Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ul

• 01-09-2003 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Anybody here starting in UL this year?

Ive got my place but have gotten nothing from UL apart from a form re accomodation on campus.

Anybody in the same boat here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

i don't know when you'll be getting the information pack, prob this week but maybe you should ring ul and ask cos we had hassle getting info last year before starting our postgrad

orientation is the week of the 15th but different courses start different days. lectures are starting the 22nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Agent7249

What course are you doing klong, I got an info pack and an orientatino weekthing that says it starts on the 6th of sept to the 12th

i know i could be wrong but i really dont think orientation is on next week. according to the academic calandar it starts the 15th.

also graduations are on next week so the concert hall wont be available neither will the hall they use for IDs and it wouldnt be ideal to have hoards of new, lost people wandering around the place.

enjoy ul when ye get there! best five years of my life! only four weeks left for me now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

I started in UL last year and I didn't get anything from them until less than a week before start-date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Crisis over- got tons of info today
    Im doing HPSS, orientation for me is 17th and 18th, starting 22nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

lol..got mine yday too :)

I know of two ppl doing HPSS down here on the Access Course atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Got a big wad of stuff from them yesterday. I'm starting Comp Systems. It should be great fun. Anyone else doing this course?? See you down there

Comp Sys here rmacm.

down for Wednesday and thursday. not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hey Kaimera

See you down there. Looks like they've got a load of stuff organised Wedensday and Thursday night. It should be fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hmmm, you two could well be in my comp sys orientation group on Wednesday. If your guide is sarcastic it's probably me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by rmacm
    Got a big wad of stuff from them yesterday. I'm starting Comp Systems. It should be great fun. Anyone else doing this course?? See you down there

I believe that this has whittled down to 50 odd students this year. Is this true?

That's about a quarter of the amount when I was there.

Originally posted by sceptre
    Hmmm, you two could well be in my comp sys orientation group on Wednesday. If your guide is sarcastic it's probably me:D

I'll be the guy with the Laois jersey ;)

50 would be a grand number. wasn't there 100+ in the course before?

The official figure I have so far is 70. Depends on how many of those actually show up I suppose:D but there are 70 accepted offers so far.

Last year it was about 100 from what I know. We've had a few dropouts and transfers out (get them every year obviously), I know one who's switched to a BBS instead and is probably better off.

AFAIK the 2001 intake was close to 200 students with almost a 50% dropout rate after year one that year. Of course in 2001 the IT industry was still looking relatively OK and lots of mammies probably encouraged people to go into it.

I could care less from my own POV obviously. Smaller intake means less competition for graduate jobs in 2006 for me (and 2007 for the noobs)
    Originally posted by Kaimera
    I'll be the guy with the Laois jersey
    I'll be the guy with the Orientation Week 2003 tee-shirt (not much help now is that:D). Four girls, five fellas doing guide for comp sys. All nine of us are actually doing the course (at least based on my guide list) so at least that might be useful.

Annoyingly, you guys aren't being registered till 15:00. I'll try to have almost all of the tour done by 11:30:D

missed you sceptre.

was in the first group with Aileen. only a hour n a half in the enrolement line ;)

Originally posted by Kaimera
    only a hour n a half in the enrolement line ;)
    :D

I had my freshers enrolled in ten minutes flat today (I skipped the queue). Tour over by 11:30, coffee, lunch and a nice sociable sit down in the sports bar for the next three hours. Course they were all postgrad girls, mostly from foreign parts, so I made an extra special effort:). Incredibly nice people (they hopefully thought I was entertaining if nothing else), fused as a group, job done.

I didn't have a group yesterday in the end (I was assigned a nice cushy sit down job for the day). Fewer comp sys students turned up than expected so the numbers could well be rather less than my figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by sceptre
    :D
    Fewer comp sys students turned up than expected so the numbers could well be rather less than my figure.

The figure of 53 was mentioned to my friends da at his graduation last week. I presume it was by a lecturer or somebody in the know, not sure though.

There could be more I guess with repeats and transfers etc.

Advertisement