Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Email Client

Options
  • 01-09-2003 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Getting real sick of Outlook Express and dont like Outlook either. Starting to send more and more email these days so was wondering does anyone recommend a better email client then either by MS? Downloading Eudora in a minute to see whats that like but does anyone have a favourite that i dont know about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Mozilla mailnews and Thunderbird are both fairly decent... free, spam filters, robust, fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Use Eudora myself. Can't stand OE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

outlook xp with ihatespam..

ihatespam ingenius system

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

mutt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

using incredimail xe at the moment and quite happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Is there an email client around that lets you send and receive hotmail besides OE and outlook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

http://email.about.com/cs/winw2previews/gr/hotmail_popper.htm

Acts a proxy between your mail client and hotmail. Didn't realise we were allowed to recommend non-gui mailers. In which case, yes, mutt is the best :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    Is there an email client around that lets you send and receive hotmail besides OE and outlook

Incredimail xe does..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

pocomail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Eudora is excellent, though I don't think you can add Hotmail to it
    (question is, why would you want to use hotmail anyway??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

pine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I currently used the mail client bundled with Mozilla, I was using Thunderbird for awhile but found the memory usage very bad.
    But can't complain as its only v0.1 and its VERY promising indeed!

Never EVER used outlook as my proper mail client just don;t trust it.

Used to use pine for one of my old e-mail accounts but gave up on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I've changed over from Outlook to Thunderbird 0.2 and I have no complaints about it.

The adaptive junk mail feature looks very promising.

It's updated every Monday or Tuesday, you can get the latest builds from here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=29

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Eudora. Classy. Easy to easy. Free (cept for small ad window).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Originally posted by fragile
    pine

I agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

pine

Er ... it was grand when I started reading my IOL email back in '93 or '94 ..but you'd want your head examined if you are still using it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

pine

How anyone can use pine is beyond me... if you're going command line then you can't really beat mutt... I used to use Pine when I was a wee fresher in college and changed to mutt because I needed threading in my email client.

Speaking of which, are there any decent windows email clients that support mutt-like mail threading? (before you ask, no, I don't wanna use mutt for windows, I want something with a nice gui :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Mozilla Thunderbird 0.2 is just out meant to be smaller and less of a memory hog amoung others

check here for more info
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Er ... it was grand when I started reading my IOL email back in '93 or '94 ..but you'd want your head examined if you are still using it ....

Cos, my company firewall blocks NNTP traffic and the easiest way to read News is to SSH to a user account on an external server and use Pine (Google News is just too damn slow)

Anyway, since 95% of the mail I receive is in plain text format, I don't really see any advantage in using a GUI mail client....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Thunderbird 0.2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LebonIRL

Pclancy, are you the same Clancy that is Clancy and the Bucklebunnies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i give Thunderbird 0.2 the thumbs up aslo
    mozilla firebird is also a great browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

Thunderbird 0.2 aswell for day to day email.

pegasus for my website mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

I'd have to say Outlook Express is just the bee's knees!

Originally posted by Heresy
    I'd have to say Outlook Express is just the bee's knees!

I think I'm going to cry.

To the best of my knowledge the OE client on the web is a corporate standard piece of software.
    Just cuz it's microsoft and not pine or some heap of junk people love to have a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Heresy, I'm not a network admin - but as far as I know the reaction moridin gave is quite common among people who have to work with OE.

Originally posted by Heresy
    To the best of my knowledge the OE client on the web is a corporate standard piece of software.
    Just cuz it's microsoft and not pine or some heap of junk people love to have a go...

Uh uh, have you ever tried supporting it? It ****s up lots.

It's got no spam protection. It's support for multiple users is patchy at best. It's full of security holes in the same way that IE is. I just don't like the thing. At the moment at home I'm using outlook xp and that's not much better. Oh and OE isn't being developed/improved anymore...

The main mail client I use it mutt, purely cos the main email address I have is on a unix box. Need to change my crappy windows client and from what I've seen thunderbird looks like a decent alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Have you tried Pegasus?

• Advertisement

Moridin, you obviously know plenty more about this stuff than me. I've a question for ya though. How do people get your email address for the purposes of spamming? Is it sold when you give it to some dodgy newsletter thingy or whatever or can they find it when you're just using OE and still being cautious? I've never had trouble with spamming, I trust nobody on the web (bar boards.ie and a few more decent places) and it has served me quite well.

Advertisement