Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THQ busy in the next couple of months.

• 02-09-2003 5:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

For GameCube owners, September 27th is the release date for the UK/Ireland for Wrestlemania XIX, the followup to the disappointing X8. THQ have some movies of it on their site but I really wasn't that impressed, probably because I'm a PS2 owner ;)

And speaking of PS2, Smackdown 5: Here Comes The Pain is due for a November release. THQ don't have a lot about it on their site, but if you grab your mits on this months copy of PSW magazine. There'll be some preview vids of it on the DVD. They've completely redesigned the game and it's nicely polished. The video featured the following Wrestlers:

Rey Mysterio
    Jeff Hardy
    The Rock (shaved head and half an arms worth of tattoos included)
    Matt Hardy V1
    Jeff Hardy (including body paint)
    Steve Austin and Eric Bishoff
    Goldberg
    Stacy Kiebler and Torrie Wilson (in a Bra and Panties match)
    Scott Steiner
    Brock Lesnar.

I enjoyed SD4 personally, and am looking forward to this new baby :)
    Nero

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

reding this thread i'm wondering why i havn't bought a wrestling game since Attitude on the PS1. i might get the smackdown game that is out on platinum. is that good, which one is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Mossy,

For PS2, Don't bother with SmackDown! 3 (Just Bring It), it looks good and plays well in exhibition but it has very little in the way of Story mode. It's save game time is also a joke (takes nearly a minute to save a game, I'm not exaggerating! It's been out on Platinum

Instead get SmackDown! 4 (Shut Your Mouth), It's either just gone Platinum or else it's due to very shortly according to PSW. It was worth the €25 i paid for it in Game used! In order to unlock pretty much all of the unlockables, you'll need to complete story mode (which covers two years) three times. It's CAW will keep ya amused for a while (i spent ages doing an NWO Scott Hall CAW on it)

If you're still on PS1, then get SmackDown! 2 (Know Your Role), Looks a little pants by todays standards (unless run on epsxe on the PC with polygon enhancement switched on), but it'll keep ya busy for a while, it's a nice story mode but having to sit through simulated matches can be annoying.

If you're on PS2, and you can't find SD4 on Platinum, find it used and grab it.
    Hope this helps.
    Nero

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PS2&title=106308

not a bad price. smackdown 2 was a great game. very fast i thought but if i don't go for SD4 then i'll probably wait for the new one to come out

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Shut Your Mouth - great game and lots of fun. The story is enjoyable enough - gets a little boring and repetitive (meeting D-Von *again* looking for money *again* in the hallways is annoying) and I don't think there's enough control on what you get your guy to do behind the scenes so to speak, but that's a different kind of game than what you're being sold, so that's cool.

In ring, it's a great laugh to play and playing in the style of the character rather than just going for the win all the time is a lot of fun. Plenty of moves, fairly good use of props too - all in all a big thumbs up.

I can't wait for the next one - must find some previews on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Smackdown 2 and 4 are both good games I liked them both very much but by the looks of the screenshots and movies I have seen so far wait till nov. for Smackdown Here Comes The Pain, the game looks amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by NeroTheExtreme
    Mossy,

For PS2, Don't bother with SmackDown! 3 (Just Bring It), it looks good and plays well in exhibition but it has very little in the way of Story mode. It's save game time is also a joke (takes nearly a minute to save a game, I'm not exaggerating! It's been out on Platinum

Instead get SmackDown! 4 (Shut Your Mouth), It's either just gone Platinum or else it's due to very shortly according to PSW. It was worth the €25 i paid for it in Game used! In order to unlock pretty much all of the unlockables, you'll need to complete story mode (which covers two years) three times. It's CAW will keep ya amused for a while (i spent ages doing an NWO Scott Hall CAW on it)

If you're still on PS1, then get SmackDown! 2 (Know Your Role), Looks a little pants by todays standards (unless run on epsxe on the PC with polygon enhancement switched on), but it'll keep ya busy for a while, it's a nice story mode but having to sit through simulated matches can be annoying.

If you're on PS2, and you can't find SD4 on Platinum, find it used and grab it.
    Hope this helps.
    Nero

Not to mention the bug in just bring it that when you unlocked Hulk hogan and kevin nash and tried to play them the PS2 crashed and your save games were lost

Get Shut your mouth brilliant Game
    Shin

I thought that bug was for Smackdown SYM! You can't really unlock Nash and Hogan in JBI. The create parts are there and you can make them. But not unlock them.

Nero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I thought that bug was for Smackdown SYM! You can't really unlock Nash and Hogan in JBI. The create parts are there and you can make them. But not unlock them.

Nero.

Sorry i meant the parts in JbI

Shin

Aaah I get ya, I never got that far myself personally. JBI doesn't give ya much in the way of a story mode. I kinda stopped after I unlocked the "new" smackdown arena. By that stage I moved onto SYM and am almost finished career mode for the 4th time (used Jeff Hardy the first time, then Rhyno, then Angle, and now my created version of Scott Hall).

Roll on one more month approx for SD5 :)
    Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

over on www.Play.com both Smackdown 3 and Smackdown 4 are going for decent enough prices

Smackdown 3 for £9.99 or in a 2 for £30 promotion (weird considering you can get 3 of them for less than £30)

Smackdown 4 for £15.99 also not a bad price

delivery is free. i'm off to buy some games

Meanwhile we have to wait until November 21st for SD5's UK release. If we're lucky we'll get it on the same day, if not a week later.

