Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Networking and Optical Communications

• 02-09-2003 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello

Iam thinking of doing this course i was doing software development did first year got pissed off with all the programming.So anyone doing this course could you tell me is there much programming in it and is it hard and what lanuages do they do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

C or C++ i think.
    Not sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

VB i think this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

It was c a couple of years ago when I was doing it, it is now VB (since last year I believe) hard to tell though, I'm told there making lego robot making part of the IT courses this year because it helps students understand about arrays and memory allocations, you never know, leave it another year and you might stickelbricks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

definately VB, vb5 or 6, not sure which. a few eyars ago it used to be c or c++. VB is the main language last year. there is also a part of the course which teaches you some simple c for use on a shell. a few simple loops and that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

dont let the name of the course mislead you..
    I did first year of ti and got pissed off
    It mostly consists of maths physics and electronics, you do some programming too was c and assembly when I did it,
    In first year it has nothin to do with networking so if it is networking u wanna do think again but on the other hand if its maths and physics u like you will enjoy it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

it changed for the ppl ho did 1st year this year. t actually does have networkin stuff in it. when i did 1st yr there was next to no networkin stuff but now there is.i just finished 2nd year and in my opinion its the best course to do if u wanna go on and do the other dip & deg puter courses!!

btw, is there any point in us even replyin coz joe bloggs seems to have come and gone!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CNOC sucks c**k!

KILL NORMAN
    Luckily, he's not teaching in the course anymore.

Physics; lots of stuff on lasers, wire's, etc; detailed stuff.

Electronics Practical; Very good (French dude was a good laff).
    Electronics Theory; *shudder* Hard. EXTREMELY technical.

Maths; Not too bad, but still crapp0. (I only got a D in Pass Maths in the LC). If you got B in Pass Maths, or above, you may be alright.

You'll also find that Physics, Electronics, and Maths all cross over each other.

This course is a great course, but the teachers which I had were shi7 (esp. the 2 eltronic teachers after x-mas), and the info was so detailed, that my brain got fried.

Please note; to pass, it REALLY HELPS if you have done electronics and physics in the LC, and yer damn good at Maths (esp. in algerbra).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Moonbeam, Syco. the course's changed a lot since we were in it. It's a shame, I Think we signed up for it on the piss poorest year possible. They now have Networking in 1st year, and Norman doesn't do the phisics anymore, although I thought he was alright (he made us measure the college with a stick for out first continual assessment, that was so a first year prank on us)...

Paddy: your turn to measure the building.
    Me: F*** you I ain't doin that shi*.
    Paddy: why not?
    Me: because it's not cool.
    Paddy: what is cool?
    Me: look up cool in the dictonary, you'll see a picture of a man measuring a building with a stick with a big red line through it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joe bloggs

Great info just what i needed to know.Looks like iam going doing the course and thanks to all that posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by Spacedog
    Moonbeam, Syco. the course's changed a lot since we were in it. It's a shame, I Think we signed up for it on the piss poorest year possible.

Nice to know. One of two of me mates r thinking of doing the course, via Ballyfermot PLC (has unofficial links with that peticular course).

Still, you quit before x-mas, I think. There were 2 crappie electronic teachers there after x-mas. All in all, it was a pity about the bad management of the course, because it was nice course, as ye were taught on a wide selection of stuff. Seemingly, if we had Santa (the scientist with the white beard), we'd have all done better, and if we had the same (electronic) teachers all the way thru, it'd have been better.
    I still remember the physics x-mas test.
    • 12 questions.
    • Write down each formula used, and the full explanation of your answer.
    Waited 20 minutes, and all but 5 left the building. Ye just know the f***er never taught or recieved any training on teaching, at all, before that course. :( :mad: :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Svens..... doesnt sound very french to me:P
    (that maybe spelt wrong)
    pity the electrocis lab floor is coated in rubber,we could have had lotsa fun otherwise:)

Advertisement