Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Email client for multiple accounts

Options
  • 02-09-2003 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I didn't want to hijack pclancys thread. I am looking for a client that can easily handle around five pop3 accounts. I would like ease of use and spam filtering.
    I tried to use OE in the past but from time to time, it crapped out when switching between identities. I am not sure if it was a known issue and is now resolved but either way I would like to try something new if another client does multiple accounts with ease.
    Thanks, iwb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I just switched to incredimail xe - seems ok so far - handling 1xhotmail, 1ximap mailbox, 1xdomain mailbox(pop).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭PaulMagrath

I highly recommend Microsoft Outlook 2002.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Once again I'm going to plug Mozilla & Thunderbird.

Small to download, no security issues unlike Outlook :D
    Spam blocking is excellent and easy to use.

Works in Windows, Linux and Mac

Oh and of course it handles multi mail box's both imap & POP3 (I've had 7 setup at one stage)

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Personally I think Outlook it woeful even though I have to use it quite a bit. I think I'll try out Thunderboard. Can you hit hotmail from it though?

That incredimail seems to push the style over substance. The website seems to push it as toy rather than a serious app.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    I think I'll try out Thunderboard. Can you hit hotmail from it though?

I don't believe it allows hotmail, but think again I never use it, I much preffer myrealbox.com because it has no adverts allows POP3/IMAP and gives you 10Mb all for FREE!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

2.3 Can I access my Netscape WebMail or Hotmail accounts through Thunderbird?

No. Netscape WebMail and Hotmail use proprietary protocols. To access WebMail directly through an e-mail client requires you to use Netscape 6+ with AIM; to do so with Hotmail requires either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express. There is also freeware applications available that will let you do the same thing, such as Hotmail Popper.

Another example is Gotmail, which is a utility to non-interactively download email from a Hotmail account. It can download messages from all folders, messages from certain folders, or new messages only. There are options to delete downloaded messages or mark them as read. Gotmail can forward messages to other email addresses or save them as local mbox-style mailboxes.

Of course, you can access your WebMail account on the Web at http://webmail.netscape.com/, or Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com/. If you use Microsoft Messenger, clicking on the appropriate link will open your default browser and take you to your inbox.

From the Thunderbird FAQ @ http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#2.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

To access WebMail directly through an e-mail client requires you to use Netscape 6+ with AIM; to do so with Hotmail requires either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express.

Possible with incredimail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

After having used Mozilla for the last few years, I wouldn't go back to Outlook for.... all the spam in my Hotmail account....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I dont know if its appropriate to ask here, but...

I currently receive emails at home in Outlook Express.
    How can i set up the Microsoft Outlook and transfer everything without either losing all emails/contacts or having to do it manually from scratch?

Any tips would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

If you are running outlook for the first time, during setup, it will ask you if you want to migrate any accounts over from Express. I am not sure how to do it if you already have it on your system.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it's already installed.
    Maybe i shoud re-install the whole thing? Do i lose everything though?
    Thanks iwb.

Ancient1,
    I have Outlook 2002. When I go into import and export under file, I have an option to import internet mail and addresses. When I select that, it asks me which type, including outlook express 4.x and 5.x. Not sure if it won't import express six or just doesn't mention it. I won't try it as I don't want to screw up my current Outlook by importing all kinds of email into it.
    Give it a try and let us know how it goes. Make sure you understand where you are importing the mail to in Outlook.

Ibw,

the import worked - cheers!
    I am trying to set up a new account (identical) - obviously i cant keep the old one, right?
    (sorry, this is all very obvious i guess, but i've never done it & dont want to screw up)
    I've copied all the info over (POP3 server, network connection, username etc) - do i disable the old one completely before i set up the new one?

I am trying to set up a new account (identical) - obviously i cant keep the old one, right?

Explain please? A new account in Outlook? Why?

(sorry, this is all very obvious i guess, but i've never done it & dont want to screw up)

No problem, we all have to learn sometime. I just need to understand what you want to do.

I've copied all the info over (POP3 server, network connection, username etc) - do i disable the old one completely before i set up the new one?

What i meant is i wasnt able to receive test emails on Microsoft Outlook,only on the Express....but meanwhile i receive emails on both !
    I guess i managed to set it up! (now i'll just get rid of MS outlook)

Thanks for all the tips, ibw - owe you a cold one!

I'm glad I was of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by iwb
    Not sure if it won't import express six or just doesn't mention it..

OE4 uses a different mailbox format to OE5 & 6, if you select 5 it should import okay from 6 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Dunno how anyone can possible recommend OE :rolleyes:

Mozilla - I highly recommend it :) It's a browser, email, and IRC client in one.
    Plus it has the advantage of being improved constantly and is massively immune to OE related problems.

Alternatively there's Thunderbird (look for it on the Mozilla page linked to above). I haven't tried it, but it's the standalone email application of Mozilla, so it's bound to be great :)

<edit>
    Also, if you have several accounts (IMAP or POP or mixture of both), you can have a different smtp server assigned to each, and replying to a message in a given account will automatically use that account's "FROM" details and smtp server.

It is what it's.

Advertisement