Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blur @ The Olympia, 07/12 and 08/12/03

• 02-09-2003 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Blur play the Olympia Theatre in Dublin on Sunday 7th and Monday 8th of December as part of an extensive European tour. No more details known as of yet, however tickets should go on sale within the next week or two.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

please post here when they go on sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Took awhile for an update, the shows have finally been confirmed by MCD. Tickets for Blur's two Olympia dates, priced €40 to €45 go onsale Saturday 20th @ 9am. Although if anyone is familier with Ticketmaster, they usually begin selling the tickets a few days before the onsale date, so I will update if this happens.

cool, i wonder who the support will be? I know in October they are supported by The Coral and in November by Elbow, not sure about December though.

Just had a look at mcd site how many times do they say "intimate"!! The words "intimate or "solo" these days seem to guarantee a frenzy over tickets, I hope I can one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

blur just arent what they used to be.

Seen them at T in the park back in 1999 (just after 13 album IIRC) and wasnt a very good gig atall

seen them again this year at reading festival, and apart from when they played the classics, the rest of the gig was just a bit of a letdown.

They also really miss graham coxon big time, i was surprised that only a couple of reviews I read on blur @ reading said this, as when i was standing watching them it was clear as day they missed him (i played guitar for 4 years. i like hearing the lil riffs etc.. and they were all missed because graham wasnt there)

I have no eagerness to see blur again i must say :(, they used to be one of my favourite bands, but they simply just cant live up to that reputation anymore.

If you like there new depressing stuff though it will probably be a good show i imagine ;p

Hey that Reading setlist was really good, probably won't play as many classics in Dublin. I don't think they'll miss Graham live, as radiohead said anyone can play guitar, once the main mans voice is there its all the same live i think and reality is you could say that for most bands live e.g. oasis, suede

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jerk

might go to this
    saw them in the point after the "Blur" album.
    very good

bad news is that the support is just a dj, what a load of crap, well i'm not into that stuff anyway, would have been nice to see coral or elbow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

:cool: I just got tickets to see them both days, now I think it's time for me to crawl back to bed and hope this hangover is gone by Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Hey that Reading setlist was really good, probably won't play as many classics in Dublin.

yeh i thought the exact same thing.

I bounced to all of the classics that i knew in reading dont get me wrong, im not saying it was a really bad gig, just that all there new stuff is depressing and dosent get the crowd going at all.

My biggest problem with blur is probably myself, i always wanted to see them when they were in there peak, when i finally did get the chance as ive said it was after 13 and i wasnt a fan of the 13 album, i somehow wish they would get up and do all the old stuff from modern life is rubbish/parklife etc..

when really i should know that aint gonna happen :p. Still, reading was ok for blur song wise, they played alot more than they did when i watched them in 1999 anyway (old song wise..)

just not a fan of there latest stuff at all.

Their hayday of popularity must be gone, blur are struggling to sell out the 2nd night at the olympia!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

is the first one sold out? have to get me ticket soon

yeah, the first ones sold out. Standing tickets are sold out for the 2nd night, seating only left now.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Originally posted by Big Chief
    i wasnt a fan of the 13 album, i somehow wish they would get up and do all the old stuff from modern life is rubbish/parklife etc..

I think that blur are one of the few bands that actually get better with each album. from "blur" onwards, they're music really became a lot more grown up - a lot more immersing and enduring than a few few catchy pop ditties. Kind of like the beatles in a way. Can't wait to see them in a small venue next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

gig was great. played all the old stuff. tickets are still on sale you will get one cheap outside. anybody got the setlist?

Brilliant gig alright, top notch stuff, definitely get a ticket and go see them because it will be a concert highlight of your year. Blur will be remembered as one of the great bands of our era. Have to say enjoyed it more than Radiohead in the same venue back in May. Support was dreadful so if you've a seat give them a skip. Blur on stage 9pm for 2 hours. At the end I asked a bouncer for a setlist and he nodded at me then called up to stage eventually got one and then folded it up and put it his pocket...pr*ck, they shouldn't be allowed do that if they are working there!!

Songs I remember

Ambulance
    Beetlebum
    Girls & Boys
    Badhead
    She's So High
    Tender
    Caravan
    Out Of Time
    Brothers & Sisters
    Song 2
    To The End
    End Of A Century
    Advert
    Trimm Trabb
    This Is A Low
    For Tomorrow
    Me White Noise
    We've Got A File On You
    The Universal

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

I thought they kinda messed up TrimTrabb. It's almost as if the guitarist forgot to play the heavy Gain guitar for the last verse :(

That's only a small gripe though because it was a great concert and I love the Olympia as a venue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Len_007

Was at the 2nd gig there on Monday night. A might of mine organised it through his connections, that we got one of the box's up on the right hand side of the stage. & afterwards we got guest passes into the bar where I was able to meet the band! I got Damon to sign the best of album cover and when I went to shake his hand I spilled his guiness on him! He had a bit of a chuckle at my idiotness. I was chatting Dave for a good while, sound bloke. And the guitarist, who I think was with the Verve? was cool too.

lucky b@$tard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Originally posted by krinpit
    I thought they kinda messed up TrimTrabb. It's almost as if the guitarist forgot to play the heavy Gain guitar for the last verse :(

That's only a small gripe though because it was a great concert and I love the Olympia as a venue

quitarist or bass player? the bass player was off his trolley on sunday, he had a permagrin from ear to ear for 2 hours staring into space!

the bass player was off his trolley on sunday, he had a permagrin from ear to ear for 2 hours staring into space!
    Yeah Alex was all smiles alright and he spent the whole night standing on the very edge of the stage, i thought he was just feeling good, but now that you say it maybe it was a chemical smile, although i thought they were really clean living guys these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement