Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ripper virus

Options
  • 02-09-2003 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hey,

a mates pc has recently got the ripper virus (from an old floppy or somthin) and cant seem to remove it. the pc is running xp pro (ntfs partitioned), ive tried to get a boot disk working but it wont read the ntfs partition, it has NAV 2003 and is picking it up but wont remove it.

Any suggestions???

Rgds

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

i FDISK'ed it but it wont run a dos virus scan because the boot floppy wont see the NTFS partition that norton is on, and i cant seem to find a way to create a norton boot disk.

i also tried to convert the partition to FAT32 but partition magic kept gettin errors

Cheers

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

once you've fdisk'd and repaired the mbr, can you not boot into safemode?

You should be able to run a virus scan there without the virus starting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Man, I haven't seen ripper in ages. Used to have it on my 286 back in the day. If I remember the ould DOS version of Dr Solomons anti virus toolkit kicked it's a*se. But that was back in the day like I said.

I hadn't used an antivirus in ages and then Microsoft's laziness hit me in the form of those dodgy w32 worms. Ah the good oul days.....ww)

Advertisement