Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting on the road

Options
  • 02-09-2003 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Yo, im thinking of getting on the road. what do i need to do? i need a provisional etc? and how do i get that . i know nothing, help me out here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

look here.

Oasis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

You need to get a provisional license before you can go on the road. To get one, you will need to pass your theory test first and then apply for the license.

Theres a book that covers all you need to know for the theory test available, I'd recommend buying that. The test is really easy so I wouldn't worry about it.

Once you've passed that you can pick up a form for the provisional at the local garda station or the motor tax office. You'll need passport photographs and money and the certificate that you've passed your theory test. They will put it all together and give you your license.

If you're serious about getting on the road, apply for your driving test at this point, to keep you motivated on practicing and so that you won't have to wait for ages for the day to come.

Then you'll have to pay for private driving lessons from an instructor or convince your parents/friends to teach you. I'd recommend both, if possible get insured on your own car or a car you have access to and practice as much as possible (with your obliging licensed driver). Then once you're able to start the car, and drive around a bit (in a safe place - like a big empty car park, or a really quiet country road) get about 10 or so lessons to learn all about checking in your mirrors and doing 3 point turns etc.

Then if all goes to plan you should pass your test and join the rest of the responsible, safe road users.

Advertisement