Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning if u r new to broadband

• 02-09-2003 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

hello all..

just to let anyone who has just signed up for broadband thereis a limit to how much u can download and can be uploaded from you.... 5gb a month with esatbt and 4 with eircom.

i was told about the 5 gb limit download but nothing about the uploads and went way over my limit ( as i let everyone upload all the time) i was disconnected till the start of the next month..... i kicked up a big fuss and am getting a month free.... but just watch for it

frith

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And GET RID of Kazaa or you are subsidising them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

erm this is really kind of old news most ppl who sign up for broadband with eircom/IOL/UTV know that there is a limit to what u can download so there's no need for the warning really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Frith

the sales staff in esat were not aware of any limit on uploads and therefore did'nt pass on the info.... so i's say there r a lot of new people who might not know.... anyway u must have very little to do to be bothered posting that reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    erm this is really kind of old news most ppl who sign up for broadband with eircom/IOL/UTV know that there is a limit to what u can download so there's no need for the warning really

Its certainly news to me if they are capping Uploads . Are you sure about this. Also you might of been better posting this in the other Broadband Forum (Sci/Tech -> Net Comms -> Broadband). The layout of boards has been changed recently and i think its a lot harder to find certain boards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

traffic is traffic. It costs much the same in either direction. Since historically mostly people browse and download rather than "host", they say "download".

Hosting can be VERY costly. I put a link to a site on a broadband hosted WWW server on a Forum posting once and within hours users "inside" the firewall could not easily browse at all as almost all the bandwidth (an connections) both ways was used up.

Every Internet transaction has "upload" and "download" component..

From least to most traffic:

Upload:
    Click on URL
    someone access text page on your own hosted site
    you "Post" a form / cgi script etc
    someone access file on your PC
    Someone access very graphical page on your PC

Download:
    someone click on URL on your own hosted site
    someone post a form to your own hosted site
    Access a remote ftp site
    You download page very graphic

As soon as you host mail, http, ftp or kazaa sneekware you potentially having MUCH more traffic overall than you would generate, which is why you can get reverse ADSL, i.e. the down and up channels are reversed. This is same price as the traffic is the same overall, suits much better if you hosting a Web or File server. (10 of them and one of you)

• Advertisement
Advertisement