting to these services. This configuration will screen for any unwanted traffic coming back to your device which you have not requested.

Open Internet
    By selecting this option you will be able to access all services available on the Internet. Applications & services which you have initiated from your device as well as other Internet based services destined to your device will be received allowing you unrestricted access to the world wide web.

12. Select Next
    - In Extra Dialling String Modem Commands insert:
    +cgdcont=1,”IP”,”APN” where APN is the Access Point Name of the Network you are using. e.g. for DOL this corresponds to internet.

The string to be entered for DOL Internet Service is:
    +cgdcont=1,”IP”,”internet”

13. Select Finish. This will bring you back to the menu Settings (Fig 2). Click at the bottom left on Connections.
    14. Select GPRS or the name of the Dialup you chose. Once you have entered the window “Connect to” select Dialling Options

15. Create a new Location by clicking on New. Use a descriptive name e.g “Mobile GPRS”

16. Click on Dialling Patterns.

17. Be sure that in the fields: Local calls, Long distance calls and International calls only “G” is selected.

18. Press OK to return to Dialling Options screen.

19. Press OK to return to Connect To screen.

20. Activate the IrDA port on the GPRS phone and place it in visibility to the Pocket PC

21. Select Connect on the Pocket PC screen.

22. When you have a successful connection, the display on the phone will show an IP address and/or “GPRS Data Session”.

23. Once connected, select ”Hide State” and then open your application such as Internet Explorer.

Advertisement