Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PoKéMoN

Options
  • 01-09-2003 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the pokemon games? I mean i know the most of us are mature Gamers and the PoKéMoN label is aimed at young'uns but i dont think that there's any denying pokemon red and blue were decent games.

Diglett-dig-diglett-dig....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

one of the most addictive games i ever played, didnt really play any since red/blue though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yea, neither did i... Seemed a lot harder to go buy the sequel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

dammit yellow stole a month from my life PIIIIKKKKAAAAAA!!!!! i used to love it when pikachu died and cried "chhaaaaaa!!!!" or someting along the lines of that. actually started playin it a couple of months ago again. still had some appeal amazingly............. how sad. anyoe know what the ruby and saphire ones are like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The Ruby one is very good plenty to keep you going, my only gripe is that its too easy i ahve a couple of pokemon around the level 36 mark and they kick the ass of anything that comes up against them and then grow more so they stay ahead of the others. But iv barly scratched the surface of the game (about 20 hours clocked up)

I don't think difficulty was ever part of the pokemon equation...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found pokemon yellow way more difficult than red and blue. Great games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I got Pokemon Red when it originally came out in America in 1998 and just became hooked. However, what followed was a heap of crap; merchandise, Pokemon TV, Pokemon Yellow etc. The card game was very good actually, but expensive in the long run. While it was a large goldmine for Nintendo, behind everything else was a very solid game. Now that the Pokecraze has died down, I recommend these games to anybody who hasn't played them.

Now I wish Nintendo would ask Game Freak to make a fully 3D Pokemon RPG for the Gamecube. That would be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Ruby and Sapphire are great. Bear in mind when I say great, Imean "horrible life-sucking things". They're more compulsive than fun, but quite rewarding at times, and definetely value for money - I can easily see myself clocking up 100 hours on this.

They're essentially the same as previous versions, but the number of small changes here and there make it a far better experience. For example, as far as I'm aware there aren't any crap "filler" Pokémon - with proper training and the right tactics anything you catch has potential to be a formidible monster, which is certainly good. Stat-modifying moves are also far more useful. There's also tons to do after beating the Pokemon League, so playing on just to level up and up isn't stupifyingly tedious anymore. Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Silver was the first gameboy game I ever played - they're still in the best games for GBC/A/SP.

I liked that you could play it in 5-10 min bursts too - but man did it eat up the hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i thought i'd check out pokemon red last night to see what all the fuss was about, god dammit this is one of the most addictive games i've ever played!
    how is pokemon blue different to red?
    when do i get to use pokemon that are over level 30?
    why can't i stop playing it???

/me breaks down in tears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i have pokemon blue and silver and there addictive all right.

In response to whats the difference between red and blue: theres certain pokemon u can get on blue that u can get on red and visaversa. The idea is to trade with some1 u know so u can get all 250 all though u need game shark to get MEW.

After u beet 1 of the gym leaders u can use pokemon over the level of 30 i beleive this is to stop u getting a realy good monster off ur friend and beet gym trainers and leaders too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Big Ears
    all though u need game shark to get MEW.
    Nah dont need Gameshark, you can get him in Tournaments and whatnot, I got one for beating Dave in Belfast, then another one in a tournament in a Shopping Center, so I had 2 mew's........ hes a pretty pants pokemon tho, his stats are average, but his move's are pants, hes not great with most of the TMs you give him either.

What Ive heard of ruby/sapphire is that its inhumanely addictive, a fried of mine got it, and within 3 weeks he already had the full 255hours in it (the timer doesnt go up anymore)......... this is the same person who has abou 150 level 100's tho (every single final evoloution from red,blue, gold + silver..... even the cr*p ones, he must have over 3000 hours of Pokemon in total played).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Pokemon was great in its time. Used to have link battles and everything.

I stopped playing them after silver/gold, but Ive seen the new ruby and sapphire, they look quite good.

So I might invest in a Gameboy Advance SP...

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Pokemon blue or red for the GB colour, at the time, was about a million times better than any other game for that platform. It was my perfect bus companion for college. Must dig it out again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I used to love playing Pokemon Red/Blue. (think i played a bit of yellow, but it was a balls getting past brock with pikachu).

I actually found after playing the games that I was watching the tv show and thinking "oh my god ash, is such a muppet. Wrong strategy wrong strategy! No don't use pikachu against him!".

Must get a gameboy emulator and pokemon red/blue rom and start playing again. (don't have access to my brother's real gameboy any more).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

yes they are quite enjoyable..

the two player link option is good too..

train your best pokemon and bring them to a mates gaff and battle 'em out

ninty have earned over 4 billion from the franchaise :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    I actually found after playing the games that I was watching the tv show and thinking "oh my god ash, is such a muppet. Wrong strategy wrong strategy! No don't use pikachu against him!".

Tragically, I did this too. It annoys me how much I got annoyed at Ash's ineptness.

Im suprised no1s said the reply to my

Diglett-Dig-Diglett-Dig! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'm trying to resist saying 'Trio trio trio'.

I shouldn't know that :(

Red/Blue rocked. I got a gameboy pretty much just for them.

Originally posted by DRakE
    Red/Blue rocked. I got a gameboy pretty much just for them.
    Get zelda: Links Awakening
    Its another amasing GB game, you wont regret buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Played Blue and I have to say, it's was very good. I'm not mad about these rpg type games but i actually liked this one.

Btw if there's anyone out there still playing the Red and blue games there's a glitch in the game which allows you to get Mew without a gameshark. Pm me if you want to know how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I enjoyed the Pokemon series such as Red/blue/ yellow gold and so on, but is the new one worth buying a GBA for? or am i better off getting 3 xbox games?

This is from what I have heard so far:
    Its 1000% what gold/silver is, it has a LOT more things in it, 200 pokemon in it, almost all new (cant trade with silver/gold pokemon either, so no mewtwo and whatnot), 5legendary pokemon, alot of which are VERY hard to catch. It has enough sub games to keep you occupied for a month at least (planting berries, beuty ctounaments etc).

Dont buy this game unless you have at least 2months to spare....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Its 1000% what gold/silver is, it has a LOT more things in it

Yeah, I mean, it is a sequel. Yet still to this day my memories rest with the originals.
    Gold and Silver were also great, they weren't much different to Pokemon Red/Blue, it just has a heap load of new stuff.
    I enjoyed the Pokemon series such as Red/blue/ yellow gold and so on, but is the new one worth buying a GBA for?
    Like Gold/Silver before it, Ruby/Sapphire isn't a whole lot different to its predesessor(s), and it doesn't have as many futher additions as Pokemon Gold/Silver had. But its still a good game, its just more of the same. If you never owned Gold/Silver, it may be even better as there has been such an advancement between Red/Blue and Ruby/Sapphire.

Advertisement