Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

broadband need help please

• 01-09-2003 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

hello there... i'm new to broadband and am having a bit of trouble.... does anyone out there understand all about bandwidth????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

What is it you want to know about bandwidth ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Frith

hello wheeler....
    i have broadband about 6 weeks and had no idea that uploads were also taken off my 5 gb limit... anyway long story... sorted with esat now.... but now i need to know what incoming and outgoing bandwidth setting i should have. I intent to allow 1 gb to others uploading.
    i set kazaa up to allow 3 hours a day to a limit each month.. but it is'nt working.... unless i disable sharing people are still UL at all times
    hope all that makes sense

frith

just one more thing.... why does my speed go from very poor to good (but never 512) that i'm suppose to be getting

any ideas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

NEVER install Kazaa or other such SW.

It licences them to "sell" or use "your" PC and bandwidth.

It requires some expertise to remove all the bits.

All those "popup" download offers for Time or Date syncoronising tools too are as bad.

Also set up a firewall. Either on a PC bwteen your PC and Broadband or on your PC.

Disable EVERYTHING, except that you are using to access Internet.

Disable all "OS Bindings" to the Network interface used for broadband.

Otherwise the World and his Uncle are piggybacking on your broadband:

Relaying Mail, IRC and HTTP
    Anonimising Mail, FTP, IRC and HTTP
    Background CPU time

etc
    Even targeted popup adverts based on your browsing.

Google on PC Internet security and Firewalls.

A incorrectly or unconfigured Firewall can actually make life worse.

(Final personal note. If you *ARE* Frith, get a hat to hide those long furry ears. Dead give-away!)

hello ...thanks for your advise however if i did'nt have these SW i really might as well not have the computer cos thats my big thing ....music.... finding new band etc

frith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

As far as I know uploads don't get included in your download limit - it's strictly downloaded traffic only.

Get DU_Meter. It is a bandwidth monitor and gives you loads of useful information about your connection, such as U/L and D/L speeds, and totals for daily, weekly and monthly downloads. You can get it from http://www.dumeter.com

It will run for 30 days before you have to register it for continued use - the registration costs around €20, but it is well worth it in my opinion - It's a great little program.

Wheeler_1028.

hello .. thanks for the info will check it out....
    i was disconnected from esat for 10days cos i was well over my limit... people had uploaded 3 times as much from me as i had downed.... i did'nt know it and was not told about it( the sales staff did'nt know either) it's like being charged for phone calls u get as well as make. anyway i caused such a fuss i got a month's free of charge and re connected. thats why i'm so interested in the whole bandwidth thing so i can limit the amount of bytes.

thanks again

frith

Advertisement