Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox - the poor thing

Options
  • 01-09-2003 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Is it just me or does Xbox have a really bad press. It starts off to people questioning its size, then its "stupid" hard drive (which I believe rocks). Apparently PS2 is perfection "consolified" so to speak, and anything that is different from PS2 is EVIL.

what do you all think? Is Xbox a drowning cow???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Get out of hear you Xbox fanboy!

I can do that, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the size is a bit big but the hard drive is cool

they way u can play tony hawk with your own music is brilliant

can the PS2 do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bewildered

I'm kind of afraid to ask, but which one is you in that picture chernoyble?

I have nore music on my xbox that a lot of small country music shops. Literally I have hundreds of tracks, and I have barely even payed for most of them. Can your old PS2 have you listen to any music you want while you play really original titles??

Yeah sure it's mainly driving games that let you do it, but Bill G. is learning...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Not everything bar the PS2 is evil. Just the XBox.

The gamecube is actually quite good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't care if the xbox is big or has crap controllers. And I don't care that the PS2 is one ugly console and also has crap controllers (However from a design point of view the Gamecube is perfection consolified).

I ask myself 1 question. Are there any games on the xbox that I have to play that aren't available on PS2 and GC. The answer to that is no and thats the reason I haven't bought an xbox.

Here's another question. Can the xbox play GTA, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Zelda Wind Waker, Ikaruga, ICO, FFX, Xenosaga, etc.

It doesn't matter to me that I can listen to my own music during games or that I don't have a hard disk. I buy my consoles to play games and not to blurt out tech specs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Halo! Halo 2! Doom 3! Need i say more about how great the Xbox is :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo: out on PC soon.
    Doom 3: will be out on PC first and be far better
    Halo 2: May yet change my mind. That and emulation might make me get one :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Which is better, Sega or Nintendo? Blur or Oasis? Rolling Stones or the Beatles?

Someone tell me what to think!

Think about cheese. It helps ease my confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Daddy or chips ?

(actually XBox Rocks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Doom 3: will be out on PC first and be far better

Can I borrow your Crystal Ball to get this weekend lottery numbers:D

I like my xbox, I know bugger all about PS2 and Cubes, so I won't make stupid comments about 'em

the fact of the matter is this any game that is out on a console that is a port of a PC game. 100% of the time the pc version is going to be better

for example GTA: Series. - much bettter on Pc

half-Life 2 - will be much better on pc than x-box or any console
    Doom 3 - will have the same outcome as half-life 2

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by bewildered
    Is it just me or does Xbox have a really bad press. It starts off to people questioning its size, then its "stupid" hard drive (which I believe rocks). Apparently PS2 is perfection "consolified" so to speak, and anything that is different from PS2 is EVIL.

what do you all think? Is Xbox a drowning cow???

The XBox is only good when you stick a mod chip in there and use it as a media player.

Games can be ripped to the nice new (large) HDD which you can then install.

Movies can be viewed using X-Box Media Player, which plays prettymuch everything that your PC does. It's great for anime and stuff like that as something that may not be the best quality when you watch it on the PC looks amazing at full screen on a TV.

If you want games, proper games, then get yourself a nice PS2 or Gamecube. Having said that I'm rather partial to Tiger Woods 2003 on the X-Box, but that's because EA have injected it with "one more play" syndrome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

don't be shy Borzoi, Retr0 knows bugger all about consoles and pc's and still makes stupid comments about 'em :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Xbox is a quality console, as is the PS2 and the GC. At the moment all three are sitting behind me and it is impossible to say which is better.

On the grand scale of things, the GC has the best quality games, but very little of them. The Xbox would be second quality wise but would have them in more quantity. The PS2 in my opinion has has too many crap games.

It really depends on what style of games you like. If you love Nintendo games, i.e. Maria, Zelda and likes, the GC is the only choice. If you want First Person Shooters and a bit more and dont want to purchase a PC, the Xbox is spot on. If you want platform, action, sports or driving games, the PS2 does the job.

Personally I feel the Xbox is having a far to hard time of things. It was always going to be impossible to beat both Sony and Nintendo, especially when you consider the headstart Sony had with the PS2. Microsoft have made a relatively good effort and are now sitting in second place and with the prospect of numerous grade A titles being released, this position will be strenghtened.

Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing 2, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Grand Theft Auto Series, EA's support and future Xbox Live titles is a vert strong line up. These games will appeal to the masses and will take a large chunk out of the PS2's user base. Lets face it, the PS2 is not powerful enough to cope with what either the Xbox or the GC can produce.

Lets face it, the PS2 is not powerful enough to cope with what either the Xbox or the GC can produce.

But it isn't about power. It's about the games and the xbox just isn't delivering the games that I want to play. I think microsofts approach by bringing out games that appeal to the masses is a sound strategy for establishing a foothold in the console industry but these games are already available on the other formats and its exclusives don't match the exclusive games of the other consoles. Maybe it's the games I like to play but I don't have any interest in the xbox at the moment. I'll wait and see what the future releases are like.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing 2, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Grand Theft Auto Series, EA's support and future Xbox Live titles is a vert strong line up.

hate to say this though HL2 and Doom3 will suck on the x-box so will GTA series cos it's basically 2 year old game and vice city is a year old.

as for half-life2 and doom3 there is no chance u can get an as good a playing experience as you can with the pc. ppl have started to upgrade their machines in order to play HL2 and they go a lot further than the x-box specs of 700mhz with 64mb ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's amazing how retrogamer says the same crap in each post that comes up about the 3 consoles. Everyone has their own opinion. I'm sick of this fanboy **** that keeps popping up. Read about the XBOX exclusives and Live games, read about how well the PS2 did at E3 (oops they didnt do too well), the gamecube is alright. Also look how much longer the PS2 is out before the XBOX. It's way too early to write it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Cr3m0,

Xbox doesn;t have the exact same architecture of a pc. not bottlenecks and no windows os running in the background.

It would get a medium performance outta HL2.

And remember,

your processor is only as faster as its connecting devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    hate to say this though HL2 and Doom3 will suck on the x-box so will GTA series cos it's basically 2 year old game and vice city is a year old.

as for half-life2 and doom3 there is no chance u can get an as good a playing experience as you can with the pc. ppl have started to upgrade their machines in order to play HL2 and they go a lot further than the x-box specs of 700mhz with 64mb ram.

So what you're saying is that the Xbox, which costs about the same as the new graphics card for your PC, will not deliver the same performance as a PC.:D

You might be right, but will they suck, I'll wait and see.

And if they do, I'll happily shout it from the roof tops.

Remember:
    apples =/ pears
    xbox =/ PC

I'm very sorry Kensutz for stating my opinion.

I didn't buy a PS2 for the first because there were no good games on it. It's the same reason that I'm not buying an xbox. It's silly to buy a console on the strength of how well it did at E3. Also Live doesn't iterest me since I live in a crappy town without broadband.

The PS2 has got a thoroughly lousy preview section on most games sites. X-box at least has some promising sounding titles coming out for it. I won't get too excited about Doom 3 & HL 2 until I see some video footage from these games running on an x-box (NOT a pc - many of the x-box magazines seem to think they can fool us into thinking we are watching xbox footage when no - its actually a high spec pc). Fable & Halo 2 are bound to be pretty sweet though.

I am 22, too old for games admittedly, but it does mean that I get to have all three consoles - not that I would admit this to my friends, or any woman, ever. My PS2 is gathering dust currently. Still, it is has a massive backlog of quality titles that no-one can be dissapointed with. So stop fretting over which console is best. Just be glad that you don't have to deal with blue screen like those poor old PC gamers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by clownboy
    Cr3m0,

Xbox doesn;t have the exact same architecture of a pc. not bottlenecks and no windows os running in the background.

It would get a medium performance outta HL2.

stfu. read up in future before you go spouting off at the mouth with that sort of bollcks.

I've had to type up a detailed reply to your ignorance 3 times allready, you really, really aren't worth a 4th.

Eejit.

Meow!

Go **** your mother!!

Answer this!!

How come Apple Pc with 1.5 ghz can out perform P4 2ghz machines??

When you learn that a spec number isn't everything you'll be happy. I've seen 1.8 ghz machines get better performance then a 2.5 ghz machine. Why?? Because the hardware installed in the 1.8 ghx machine didn;t provide so many bottlenecks.

I'm in IT and my friends are and they agree with what i am saying.

And Ken was right. RetroGamer doesn;t know his ass from his elbow about games. he is a fanboy. The only people who seem to know their **** are shiniji, Ken and rubber matt!!

To the others **** you and these forums. I'm going back to the real gamers forums

you do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Cr3m0

The makers of HL2 themselves said that HL2 will run on lower end syttems, and that all the core gameplay will remain intact, only without some of the graphical sheen. So i dont see why it shouldnt run fine on an xbox, the only problem being the controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

GAWAN THE DREAMCAST!!!!! :D

Advertisement