Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Email Client

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Every time you fill in a form requesting information or sign up to a newsletter or guarantee you get added to a list. Some companies sell their lists to other companies for fairly big money. Other ways inlclude random addresss generators that just keep pumping out mail to thousands of random addresses. Cookies have something to do with it all as well.

I'm still getting spam to my old tinet address from 6 or 7 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

Heresy, I'm not a network admin - but as far as I know the reaction moridin gave is quite common among people who have to work with OE.

You will be a network admin Pete, very soon. Just believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Heresy
    You will be a network admin Pete, very soon. Just believe...
    Thanks a bunch but I don't really have any aspirations to be a net admin.

Going back to the spam thing - Everytime I update my CV on some recruitment sites the level of spam I receive is notably increased. It's really annoying - that's just one good reason why it's good to set up a seperate email address for signing up to things like that. Alas, I'm not that organised.

Originally posted by LebonIRL
    Pclancy, are you the same Clancy that is Clancy and the Bucklebunnies?

lol! Who the hell are they and where can i buy their music?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by pclancy
    Every time you fill in a form requesting information or sign up to a newsletter or guarantee you get added to a list. Some companies sell their lists to other companies for fairly big money. Other ways inlclude random addresss generators that just keep pumping out mail to thousands of random addresses. Cookies

another thing to watch out for is html spam emails where they send you a html document and it requests stuff off a server - this can tell the people sending the mail that you've got it and read it. Get a firewall to block your email application from accessing anything over http and it should help cut that out too :D

• Advertisement

yeah thats a good one too. Since we got broadband I've found my spam has got a bit worse too. Some mails when you open them seem to send stuff out back to the sender without you asking which probably includes your email addy. Since we put in a firewall and some good AV software that stopped though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Dunno how anyone can possible recommend OE :rolleyes:

Mozilla - I highly recommend it :) It's a browser, email, and IRC client in one.
    Plus it has the advantage of being improved constantly and is massively immune to OE related problems.

Alternatively there's Thunderbird (look for it on the Mozilla page linked above). I haven't tried it, but it's the standalone email application of Mozilla, so it's bound to be great :)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

Maybe when my computer gives up the ghost due to a virus or whatever, then I'll give out about OE. Served me v. well up to now.
    Still though, I'll give Mozilla a trial run, see if I like it.

Advertisement