Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quake source code help

• 02-09-2003 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I have just downloaded the source code for quake and need a basic walkthrough of the code can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

holy ****! a post thats new.

sorry, cant help.. but i love the new post .. even if its a one liner ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

NP about the post just wish u cud help me. *** does anyone even view this board? Its seems like ropedrink is the man i need to c but he hasn't been in boards in months Ropedrinke i Need You!!!

there's very few programmers here... maybe try the programming board for more help?

Ropedrink where have u hidin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

what exactly are you looking for? I know you said a walkthrough - but that's a bit vague. Are you talking about networking or gfx or what?

• Advertisement

I am a complete noob to programing or game editing but just recently downloaded the Quake source code. My plan is to maybe make a few single player levels as a way to try and make my programming bones. There is just one problem I dont know where to begin what programmes to download etc. I was wondering if anyone could help ie guide me threw the process or maybe point me in the direction of a manual or some sort of walk thru to using this code. That any better deranged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattg

Hey,

I replied to your other post on the programming board. I am still not sure what you want to do? Do you want to learn to program or design levels? :S They are 2 diffrent things, with programming you physically write the code and with level design you model a level and skin the buildings ect. You can use Worldcraft for this. Just make a search on the game editing board and you will find lots of info ;)

If you want to learn to program you must learn a language. I think the quake engine was written in c with directx, not sure, I havent looked over it yet.

Matt

Originally posted by mattg
    You can use Worldcraft for this

not for quake matey :)

google for 'Quake Army Knife' or 'QuaRK'

I was talking about level design in general, like if he wanted to start level design he could use worldcraft. I know it is for halflife, I suppose I was misleading tho ;)

Matt

If you want to learn to program you must learn a language.

How do I do this?

• Advertisement

Well you must first pick a language to learn and then do tutorials, or buy a book or something.

Most games these days are written in c++. If you want introduction tutorials to c++ check my website out, and under the tutorials section I have a set that I wrote. www.mattsnet.tk If you are into game programming I recommend you visit www.gamedev.net and www.gamedevelopers.ie and www.flipcode.com

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I think you should probably learn to map before you try and code. I can't see anyone starting off in game editing with coding.

My 2c anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    I am a complete noob to programing or game editing but just recently downloaded the Quake source code.

If you are a complete newbie to programming or game programming you shouldn't be going near the Quake code. John Carmack is a very complex coder, and while the Quake code is not too complex or unreadable you still really should know what you are doing before trying to understand it.

If you aren't sure about programming I would buy a good C book or a good C++ book (most C++ books teach you C first then C++)

I recommend Deitel & Deitel's "C++ How to Program". It is quite long, but very complete, you will know a lot about C++ and programming in general after reading it.

When it comes to game programming I would recommend LaMothe's "Tricks of The Windows Game Programming Gurus" and "Tricks of The 3D Game Programming Gurus", read in that order. The are excellent books to introducing you to game design and programming.

The first book introduces you to game design, game loops, drawing to the screen, blitting sprites, 2D vector drawing (basis for 3D vector drawing), sound, basic physics, AI and communicating with joysticks and gamepads.

The second book teaches you about 3D graphics without using Direct3D or OpenGL. This is an excellent approch because you learn what 3D engines such as Direct3D are actually doing rather than just the function calls to make them do it.

After all this you should be capable of understand other graphic engines (such as Quake) and even writing your own.

BTW Stay well clear of any of those "Teach yourself C++ in 21 hours" or "Teach yourself 3D graphics in 2 minutes" books ... becoming a good programmer takes time ... don't rush, take your time, learn each stage.

I recommend Deitel & Deitel's "C++ How to Program". It is quite long, but very complete, you will know a lot about C++ and programming in general after reading it.
    Thanx for all the info but are those books published or only avaiable online also how long are they?
    Also matt very nice site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    Thanx for all the info but are those books published or only avaiable online also how long are they?
    Also matt very nice site

They are published, you can get the C++ in pretty much every book shop with a computer section, because it is used in college computer courses so is very popular.

The "Tricks..." series I think you can get that in Waterstones in Dublin ... otherwise off Amazon would be your best bet

Each book is quite long, but learning to program, especially games programming, is quite a complex subject.

I am afraid there is no quick way to learn it properly. The Web is good for specific tutorials but a good C++ book is a must.

theres a few nice links in the sticky at the top of this board..

mostly for starting to learn to map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

cough *www.modtheater.com *cough

was also surprised at new post ,i was like :eek:

kdjac

Advertisement