Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox - the poor thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I own an Xbox, and I am currently in a situation where the majority of games don't appeal to me, with the exception of Halo and Panzer Dragoon Orta. Xbox Live also seems to be great, that and Halo 2 are the reasons I'm holding onto the console, but I do feel that its library is pretty empty of AAA games that are exclusive to the console.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Get out of hear you Xbox fanboy!

I can do that, right?

Lets hope you can.

Will all the fanboys* please some what grow up.

It's not about what kind of computer is used, it's about the games.

(* = anyone who is willing to fall head over heals in love with a games format - "the xbox/cube/ps2 etc is the best")

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It has been suggested that the Xbox, due to the streamlining of PC architecture, wil drastically outperfrom an equivelent spec'd PC. This is a fact.

HL2 is being developed with to run of P3 machines as a basic requirement with relatively good graphics cards. The Xbox will consistently outperform such a system, thus HL2 on the Xbox will run just as well as any PC version, just at a lower resolution.

I can see Retrogamers point, he is a fan of a particular style of game. The GC has this style of game in abundance, while the Xbox does not.

I've had to type up a detailed reply to your ignorance 3 times allready, you really, really aren't worth a 4th.

Type it up again will you, or paste it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭m0o|Dino

all of yee stfu or else im giving yee a week ban

Closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

As long as you have yer beer, a few spliffs who gives a flying sh1te what yer playing.

Everybody has their own preferences to what console they play, mine happens to be xbox and live, haven't touched an offline game since I've had it (but that's my preference), Sony and PS2 are now playing catch-up with SOCOM but lets see how that pans out with M$ having a head start in that market.

And yiz are right about quality games there's some absolute sh1te titles on all 3 the xbox suffers from terrible, sloppy ports of ps2 and PC games but there's also a few gems out there that'll have ya playing day in day out putting in 20-30 hours a week in some cases.

And whoever said they're to old to be playing games, grow up will ya, I'm 34 married with baggage and I'm still doin it (though I now use it as an excuse to escape the melee that goes on around me).

So will the fanbies and flamers relax get on with it, build yer online gaming communities and enjoy what ya got.

Nialler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by clownboy
    Answer this!!

How come Apple Pc with 1.5 ghz can out perform P4 2ghz machines??
    What PPC chip? G3, G4, G4+, G5? What platforms for each?
    Which OS?
    Which app?
    You've just spouted more bollocks. Congrats :)
    Also, the motorola chips have a differing architecture to the P4. Different design.
    You claimed that the XBox had a different architecture to a PC.
    I disagree.
    733Mhz Intel x86 cpu (closer to a Celeron with 133Mhz FSB then a P3 really), 64Megs of ram (Single channel SDR afaik, 133Mhz) with video memory sharing out of that too, 8gig hard drive, nForce-based chipset, with GeForce3-class graphics core.
    The game ports ont he front are basically USB1.1 with modified jacks.
    It has a 10/100Mbit ethernet port. I bet you if you looked hard enough (ie referenced the MAC address of it agaisnt the manufacturer's codes) it'd turn out to be a 3Com 905C-based dsp - just like the nVidia nForce and nForce2 boards in PCs today.

The reaso the XBox seems to run modern games as fast as a PC with beefier specs is because of 3 reasons:
    (a)the XBox is a fixed platform. The code can be tweaked to take advantage of every resource, only one code-path has to be written for the different engines (3D, physics, AI, audio etc.), and the code can be highly optimised. Chipsets from ATi and nVidia give similar results but achieve them in disparate ways. Coders have to create different code paths (Ie programmable shaders) for each chipset even with DirectX apps. We haven't really moved past coding games to take advantage of individual graphics accelerators (eg. the days of PowerVR and VooDoo1s), we've just smoothed over it.
    (b) the XBox doesn't have to render stuff at as high a qualty as is expected on a PC. ie lower resolution (anything over 640x480 is a waste of time on anything less then a HDTV), lower frame rate (50fps for PAL, 60fps for NTSC - half those again for interlaced modes), LOD (level of detail) Bias, mipmapping, draw distance, AI - enemies in FPSes don't have to be terribly smart or hard to kill, the controller makes it difficult enough, Halo being a perfect example.
    (c) your average couch jockey is blissful in his ignorance and wouldn't care either way.

When you learn that a spec number isn't everything you'll be happy. I've seen 1.8 ghz machines get better performance then a 2.5 ghz machine. Why?? Because the hardware installed in the 1.8 ghx machine didn;t provide so many bottlenecks.
    be more specific.
    What systems are we talking here? 1.8 opteron vs. 2.5celeron?
    What apps, OS, platform etc. again?
    Please, stop spouting buzzwords.

I'm in IT and my friends are and they agree with what i am saying.
    you and your friends are morons.
    And you have just made be laugh quite hard.
    Here, look what you've gone and made me do....I've spluttered tea all over the screen...thanks :)

And Ken was right. RetroGamer doesn;t know his ass from his elbow about games. he is a fanboy.
    True.
    The only people who seem to know their **** are shiniji, Ken and rubber matt!!

no comment :)

btw, I get the distinct smell of management/marketing/sales off you and your posts.
    what is your exact job discription?