Nero

i got Smackdown 3 to keep me some bit happy (and because my credit card couldn't afford Smackdown 4 :D) until Smackdown 5 is released. it will be mostly 2 player on my PS2 anyway so story modes don't bother me all that much

Word of advice Mossy, Before you consider starting up a game, disable the commentary. Cole and Tazz will drive you up the wall within minutes.

Cole: Jeff Hardy.......... is really a great person!
    Tazz: Who you talkin' to?

You have been warned.
    Nero

Before you consider starting up a game, disable the commentary.

no worries i disable commentary on all games. too repetitive :( Michael Coles voice annoys me anyway :D

In honesty, some of the commentary on SD4 is quite funny

Lawler: Don't say "what?" in front of Angle, it'll drive him nuts!!!
    Ross: "What?" is Steve Austin's Catchphrase, that Kurt Angle hates
    Lawler: Kurt Angle is an olympic Hero JR, and the fans don't give him any respect!!

Some of it's worth hearing.
    Nero

i could very possibly end up getting SD4 in the next few weeks anyway so i'll keep an ear out. do the commentary teams alternate between games or what. ie. Cole/Tazz on 3, Ross/King on 4, Cole/Tazz (will they be on 5) etc.

I haven't heard about the commentary on SD5 to be honest, but i hope to good god, they keep on JR and King for it. It worked a lot better for SD4 and Cole is just a blibbering idiot that it just infuriates me that i have to put up with him for two hours a week and three hours for a PPV!

In fairness to both Cole and Tazz, if you get your mits on the Global Warning Tour, they both bounce off each other which makes for good comic relief! :)

Nero

sweet jesus. i saw a preview for Here Comes The Pain this morning. i want it now. it looks incredible. it had RVD v HHH in an elimination chamber amongst other things. it looks incredible

Lucky swine, I haven't seen any more on it since i got the PSW DVD nearly two months ago. I did however see the screens of the elimination chamber match.

Best of all, this SD! game has BLOOD! The days of No Mercy are coming back to us folks!

Mossy, you'd have enjoyed Smackdown 4, it's look is somewhat similar :)

Nero

• Advertisement

Lucky swine, I haven't seen any more on it since i got the PSW DVD nearly two months ago

i saw it on this months PSW DVD

Too bad the mag is absolute dirt. Just not worth me buying it. I've seen the first preview. Now a playable demo, i'd buy it in a shot ;)

Nero

Too bad the mag is absolute dirt.

too true. seeing SD5 on the DVD cover made me buy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I loved No Mercy-what a standard setting game!!! I hope WMXIX is good,i was quite dissapointed with XVIII.(I only have a Gamecube)
    Must check preview thingy's now....

I've had the chance to play Wrestlemania XIX on the GC tonight.
    It's improved a lot over X8.

It's got a story mode for a start, so that'll keep it going for 1 player modes
    Graphics are more comparible to Raw 2 and SD4 as opposed to the cartoonish style of X8
    The replay's when you hit a major move look really well.
    It keeps a good RAW and Smackdown split simulation.
    It's got BLOOD! And damn, the blade jobs look good.
    It's control system is kinda mixed betweem X8 and No Mercy (ie. you have to hold down grapple for harder moves)
    It's got an up to date roster (Rey Mysterio, Michaels, Lesnar, Batista, and Matt Hardy V1 are all there)

Now for the bad:
    Still missing some entrance themes. Matt Hardy's theme is the same as the Hardy's theme on X8. No idea what the hell Tajiri's theme is!
    The occasional graphics glitch (crowd hands coming through the barriers etc)
    Only one added match, first blood. No Elimination Chamber and the rest of the matches are exactly the same as X8.

It is improved over X8, however it's more what X8 should have been, rather than a sequel.

Nero.

The biggest problem with Gamecube is that nowhere rents gc games. Quite annoying-none of my friends have a cube either,so i cant swap. I might as well just get it for Christmas.

Well with the CG price crash coming up, i can only assume the games are gonna go the same way.

You could always rob someone's credit card and buy em off ebay as well.

I'd recommend buying XIX over X8 anyway though.
    Nero

I hope your right with the games. If the price goes down,i might get a few more games. Last one i got was at my B'day,and that was in April.

A little off topic now i think....erm....sooo...i wonder if you can make Goldberg in the new SD game*ahem*.

Originally posted by Cianan2
    A little off topic now i think....erm....sooo...i wonder if you can make Goldberg in the new SD game*ahem*.

a picture i saw had Goldberg in the game. i'll post it up if i can get my scanner to work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Goldberg is already in Smackdown 5, and his create parts and movesets are in Smackdown 4. The pre made ones are pretty good on SD4, I did Scott Hall and they got it down to a fine art. Facial Expressions and all.

Who's Next?!: http://www.411mania.com/games/viewscreenshot.php?screenshots_id=788
    smiaras: That statement was complete and utter bollocks, with all due respect. Graphics don't sell a game at all, there is no point in having the best looking game on the planet, if you can complete it in an hour only to throw it back in it's box never to be used again! Graphically XIX doesn't look as good as SD4, i will agree there. But it's still a vast improvement over X8.

Couldn't give a stuff about RAW2 as 1) I don't own an xbox and 2), the PC port to the original game was so bad, i feel like a knob for paying 40 euro for the damn game the week it was released for PC!

Nero

Advertisement