Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wi-Fi Public Internet Access - Hot Spots and Aerials

• 02-09-2003 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello,

I am wondering about getting an 802.11b wireless card as I would like to be able to connect to the internet in places like Heuston Station etc but I have a few queries:

1. Would I need to get a card with a little aerial at the side?

2. Where are the hotspots? I know of one in the Shelbourne Hotel and Heuston Station but don't know where else you can browse?

Thanks for the help,

Tony.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

any card you buy will have a built in antenna, so if you're near the hotspot that'll do fine. They'll have built the hotspot to support users with ordinary cards.

Some pubs like the globe have hotspots, run by some new company who claim to be irelands largest independant wireless network. They must have handily avoided noticing IrishWAN.

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 datonster

Cheers for that Greg.

What's the story with IrishWAN.org? Do you really need an outdoor antennae to get connected. They are talking about having to run cable to an external aerial.

Again thanks for the reply,

Tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

If you want to connect your house up then almost certainly you will, unless you're within a few hundred feet with clear line of sight.

Although if you dont mind sitting outside near to a node you can connect with your normal card. I can use mine from the bus-stop, but I'd probably get mugged :)

Greg

Advertisement