To the others ["fu[i][/i]ck" is what I think you meant] you and these forums. I'm going back to the real gamers forums

ttyl gl hf faeg lololololol

etc.

And remember,

your processor is only as faster as its connecting devices.
    And remember,

your processor is only as faster as its connecting devices.

What the flying christ-on-a-bike do you mean by that little pearl of wisdom?

And you say you work "in IT"......doesn't surprise me

So....are those new toner cartridges any easier to refill nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Its pretty clear that you are a PC fanboy and that you are intimidated by €200 system that can play games that you thought were only for your €2000 pc.

p.s. My friends enjoyed your reply!! Lets just say that boards.ie seems to be filled with the rejects from todays industries who read a few pages of A+ book and think they know it all. I'll stay on the UK forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hmm.

Does Stormfront have a games section, by any chance?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Personally I rather enjoy my xbox and have no major complaints about it
    i have PC as a well and between them all my gaming needs are catered for
    at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice over which one you prefer
    in the same fashion that people like and drive different types of car , so do they with consoles , the cars do the same thing will get you to the same place at the end of the day ,
    the consoles all play games enjoyment is gained

C64's are ancient and very outdated but some people still swaer it was the best gaming machine ever (even in its console incarnation) again its just a dif view.

I think the X box has alot to offer and definately has some good games on the way , with all the trouble and strife in the world is it too much to ask for a little more maturity and peace on the boards and a maybe a little respect for each others opinions misinfomed as they maybe
    My two European cents worth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Clownboy, Syxpak has put forward several strong, well researched and factually accurate arguments to you interspersed with his own delectable form of wit.

You rebutted his argument by suggesting he was a delusional "PC fanboy". To be totally honest this is pathetic.

If you're an IT wizard and have a group of hardcore IT friends one would assume ye could at least combine your collective cerebrum and formulate a semi-plausable argument.

If this is the standard of debate we are to expect from your group of hardened IT Einsteins then maybe it is best you continue to grace the UK with your astounding intellect rather than lower the collective IQ of boards.ie with your mumbling incoherence.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

also just to get one thing straight i never said that hl2 and doom3 would be ****e on the x-box i just think it will be better on the pc due to several factors.

1. no crappy control pad
    2. the game is being designed solely for the pc gamer in mind.
    3. pc's give better framerate and resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by SyxPak

733Mhz Intel x86 cpu (closer to a Celeron with 133Mhz FSB then a P3 really), 64Megs of ram (Single channel SDR afaik, 133Mhz) with video memory sharing out of that too, 8gig hard drive, nForce-based chipset, with GeForce3-class graphics core.

i think the chipset is very similar to the nforce220 or 220D, cant remember the exact name, but with wider buses, so it should be able to transfer data slightly faster than a pc of similar spec, but i do mean slightly

Its pretty clear that you are a PC fanboy

It's pretty clear that you're a Xbox fanboy :)

that you are intimidated by €200 system that can play games that you thought were only for your €2000 pc.

"€200 system" what? The Xbox is not a 200 Euro system, that may be its selling price, however the Xbox is a loss making product.

p.s. My friends enjoyed your reply!! Lets just say that boards.ie seems to be filled with the rejects from todays industries who read a few pages of A+ book and think they know it all. I'll stay on the UK forums.

As you were talking about intimidation it's funny you're intimidated by such "rejects from todays industries" - BTW who are you talking about? :confused:

Cr3m0,

Xbox doesn;t have the exact same architecture of a pc. not bottlenecks and no windows os running in the background.

It would get a medium performance outta HL2.

This is my original post and for that i have been flamed and have flamed back.

Even in SyxPak lastest post, he says that xbox seems to run games that require a beefer pc.

I just didn't go to the bother of posting specs up that are around the net since the xbox's lanuch.

I couldn't be arsed to be honest. I don't know why SyxPak lose it when i original posted this. It seems he is pissed off with a lower spec console having games that should be exclusive on his PC. i can understand, as a person who spent hundreds on upgrades over time.

And i'm not a xbox fanboy. i had all three consoles at one stage. i only have the xbox now because i got broadband and LIVE takes up most of my gaming time.

And about the cpu only being as fast as its connectting devices. i'm not going to bother posting up material on process management, threads and I/O devices.

Now i have asked Shiniji to put a ban on me so when one of you flames me, i won;t come back and start a flaming war.

There seems to be a *click* going on here and i have upset one of it members by having different views.

cya later

There seems to be a *click* going on here and i have upset one of it members by having different views.

Most people here have different views to others on many topics.

It has more to do with how you debate (see the post by logic).

If you're fed up of replying to something try some thing like "I don’t want to continue talking about this" and not just "Go **** your mother!!" or my IT friends back me up etc….

You can also unsubscribe to the threads!

Sorry,

When i was told to stfu and called an Eejit, that was my first response.

Now i don't want to talk about this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

So... anyone looking foward to Halo 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

... maybe if it had a mouse ;)

Damn consoles and their non mouse/keyboardness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

JESUS CHRIST ON A STICK WHEN ARE MUPPETS GOING TO LEARN TO SPELL THE WORD "CLIQUE"?

