Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

250- 500 euro hi-fi

Options
  • 02-09-2003 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Im lazy and cant be bothered doing my own research so here it goes.

Can anyone recommend a good hi fi for 250 to 500 euros with an ability to store music in .mp3 and .wma formats. By store I mean with memory inbuilt. Im sorry if this was vague, but you guys are real great people, legendary even and I know you wanna impart your wisdom upon a poor lost man in a quick shifting music technology world we live in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

is it a portable MP3 player you are looking for ?
    'cause when people say "Hi-Fi System" usually it means - speakers, amp and a player....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tyndallite

no not a portable mp3 player but with the abillities of one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Most CD players wouldn't recognize mp3s etc. you'd have to look towards a DVD player (vast majority of which offer mp3 playback.. wma a good bit less however).

Of course either way you'd have to couple it with an amplifier and speakers.

I haven't seen two many all-in-one mini/micro systems that have mp3 playback apart from one by Ministry of Sound I recall seeing a fair few months ago.. a rather bizarre tall thing with largish speakers, can't comment on the sound quality personally but since you don't even mention that I'll go ahead and presume its nowhere near a priority.

A quick search for ministry of sound (or check ixos.co.uk who I believe make them) should reveal a bit more.. I'm pretty certain its in your price range anyway.

actually it is a priority sorry for not mentioning it , thanks for the advise though I'll look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i saw a thing in the front window of the sony centre....it was a hifi with a 30gb hard drive built into it so you can transfer stuff from your puter...was a bit pricy tho...around 900 i think

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If its for yourself, then building a hard disk system like i'm doing from an old PC will allow you to spend more on an amp and speakers. There's plenty of tutorials on the net for doing this.

hmm there;s an idea thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

just remember one thing:

The sound quality will be determined by the quality of the Sound-Card (I won't even go into the poor quality of MP3s...)

While you can get descent sound cards, they would be usually expensive and the best would be an external one (as the PC enviroment is very "Noisy" and will impact the sound on your sound card).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I see the M-Audio Revolution being mentioned on a fair number of websites above the likes of the SB Live etc. in terms of audio quality.. so might be an idea to keep an eye out for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Or get a soundcard with a digital out and an amp with a digital in. This should abstract you from the problems with the noise inside the computer. I'd say you'll find it difficult to get all this together for your price range however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement