Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen set for contract talks!!

• 02-09-2003 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

Michael Owen has said today that he expects contract talks with Liverpool to start very soon. Thats very good news for the club. I'm happy. The last thing I wanted to see was him leaving the club.

More Here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Michael Owen has said today that he expects contract talks with Liverpool to start very soon.

Doesn't mean he has any intention of signing. I think he,ll be off to chelski next summer if the pool dont get CL football for next season and on current form a cl spot is unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Well if one could try and not be so cynical about it and one were a Liverpool fan one would take this news positively as it is better than him rejecting contract talks. At least he is interested in partaking in negociations:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

If Liverpool don't get a CL spot at the end of this season I fear that MO and SG will pack up and leave. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Doesn't mean he has any intention of signing. I think he,ll be off to chelski next summer if the pool dont get CL football for next season and on current form a cl spot is unlikely.

On current form Liverpool haven't lost a game in three while manu have won one well, scraped a win v wolves and lost to a poor southampton side. On current form the only teams to be in the champions league are Arsenal and Chelsea. With it wide open for the rest of the postions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    On current form Liverpool haven't lost a game in three while manu have won one well, scraped a win v wolves and lost to a poor southampton side. On current form the only teams to be in the champions league are Arsenal and Chelsea. With it wide open for the rest of the postions.
    Man U beat Bolton 4-0 in their first game and they also beat Newcastle 2-1 so I don't know where your going with only winning one. They a are in second place with 9 points from 4 games which is better than they usually are at the start of a season.

About the Owen Contract. Owen has 2 years to run on his contract so if they don't get champions league football this season he still has another year to run and there is no way he'd go on a bosman from the team he played for and loved since he's 17.

• Advertisement

before you press the quote button, read what is on the post you are quoting from. In the last three games

Arsenal = W W W
    Liverpool = D D W
    Man U = W W L

On "current form" and on "current form" only, which of those three clubs are gonna win the league.

Ya see current form is absolute twat and the way people go on about current form in here then predict the outcome of the season from it is ludicrous. You have to take into account the quality of the teams that were played against and also injuries, suspensions etc.
    About the Owen Contract. Owen has 2 years to run on his contract so if they don't get champions league football this season he still has another year to run and there is no way he'd go on a bosman from the team he played for and loved since he's 17.

There is little room for sentimentality in football anymore...

before you press the quote button, read what is on the post you are quoting from. In the last three games

Arsenal = W W W
    Liverpool = D D W
    Man U = W W L

On "current form" and on "current form" only, which of those three clubs are gonna win the league.

Ya see current form is absolute twat and the way people go on about current form in here then predict the outcome of the season from it is ludicrous. You have to take into account the quality of the teams that were played against and also injuries, suspensions etc.

Hve to agree with you there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

See Football365 for details.

Even if he signs a new deal contract's mean very little these days, all it means is that the player does not leave for free (Kewell was contracted to Leeds and left because he wanted to and for bugger all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Arsenal = W W W
    Liverpool = D D W
    Man U = W W L

It is obvious that you are an ABU! Why is the last three matches current form? The 4-0 win over Bolton was just over 2 weeks ago, is that not counted as current form?

Liverpool are doing sh*t at the moment and that win against Everton should settle them.

It has nothing to do with my feelings towards MUFC, I took those from a football website who listed form as those above. Now if you wish to bring everything down to a MU v every other team in the premiership shouting match then well and good, but count me out. Here's one for you though Eireboy, on the seasons form who is going to win the league ??

Man U W W W L
    Arsen W W W W

On that form it is not United is it... Do you actually understand what I am saying yet ?? People who make a judgement based upon the results in four games are certainly a bit blinkered. If it is based on performances in the last four games then United were dire in the last two games and against teams who were in the bottom end of the table last year. Just to reiterate now Eire, I do not care who you support, I am just pointing out how stupid it is to predict where a team will finish in the league based on "current form". If that were the case then at this stage last year you were surely saying that UNited were not going to win the league...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

According to the papers today Owen is happy to start talking round Christmas but these will prob stall until the end of the new season Until he see's where Liverpool end up.

He wasn't happy not to be playing in the champions league this year.

He also wants reassurances that Liverpool will be competing for the Champions league and league before he signs.

Well if one could try and not be so cynical about it and one were a Liverpool fan one would take this news positively

Whats so cynical as repeating what the player has been quoted as saying himself. If you want to deny the reality of the situation thats up to you. Why post if you didnt want to hear opinions on your contibution?

The posters saying owem wont leave Liverpool are in denial, he,s no different to any other player and willl go to a bigger club if liverpool dont match his ambitions. He has said so Himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Me thinks the muppet speaks the truth...

Both Owen and Gerrard have gone on record saying that they would have to consider their careers if Liverpool do not qualify for champions league... they may have couched it in vague language, but that is essentially what they said...

As far as the current form argument goes, do City Qualify as being league challengers with their W D W L? I don't think so...

I think we need to ignore the current form argument until at least Christmas... and even then it's a dodgy way to predict an end result. Last year Man Ure wer trailing Arsenal by what was it, 10 points? But their experience in pressurised situations and Arsenals lack of depth took its toll - now, did either teams 'current form' (back then - would that make it raisin form? Sultana form?)reflect the likelhood of the balance shifting? I don't think so...

Asides from all that, I still predict Liverpool will finish no higher than 5th and that Martin O'Neill will be the scouse manager next season...

Well according to the club and GH they are confidant Owen will sign a contract. GH actually only said today that he knows Owen better than the press that started these stories last season. He has gone on record to say to say this on the Official Liverpool Site.

I agree that two players like Owen and Gerrard have to be playing top class football with top class opposition. But the fact that Kewell turned down so many clubs to come to Liverpool leads me to be optimistic that both Owen and Gerrard will extend their current contracts.

Well according to the club and GH they are confidant Owen will sign a contract.

So we are to ignore what the player himself has said. I have looked at the lfc web site and there is no denial from owen on his reported comments.

I never said there was a denial only an interview with GH that said he "know(s) his players better than the press that worte these reports".

Has anyone actually heard the words "I will leave" come out of Owen's mouth. I never did. All I did was read reports on some websites that were quoting papers that apparently had interviews with him. But as with all authentic press conferences or news or comments however trivial the LFC website always has it first as you would expect from the clubs official website.

That is what I am basing my comments on - not some stupid newpapers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

had there not been chat that SG would sign with clauses guaranteeing CL football, and reduced asking price without it. I can see owen going for something similar. Surely GH would be gone quicker than MO or SG if Cl football not earned by the end of season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Originally posted by jonno
    But as with all authentic press conferences or news or comments however trivial the LFC website always has it first as you would expect from the clubs official website.

Sorry but thats BS, no official site carries any negitive press about their club (LFC website does not publish that Owen is unhappy, MUFC website did not publish that Beckham was unhappy etc.)

I'm not trashing the LFC site, it's prob as good as any of the club sites out there. This applys to all the official club sites.

The press (Newspapers, TV or independent sites) tell both the good and the bad and are a better source of information.

Advertisement