Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems getting ASDL

Options
  • 01-09-2003 8:47pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m currently having problems getting ASDL…

Microsoft are paying for ASDL installation and six months with ESAT BT for something like 15 Irish journalists who write about games in some way or another, this includes me, however for one reason or another ESAT has told them a number of people can’t currently get ASDL; this also includes me.

- My local exchange (Ballina) is enabled.

- I don’t what reason was given for the problem with my phone line.

- In the past I have been told my house is well within range of the exchange; and I know it’s only something like 2km.

- I have an ISDN line (I can remember reading here this was a problem [?])

Who should I contact – Eircom (local or national) or ESAT BT?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ESAT cannot test an ISDN line for their Buiness DSL, downgrade to analogue first I am sorry to say.

(Eircom can test ISDN lines for their residential product and maybe their business packages too)

M

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Was afraid someone would say that.

Is there any way of bypassing this? Can I get Eircom check it and then use the ESAT product?

downgrade it to analogue and get ESAT to test

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by monument
    Microsoft are paying for ASDL installation ...however for one reason or another ESAT has told them a number of people can’t currently get ASDL
    A nice example to quote to politicians and others who don't appreciate how far behind we are in regard to Internet access:(

Martin Harran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i having problems geting it too

i failed the line test for adsl with everyone

and i fail the los test with ibb

might have to get isdn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Check with Eircom if you can get ADSL for starters. You can do that on their website and it should accept ISDN numbers. If that doesn't work call Eircom on 1800 503 303 to get them to check it manually. Don't mention anything about EsatBT obviously. If you have a normal phone line, try it as well. If it passes Eircom's test it's very likely to pass EsatBT's test as well. This is assuming it's an Eircom enabled exchange. My perception after having read this forum is that EsatBT is more likely to pass your line than Eircom, so it's not the end of the road if Eircom turns you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

1. Go to Eircom web site and have your line tested for Eircom's residential RADSL service (the 54 euro a month one)

2. If you fail, it may not be worth risking downgrading and finding you fail for Esat too. If you pass, downgrade to analogue and have Esat BT install your DSL line (Esat BT also use RADSL actually and it is more likely to pass than Eircom, so basically if you pass for Eircom's ADSL there should be no problems getting it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Having ISDN doesn't matter with Esat, as once you sign up and are in an enabled area, they provision the line by liasing with Eircom and the line is tested once downgraded to see if it can take the DSL service, if not no charge is incurred by the customer.

I've had to cancel an esat order of late as they were fighting it out with eircom over, this and that being on the line. At the end of the day i ordered it with eircom and got an install day 2 days later. Getting an install day or even a week from esat is impossible. We got a new account manager today ... i bitched and moaned about a few things, lets see what happens.

If esat plain say the line isn't passing there is a good change your on a seperate exchange that they have upgraded.

Afaik ballina has eircom dsl available since april.

Paul

Paul, this is Esat BT ADSL that he is getting, not Eircom's [sic] RADSL service, so it is different (be sure to read what Muck posted as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

(Esat BT also use RADSL actually and it is more likely to pass than Eircom)
    Esat BT RADSL package is just a resell of Eircom's RADSL package, they are both on the same network.

• Advertisement

Insider, that's incorrect. IOL Broadband is the same as Eircom, but Esat BT's ADSL is not. It is only available in around 40 exchanges however, including Ballina.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Insider, that's incorrect. IOL Broadband is the same as Eircom, but Esat BT's ADSL is not. It is only available in around 40 exchanges however, including Ballina.

No its not, I said RADSL not ADSL they are 2 seperate things. Esat do not offer a RADSL service off their own network.
    As for passing for Esat ADSL and then failing for Eircom's product well it is highly unlikely as the majority of failings are because of line failures which is got to do with the local loop which has nothing to do with the ASAM in the POP.

ESAT have one of the (maybe the) best Gaming Products in Ireland with ping times of 20ms and NO Cap. It is an ADSL product not a RADSL product. It is pricey but very high quality.

They correctly surmised that Microsoft are probably interested in the X-Box live business and have therefore made arrangements with Microsoft to get some Gaming Journos on to this superior ADSL product. It may mean that ESAT will package a Gamer version of the Business product and flog it in time for Christmas. Stranger things have happened, even to ESAT.

At least that probably WAS the plan until the poor Journos ran into the notoriously inept ESAT "Customer Service" department.

I would recommend to Monument that he contact the Boss who will get the minions to tell him exactly what he needs to do in order to have a chance at all.

bill.murphy@esat.com

I am sure that ESAT will pay for the downgrade to analogue, test the line, and either

1. Install ADSL if it passed
    2. Reinstall ISDN if it fails. The IOL branded RADSL BB is probably to scabby for serious online gamers. They would be better off with ISDN

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

can i ask 1 question...

what % of the 200 or so people who have signed up for DSL in Ireland are microsoft expecting to get online for gaming...

i somehow think this is a market microsoft could dominate in a matter of hours....

:rolleyes: ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if bill would be interested in buying out a certain telco............... he IS a nerd, so he might even put internet access fairly high on his list of priorities :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Gates is a nerd sure, but he's a shrewd businessman. As Bob Cringely said (Accidental Empires, p182/3):
    Gates sees the personal computer as a tool for transferring every stray dollar, deutsche mark and kopeck in the world into his pocket. Gates doesn't really give a damn how people interact with their computers as long as they pay up
    He could afford to buy Eircom, sure (and Microsoft certainly could with that 50 billion rainy day fund). No-one in their right mind would buy Eircom with its current level of debt (it's OK for the current investors, they created the current level of debt). Gates doesn't tend to invest in anything that isn't an almost guaranteed licence to print money in the long run (except for the rather quiet SCO investment in the mid-eighties, what were they thinking:D). Eircom's a short- to mid-term investment where nothing is guaranteed in the long run.

and yeah, Andrew, I know you were kinda taking the proverbial anyway:)

Advertisement