I'm not going to ban you. No martyrs here. But be more polite in future, and learn to debate properly rather than acting like you're in a pub slagging match after twelve pints, eh?

By the way, the point about the Xbox being able to play more advanced games than a similarly specced PC is true, if a little moot - after all, not many people out there are running PCs with 733Mhz CPUs, Geforce 3 cards and only 64Mb of shared graphics and main RAM, now are they? The RAM is a very big limiting factor in what you can do with Xbox games, and that's why fitting Doom III onto the Xbox (for example) will be tricky - because the lighting methods it uses are real memory hogs.

Oh, and out of interest... You say that you work in IT? Well... Okay, I've worked with some IT managers in the past who couldn't find their backsides with a map and both hands, but I'm still a little surprised that if you claim to be an IT professional you don't know that the answer to the question:

"How come Apple Pc with 1.5 ghz can out perform P4 2ghz machines??"

... Is that the Apple systems run on PowerPC processors rather than x86 processors, and that since they're a completely different chip architecture you can't compare clock speeds directly. Clock speeds only work as performance comparisons across exactly similar architecture - you can't even directly compare Intel and AMD clock speeds, never mind x86 and PowerPC or x86 and StrongARM!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find that the goldeneye/timesplitter control scheme is a good substitute for a keyboard and mouse. The Halo/console quake control scheme isn't bad either if you get used to it. I'm looking forward to Halo 2 as well although I don't think it will pursuade me to fork out for an xbox. Sudeki may change my mind.

Seemingly Halo 2 has been delayed until April now. Also, the Xbox is dropping to 99 sterling next month.

Seems like Half Life 2 has had a dramtic effect on Doom 3's and Halo 2's release dates :p Alll speculation of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I just can't get used to it at all :( Too many little jiggery pokery buttons and control sticks.

Played goldeneye a couple of years ago and the control system was okay actually, I liked the stick underneath the pad. But trying to play Nightfire on the PS2 is like torture, and Halo was just painful as well.

I think I'm just spoiled by the WASD croud and nice optical mouseyness.

[You're not very good at this "civil debate" thing, are you?]

Syxpak,

I get a smell of petrol of you. Go back to your job, working in a petrol station.

Here's something one of IT lads made for you!!

[Image deleted]

Studying electronic engineering. It's in my interest to have a clue about such things as comparing microprocessor architectures.

btw, you still haven't said what you work as exactly.
    There seem to be more people than just myself who are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

lol classic kingpindave

Anyway shinji nice reply bout the ibm/motorola v intel chips. Clock speeds don't mean didly, cisc/risc processors, bus speeds, system architecture, multithreading, ram speeds all can make a dramatic speed difference.

If you read clownboy's final few post you'll see one thing "live takes up most of his gaming time" the same applies to me, I haven't played an offline game since I got broadband and live in. Now everybody likes to spout how "great" their console is and how "better" it is than every other console out there, the PS2 had the 18month headstart had a huge established gameplayer base, M$ coming into the market as a new player they've done a remarkable thing with Xbox Live, to be honest, from having a computer oir some sort of console for the last 21 years I haven't in all honesty had so much fun gaming or online since I've had it.

And if sony and the ps2 managed to capture the same fun and essence of Xbox Live then fair play to them just means more enjoyment for us gamers.

Nialler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

A couple of points.

Firstly on games that are ported to other systems. Typically the original version of the game is the best. The reason for this is because extensive development goes into it, and then the ported versions are rushed out the door asap to cash in on other platforms and all the bugs etc just aren't ironed out properly. Additionally custom code for a specific platform very often ports very badly to another system.

The whole PS2 vs X-Box vs GC argument is getting really tiring at this stage, since it becomes game X on platform Y is far better than anything on platform Z. So all you're really doing is comparing different games, not the platforms in question. The each certainly have their own strong points, not least of which is games unique to their own platform. To *** I don't really think there is an awful lot of difference between them. Owning two of the above and having spent vast amount of time on the third I have to say I like all 3, correction, I very much like games on each one that aren't available on the others. And if asked to pick which is best I dont' think I easily could.

The whole PS2 vs X-Box vs GC argument is getting really tiring at this stage, since it becomes game X on platform Y is far better than anything on platform Z. So all you're really doing is comparing different games, not the platforms in question. The each certainly have their own strong points, not least of which is games unique to their own platform. To *** I don't really think there is an awful lot of difference between them. Owning two of the above and having spent vast amount of time on the third I have to say I like all 3, correction, I very much like games on each one that aren't available on the others. And if asked to pick which is best I dont' think I easily could.

Perfect!

Anyone wanna mention games and not the size of the console and the joypad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Ah the XBox is superior to any console available at the moment. And its the best value for money.

Built in Hard Drive, MP3's etc.

Great Machine.

Halo = One of the best games ever.
    Get one if you have some spare cash.

Yes, I have a PS2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Wow Ryo, thanks for your well thought out and articulated arguments. I really like the way you addressed many of the points raised in the thread in a succint and intelligent manner! It's great that we have people like you to make such valuable contributions to the discussion.

Advertisement