Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[SE]Tranas pop 20.000 - 90% of pop have 100 Mbits/sec

Options
  • 01-09-2003 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

The local authorities in Tranas (Sweden) started to install fibre to the home in 1995 as a community project - almost like a tidy towns competition in terms of involvement of the citizens. The investment has paid for itself in financial terms and an area that was in decline is now buzzing.

Watch this video from Colm O'Callaghan.

http://www.ericsson.com/network_operators/campaign/publicethernet/tranas.asx

(If you have a slow internet connection save the file to hard disk first - it requires about 200 Mbits/sec otherwise).

zz..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

S'only a meta file sadly zz03 (like a ramfile for realmedia).
    <ASX version="3.0">
    <Entry>
    <Ref href="mms://a993.v8168d.c8168.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/993/
    8168/v001/ericssoncom.download.akamai.com/7156/gsmwc03/Broadband/tranas.wmv"/>
    </Entry>
    </ASX>

I'd load it onto one of my own servers only my wireless connection's dead as a dodo.

Anyone else supply wireless in Cork with LOS in Ballinlough? Help?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

That is a great video. Can anyone tell me how to save the file rather than stream it?
    Thanks, iwb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by iwb
    That is a great video. Can anyone tell me how to save the file rather than stream it?
    Thanks, iwb.

I have dozens of other .wmv files saved on my HD but I can't save this one - even in Mozilla (running on Win2k) - any attempt to save opens Windows Media Player and plays it.

Probably has something to do with the MMS in the URL (Microsoft Metadirectory Services)

The McDowell Bush Blair Microsoft Vodafone Control Freak Alliance to Fingerprint, Bug and Generally Terrorize the Former Free World are at it again! Perhaps Ericsson have also joined them?

zz..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I have it saved if any of you want to host it.

ASF recorder is such a wonderful piece of software.

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

How big is it?

• Advertisement

'tis only 7.19 MB (7,540,622 bytes) but I have no 24/7 server.

Can upload/email it to you.

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MoosemaN

Originally posted by zz03
    The local authorities in Tranas (Sweden) started to install fibre to the home in 1995 as a community project - almost like a tidy towns competition in terms of involvement of the citizens. The investment has paid for itself in financial terms and an area that was in decline is now buzzing.

Watch this video from Colm O'Callaghan.

http://www.ericsson.com/network_operators/campaign/publicethernet/tranas.asx

(If you have a slow internet connection save the file to hard disk first - it requires about 200 Mbits/sec otherwise).

zz..

I think you meant to say 200 kbyte/s :)

Originally posted by tribble
    I have it saved if any of you want to host it.

ASF recorder is such a wonderful piece of software.

tribble

Why not burn it on a CD and snail mail it to dahamsta?

zz..

Originally posted by MoosemaN
    I think you meant to say 200 kbyte/s :)

Quite! A late night typo (after a long day at the keyboard)

zz..

I'd do that no problem - but don't you think that thats a little ridiculous?

I mean I know we don't have 100Mbit here but come on I have 512/128 here and 34mbit in work - I can upload it in a couple of minutes :)

tribble

• Advertisement

I'd do that no problem - but don't you think that thats a little ridiculous?

Try watching a streamed movie at 512k on your PC. The quality is only average even when it is coming directly from your ISP's system.

IP is a common transport infrastructure and when you are networking a community there's no point in wasting money on something like the M50 in Dublin that keeps perhaps half the population of the area stuck in traffic needlessly for an hour or more a day.

They decided to go with 100Mbits/sec back in 1995. Today they would probably be going for gigabit ethernet if they were starting now. A handful of apartments in a building served by 100 Mbits/sec each watching a video would put pressure on 100Mbits/sec.

512k is fine for text browsing and listening to audio and your average download stuff. And then of course there is contention on DSL which doesn't help in multi-media applications.

zz..

You misunderstand zz03

If you read the thread - I offered to e-mail/ upload it.

I am not streaming it - I have it saved on my hard disk.

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MoosemaN

Just a small notice...

The latest offer in sweden now is 26mbit vdsl..

40 euros

You misunderstand zz03

If you read the thread - I offered to e-mail/ upload it.

I am not streaming it - I have it saved on my hard disk.

tribble

I read the thread and knew of your offer. Read your posting again and surely you can see how it can be interpreted as a "who needs 100 Mbits/sec when I have access to 512k etc and can download the file quickly!"

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

If you haven't already sorted out hosting you can email it to [ info at broadband4kinnegad dot com ] and I'll host it.

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Anyone else supply wireless in Cork with LOS in Ballinlough? Help?

What happened? :confused:

Advertisement